irritated with USAG and Simone crew

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

View attachment 8105
I love Suni and I’m sure her dad meant well but I don’t like this quote.Simone didn’t let Suni win.

I don't love it either, but he is a dad who is 1. very excited that his kiddo just won Olympic GOLD, and 2. is not used to be in the public eye and having everything he says critiqued.

I am sure he was trying to show some respect and support to Simone, and it just came out wrong.

I LOVE watching that family! They are just so full of love!

I’d also like to add that ADHD is a real thing & the medication Simone took in 2016 is 100% illegal in Japan. I don’t know if she still takes them, but I take the same thing and it’s been harder and harder to get bc of National shortages. I can usually push through for a few days and manage, but if it’s out of stock for a week or more, man oh man!!!, the fight for focus to perform the most basic things at work is so hard. My ADHD brain knows what focus feels like so, even without meds, it’s constantly trying to get there, but it ends up being grossly impaired which just makes me even more upset. Trying to explain the ADHD brain fog is about as difficult as trying to explain the twisties to non-gymnastics people. If she’s dealing with both of those things…..

they were working on allowing it during the Olympics. there were some laws being discussed. I cannot find the status of those, but it would have affected a dozen or so Olympians.

So if Simone's mental block is limited to twisting skills, does this mean we're going to get to see the Yurchenko double pike in Vault finals? Does she have a second vault that doesn't require twisting?

So if Simone's mental block is limited to twisting skills, does this mean we're going to get to see the Yurchenko double pike in Vault finals? Does she have a second vault that doesn't require twisting?
Honestly I doubt it. Even if the mental block is limited to twisting, I suspect a yurchenko double pike requires total confidence in your abilities, and in particular in your ability not to bail in the middle of the skill. I doubt she throws it in her current mental state.
And no, she does not have a second vault without twisting, although I wouldn't mind her showing up just to do a YDP.

I feel like she might do beam with an easier dismount (double pike ?) ?

Simone had previously mentioned her desire to compete on behalf of all the girls that were abused by Nasser. Maybe part of her desire to keep going was to prove that the Nasser experience (and everything that went with it like USAG’s betrayal of those girls) was not going to stop her.

I’d also like to add that ADHD is a real thing & the medication Simone took in 2016 is 100% illegal in Japan. I don’t know if she still takes them, but I take the same thing and it’s been harder and harder to get bc of National shortages. I can usually push through for a few days and manage, but if it’s out of stock for a week or more, man oh man!!!, the fight for focus to perform the most basic things at work is so hard. My ADHD brain knows what focus feels like so, even without meds, it’s constantly trying to get there, but it ends up being grossly impaired which just makes me even more upset. Trying to explain the ADHD brain fog is about as difficult as trying to explain the twisties to non-gymnastics people. If she’s dealing with both of those things…..
As somebody who was told they had ADD and took adderall as a teenager, I can tell you this is a very strong drug even at small doses. When I took it, I was extremely focused as it is a stimulant, but coming off it I was extremely depressed, almost suicidal and very fatigued. What goes up, comes down. It's illegal in other places for a reason. It's just a step down from methamphetamine. It was really hard but I got myself off the drug completely when I realized what it was doing to me. During the withdrawal I slept almost all day because my body was so tired from being stimulated. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody no matter how bad your focus is.

As somebody who took adderall as a teenager, I can tell you this is a very strong drug even at small doses. When I took it, I was extremely focused as it is a stimulant, but coming off it I was extremely depressed, almost suicidal and very fatigued.
I was just going to ask about this. It's very interesting if Simone was on an ADHD drug, couldn't take it in Tokyo and what the possible withdrawal effects would be. Can this be substantiated?

I was just going to ask about this. It's very interesting if Simone was on an ADHD drug, couldn't take it in Tokyo and what the possible withdrawal effects would be. Can this be substantiated?
From a little bit of research i found that they were allowed to take it.

from teamusa.org: Regarding stimulants, Japan has strict regulations on import, export and possession etc.,
based on the Stimulants Control Law (Law No. 252 of 1951). A special arrangement is in
place specifically for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games to allow athletes
taking these medicines for therapeutic use, and with an approved Therapeutic Use
Exemption, to import personal supplies for the treatment of their medical condition while
they are in Japan. These special procedures are described below. Failure to comply with
these procedures may lead to a violation of the Law.

IMO this thread needs to stop. It's part of the bigger problem.

Simone is an adult human being. She is not public property, a literary character for us to analyze, or a child for us to parent. She doesn't owe any of us an announcement about what she's going to do or not do next or any more of an explanation than what she's offered. Worried about what she might be seeing online right now? Then let's stop adding to it in the form of partially-informed speculation, blame casting, or critiques (including ones disguised as concern). Let's take responsibility for our own behavior & role in the immense pressure she's experiencing instead of judging other people.

She also addresses timing. Started unexpectedly after qualification. Was too late to swap anyone in. So all the “irritation” you’re feeling is not justified.

What’s that old saying about assumptions?…

Reread the original post. My irritation was related to the whole crew leading up to the Olympics, not just while there. There were public signs that she was having significant difficulties mentally and physically. If there are public signs, the private signs were even stronger. Observation, not assumptions.

they were working on allowing it during the Olympics. there were some laws being discussed. I cannot find the status of those, but it would have affected a dozen or so Olympians.
Business Insider reported that she has not been allowed to take her medication while in Japan but I can't find confirmation from another source so I don't know the validity of it.

Reread the original post. My irritation was related to the whole crew leading up to the Olympics, not just while there. There were public signs that she was having significant difficulties mentally and physically. If there are public signs, the private signs were even stronger. Observation, not assumptions.

Business Insider reported that she has not been allowed to take her medication while in Japan but I can't find confirmation from another source so I don't know the validity of it.

they are going off the same info we have. ALthough there is a document from Team USA outlining how the athletes could continue their medication, even if it was banned in Tokyo.

Just 3 things.

When you step out onto the world stage you open yourself to strangers opinions. Some you‘ll like, some not so much. you don’t step out and then say folks can only say good stuff. There is good and bad to every career path. And let’s remember this is a 24 yr old woman who has been in the spotlight for over a decade at her second Olympics. None of this is new for her. She is not a 16 yr old phenomenon thrust suddenly into the spotlight.

Then the “if she broke a bone would have it have been an issue” thing. Absolutely not. Correct. And I think it’s not that she pulled out. Of course she should take care of herself. JMO, and yes I’m entitled. It’s the making it into a heroic thing. So to continue the “broken bone” thing. No I wouldn’t expect someone with a physical injury to continue. And I wouldn’t consider it heroic of them to withdraw. Same for Simone and her mental issues. withdraw and be done. It’s not heroic.

She should of had her press conference, said her piece and said I’m not going to speak on it anymore because there are other women doing their thing we need to support and focus on them. In the strongest clearest way. Because when she withdrew it was no longer about her. Back to the broken bone thing, get your cast, and stay out of the others light. Don’t sit front and center of a competition with your cast and not think it’s a distraction to the the team doing their work. Gee why is ever looking at me and my big fat cast. She should of said “I’ll talk to you all after the their work and the games are done”. And she should of stayed out of the arena. And of course she could still be supportive behind the scenes and out of photo op range.

Of course she should take care of herself. Just do it quietly until everyone else Is done competing.

And regarding SM. It’s not only good. If you are not prepared for that don’t do SM. I’ve had this conversation many times with my almost 16 yr old, who reads my FB page and other SM… And I ask her periodically if she is ready to venture in…..
”Mom, I don’t need the drama”.

The reason it is considered heroic is because no female gymnast has ever been able to do it before. Ground breaking, heroic, it is amazing that she felt comfortable enough to speak her mind and everyone listened. So, in that respect, choose your word; heroic, brave, etc.

I disagree that she should not be in the arena. I think she shoudl be there cheering for her teammates, as they all are. I loved seeing her in the team final, go from the role of super star to cheerleader, and I could see her teammates appreciated it. In any sport, if you can (meaning you aren't in a hospital ER), you bandage up and go out and cheer for your team.

I think everyone involved did a poor job explaining what happened and that's what caused so much ill will. IN any event, I would hate to for this to be how Simone's career ends. I hope she will consider hanging on for Worlds if not the next Olympics, its only three years away.

Just 3 things.

When you step out onto the world stage you open yourself to strangers opinions. Some you‘ll like, some not so much. you don’t step out and then say folks can only say good stuff. There is good and bad to every career path. And let’s remember this is a 24 yr old woman who has been in the spotlight for over a decade at her second Olympics. None of this is new for her. She is not a 16 yr old phenomenon thrust suddenly into the spotlight.

Then the “if she broke a bone would have it have been an issue” thing. Absolutely not. Correct. And I think it’s not that she pulled out. Of course she should take care of herself. JMO, and yes I’m entitled. It’s the making it into a heroic thing. So to continue the “broken bone” thing. No I wouldn’t expect someone with a physical injury to continue. And I wouldn’t consider it heroic of them to withdraw. Same for Simone and her mental issues. withdraw and be done. It’s not heroic.

She should of had her press conference, said her piece and said I’m not going to speak on it anymore because there are other women doing their thing we need to support and focus on them. In the strongest clearest way. Because when she withdrew it was no longer about her. Back to the broken bone thing, get your cast, and stay out of the others light. Don’t sit front and center of a competition with your cast and not think it’s a distraction to the the team doing their work. Gee why is ever looking at me and my big fat cast. She should of said “I’ll talk to you all after the their work and the games are done”. And she should of stayed out of the arena. And of course she could still be supportive behind the scenes and out of photo op range.

Of course she should take care of herself. Just do it quietly until everyone else Is done competing.

And regarding SM. It’s not only good. If you are not prepared for that don’t do SM. I’ve had this conversation many times with my almost 16 yr old, who reads my FB page and other SM… And I ask her periodically if she is ready to venture in…..
”Mom, I don’t need the drama”.
Her vault score helped win a team silver medal. She should not have stayed with the team?

People are praising her for being brave/heroic because they thought it was about her mental health but we now know this is not a mental health issue. It is a mind/body disconnect. A true physical issue, like a fractured bone, where she literally could not compete no matter how bad she may have wanted to, without risking her life. That's not brave/heroic. That is smart and proper and what should be expected of anyone in that situation.

I agree with Tweb in that they did a very poor job of explaining the situation at the beginning. If they had come out initially and said that she is having air awareness problems, which was clear in the vault videos, most of the criticism about her quitting and being soft and can't handle the pressure would not have happened. We can all debate whether that should matter and whether people should be kinder, and we should all try better. That's all very well but we are dealing in reality and how news is relayed has a lot to do with how people react to it.

as for Simone coming back to worlds or in 3 yrs, I am doubting it. She is on record saying she doesn't enjoy the training anymore and that she is doing this for others, not herself. Sounds like she is ready to find her next passion - that may still be in the gym world, just not the high level training/competing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back