US Alternate Tests Positive

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Alternate on US women's gymnastics team tests positive for COVID-19

Let the speculation begin.

I believe it has been confirmed to the press as to who it is. I am reading that Al Fong has confirmed that it is Kara. :(

1626699939255.png

Are any other gymnasts in quarantine? Does anyone know?
Kara Eaker, 18, tested positive, coach Al Fong confirmed in a text message to USA TODAY Sports on Monday night. Leanne Wong, who trains with Eaker at GAGE outside of Kansas City, is also quarantining after being deemed a close contact, Fong said.

Kara's quarantine is 10-14 days. Leanne until around July 31st. So WAG is down 2 alternates with a week to go. I know the Olympics is supposed to be an experience, but if we want a team, vaccinated or not, these women need to be in a bubble until after they compete.

Everyone thought Kara's first positive test was the false one, but with 3 positives and 1 negative, it seems like the false test was the negative... Which isn't exactly comforting.

This is what the BBC writes...
"A female USA gymnast has tested positive for Covid-19 and a team member has been identified as a close contact."
Does this mean a gymnast on the actual team is in quarantine?

This is what the BBC writes...
"A female USA gymnast has tested positive for Covid-19 and a team member has been identified as a close contact."
Does this mean a gymnast on the actual team is in quarantine?
Maybe it's written in this manner because Kara and Leanne are 'team members' outside of Team USA, but it's been confirmed by Al Fong that Kara and Leanne are in quarantine. Al is with them, though he isn't required to quarantine themselves at this time.

She was vaccinated too. If only people had some sense and didn't believe "the jab" makes them invincible. They should all be as isolated as possible.

At this rate maybe MyKayla will be the only one left on the team since she's already had covid. It will be like that Kids in the Hall Olympics sketch where the entire US team is taken out and it's just one guy left LOL. Which was also in Tokyo, strangely enough.

She was vaccinated too. If only people had some sense and didn't believe "the jab" makes them invincible. They should all be as isolated as possible.

At this rate maybe MyKayla will be the only one left on the team since she's already had covid. It will be like that Kids in the Hall Olympics sketch where the entire US team is taken out and it's just one guy left LOL. Which was also in Tokyo, strangely enough.
I liked the "Kids In the Hall" reference, LOL. I don't remember that one but my older brother and I watched that show regularly growing up. Brings back memories. I'll have to find that sketch online!

Maybe it's written in this manner because Kara and Leanne are 'team members' outside of Team USA, but it's been confirmed by Al Fong that Kara and Leanne are in quarantine. Al is with them, though he isn't required to quarantine themselves at this time.
I believe the alternates are kept separate from the main team. MyKayla and Jade are with the main team though, there were footages of them traveling together.

Also, Leanne was not vaccinated as of June 28. Not sure about her current status, but 21 days from June 28 (recommended interval for Pfizer) is today.

I believe the alternates are kept separate from the main team. MyKayla and Jade are with the main team though, there were footages of them traveling together.
As of today, they are separate. Previously, both groups were training in the same gym (though rotating separately) and they all traveled together to Tokyo.

I liked the "Kids In the Hall" reference, LOL. I don't remember that one but my older brother and I watched that show regularly growing up. Brings back memories. I'll have to find that sketch online!

Hopefully I can put a yt link up. I laugh at the idea but it's really sad also. What if a lot of top athletes end up not being able to compete due to covid tests. At what point would people just not take these games seriously? I guess it's not likely to knock out that many though.

At what point would people just not take these games seriously? I guess it's not likely to knock out that many though.
Thank you for the link!

Many other professional sports that continued after COVID last year were viewed differently, in terms of whether their championships/other achievements really "mattered" because of the impact of COVID. I'm personally not surprised by what we are seeing now, with so many athletes from around the world preparing for the OGs. There will be cases up to, and likely during, the Olympics. As you said, though, hopefully not widespread enough to make teams unable to compete. Whatever these athletes achieve at these games will be significant (and well deserved IMO) but there will be people who want to put an asterisk after any medals won this year. Time will tell.

Can anybody explain the process for what happens when team members as well as alternates test positive? Can USA send an alternate for an alternate that tests positive? How does all of this work?

Hopefully I can put a yt link up. I laugh at the idea but it's really sad also. What if a lot of top athletes end up not being able to compete due to covid tests. At what point would people just not take these games seriously? I guess it's not likely to knock out that many though.

That's so funny

Can anybody explain the process for what happens when team members as well as alternates test positive? Can USA send an alternate for an alternate that tests positive? How does all of this work?
I believe the deadline to file athletes with the IOC was early July, so no other athletes can be added.

I fine the isolation/quarantine/close contact rules are clear as mud, so you're guess is as good as mine there.

Kara tested positive, then negative, then trained with the team for a couple days before testing positive again twice, but only Leanne is a close enough contact to warrant isolation? Lucky for the the US team, but still confusing to me.

I think the NBA did the "bubble" thing very successfully during the playoffs last year. Rather surprising that something like this wasn't implemented for the Olympic athletes.

I think the NBA did the "bubble" thing very successfully during the playoffs last year. Rather surprising that something like this wasn't implemented for the Olympic athletes.
Especially since for many of them, unlike the NBA which plays every year, this might be their last and/or only Olympic shot. And they're being careless? I just don't get it. Maybe someone should do an analysis of our chances if Simone gets covid... sigh.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back