COVID Protocols?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BHL920

Proud Parent
Curious to know what COVID protocols your gyms are following these days, especially with the Delta variant in the mix. Our gym does not require masks for either kids or adults, and several of the coaches are unvaccinated (several others are). Some of the older gymnasts are also vaccinated but obviously anyone under 12 is not. Is your gym requiring masks? Vaccinations? Do you feel safe sending your gymnast?

Gymnasts are asked to wear masks upon entry and exit but not during practice. I believe the staff is vaccinated - we had a couple cases among staff last year - but I don't know for sure. Parents were discouraged from watching practice last year and that has relaxed, but adults are encouraged to wear masks at their discretion. The staff still cleans equipment regularly and the kids still wash/sanitize hands regularly. We also limit entry to the front door and exit from the back gym door, but that has also eased somewhat since the vaccine became more available.

I feel OK sending my DD, who is not old enough for vaccination (and her teammates are young as well). She wears her mask at the appropriate times. The gym did an excellent job overall handling the 2 cases we had last year and share information with the families regularly.

Still doing temp checks, hand sanitizing and cleaning but eased up on the entry and exit point restrictions. Masks just reinstated based on local health department guidelines while we are in the midst of a surge due to Delta variant.

Almost all coaches are vaccinated along with a good percentage of the kids who are eligible. We had some positive cases over the winter and early spring, but none recently. I am hoping that continues! I am happy with the steps that have been taken and appreciate the gym being proactive.

Kids wear masks in and out and inbetween events, temp checks at the door, unvaccinated people need to wear a mask in the viewing area, all the cleaning protocols are still in place. The main changes are more kids in the gym (occupancy restrictions are gone in the state now) and vaccinated people can refrain from wearing masks and they require you show your vaccine card so no "on your honor" for that. I am pretty comfortable with what they are doing. I kinda missed when there were less kids in the gym but that also meant less hours so all in all glad we are mostly back to normal.

Viewing area closed, parents asked to drop off and pick up kids. But they can watch from outside.

As the kids come into classes we wash or sanitise their hands. We do the same upon exit.

Coaches wear masks (required in our State at least until the end of next week). Kids over 12 wear masks in and out, but not when training. This is likely to be dropped by the State soon.

We take our water bottles around the gym with us so the kids aren’t all piling into the locker room.

Vaccines are not required because they are very hard to get in Australia. Most people just can’t get one yet. I had my first dose a few days ago but most of my coaches are not even eligible to be vaccinated yet.

Viewing area is still closed, so drop off/pick up by car in the back. Temperature screens at drop off (but no more form to fill out ahead of time). Coaches are masked (and vaccinated). Gymnasts have to wear masks when entering and walking between events. While waiting for turns, etc they are encouraged to either distance or pull mask on (this has gotten less strict, but my daughter says that they still remind the girls). They still have their own bags of chalk. I've been pleased with the precautions that the gym has taken. I feel greatful that my own gymnast is vaccinated, but obviously so many of the younger girls cannot be.

Masks are NOT required. Of course, I still wear mine to keep my sister safe.
Staff still do temp checks.
Larger groups. Instead of having 3 practice times 1.5 hours each, it is now 2 practice times 2 hours each.
Still no community chalk.
Lots of hand sanitizing.
Visitor seating is still 6 feet apart.

Keep in mind, in Queensland Australia where Aussie-Coach’s gym is located. The number of positive cases is less than 5 per 425,000 people with super strict masking and distancing requirements. If any state in the US had numbers even close to the numbers in Australia there would be no added safety requirement.

Keep in mind, in Queensland Australia where Aussie-Coach’s gym is located. The number of positive cases is less than 5 per 425,000 people with super strict masking and distancing requirements. If any state in the US had numbers even close to the numbers in Australia there would be no added safety requirement.
Bahahahaha I’m in Florida where our positivity rate has hit 20% - we have communal chalks, we had summer camp with 65+ kids crammed into the building all maskless at the same time as team girls, all like 80 members of team are now in the building at the same overlapping times. No masks in sight. All parents inside. We have never closed since that brief quarantine period from March till may in 2020. Temperature checks are at a “check your own temp” stand because it was too much work for someone else to check them. And parents will regularly send their kids here and pick them up gojng “oh yeah we’re just on our way to a Covid test since little Johnny here wasn’t feeling well”

You don’t need low numbers to have no safety requirements in the US, you just need to come to the south.

Bahahahaha I’m in Florida where our positivity rate has hit 20% - we have communal chalks, we had summer camp with 65+ kids crammed into the building all maskless at the same time as team girls, all like 80 members of team are now in the building at the same overlapping times. No masks in sight. All parents inside. We have never closed since that brief quarantine period from March till may in 2020. Temperature checks are at a “check your own temp” stand because it was too much work for someone else to check them. And parents will regularly send their kids here and pick them up gojng “oh yeah we’re just on our way to a Covid test since little Johnny here wasn’t feeling well”

You don’t need low numbers to have no safety requirements in the US, you just need to come to the south.
I live in GA, so I understand, LOL. Our gym takes precautions, but not that's because the owners and staff are being cautious vs. any state/local requirements.

I’m in NSW Australia. Our testing positivity rate is 0.36%. (450 or so cases a day, statewide). We’re in shutdown, my kid has not been to gym or school and I haven’t been able to work for nearly eight weeks and competition season has been entirely cancelled for the second year in a row.

I’m vaccinated, most of the coaches are vaccinated or part vaccinated, but none of the gymnasts or teen coaches are as it isn’t that widely available yet.

We’ve been told that when gym goes back it’ll likely have to be outdoors. Which will work to an extent with some gyms with car parks they can use, but that is not my kid’s gym. Honestly not sure what we are going to do.

(We’re only at 51% first dose vaccinated, and appointments are booked out until October in some places and not open at all yet for most people under 18. I want to cry sometimes when I see reports coming out of the USA of doses being destroyed because they’ve sat around unused until they expired.)

And zero of those cases are in the community. The only cases being diagnosed in my state are either in hotel quarantine (required for anyone who has travelled here from interstate or overseas) or in home quarantine. Zero of the diagnosed cases have been out in the community so no risk to others.

But our State is close to JessSyd’s state where they do have COVID, so everyone is very nervous and cautious.

At the moment we are also breaking kids up into groups right from the start of training. Usually they would do their warm ups in larger groups, which is often a lot more fun you can do warm up games and interact with different gymnasts from around the gym. As an extra precaution we are splitting them into their training groups as soon as they walk in the door so they are only interacting with one group of people.

I’m in NSW Australia. Our testing positivity rate is 0.36%. (450 or so cases a day, statewide). We’re in shutdown, my kid has not been to gym or school and I haven’t been able to work for nearly eight weeks and competition season has been entirely cancelled for the second year in a row.

I’m vaccinated, most of the coaches are vaccinated or part vaccinated, but none of the gymnasts or teen coaches are as it isn’t that widely available yet.

We’ve been told that when gym goes back it’ll likely have to be outdoors. Which will work to an extent with some gyms with car parks they can use, but that is not my kid’s gym. Honestly not sure what we are going to do.

(We’re only at 51% first dose vaccinated, and appointments are booked out until October in some places and not open at all yet for most people under 18. I want to cry sometimes when I see reports coming out of the USA of doses being destroyed because they’ve sat around unused until they expired.)
My heart goes out to you guys every day when we hear of the way restrictions are having to get tighter and tighter and when we see how long you have all been locked up. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be.

Are the gyms doing anything like zoom classes?

In Texas when our numbers were at their very lowest we had appropriately 2% positivity rate. At that point, restrictions were down to almost nothing.

My heart goes out to you guys every day when we hear of the way restrictions are having to get tighter and tighter and when we see how long you have all been locked up. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be.

Are the gyms doing anything like zoom classes?
Zoom classes three times a week.

My daughter had huge zoom fatigue from zoom gym last year and I was not sure she would be up to going back for more, but the coaches are working very hard to make things interesting, to give the sessions variety, and to nurture the social and team building side of things. It gives her some structure and something to look forward to so I am very grateful for it.

Zoom classes three times a week.

My daughter had huge zoom fatigue from zoom gym last year and I was not sure she would be up to going back for more, but the coaches are working very hard to make things interesting, to give the sessions variety, and to nurture the social and team building side of things. It gives her some structure and something to look forward to so I am very grateful for it.
That is really good to hear! Teaching gymnastics on zoom is soooo hard. You are so limited in what you can do, keeping it fresh is such a challenge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back