MAG Which level? Or can a L8 be successful without twisting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

SPX

Proud Parent
So ds and coach are working on figuring out what level he'll compete this year. Anything from 7 to 9 is on the table at the moment. New skills are coming fast; he really took off this summer. Twisting is his sticking point. He can sometimes twist in back rotating flips but front rotation plus trying to twist ends with him faceplanting. Any thoughts on how to get that twisting? His teammates and coach have helpfully suggested "you just twist"

Also it seems like the other skills are coming, even high bar release skills which terrify him. If twisting remains elusive, can he have a reasonable year in L8 or would he be better to hold off and do 7?

I would say if his other events are at a L8, then go ahead and do that. It can also depend on his age. If he is older, then maybe 7 to 9, but if not, 8 to 9 would be fine :)

I agree with skschlag, if other events are fine he'd be OK with 8 or 9 and no twisting. Easier and super clean go a loooong way in level 8 and 9!

My son hates floor twists and just got a full last year. He did his last competition in 2019 as a Level 9 with a half twist. He did fine on floor with a low difficulty but clean floor. His other events were all solid. So it’s fine to not have twisting in a Level 9 floor

And the lack of twisting ability has bothered me. He can do a double back tuck on floor with the support mat, but just can’t twist like everyone else. I’ve just learned to not worry about it. He can do stuff on pommel and pbars other boys can’t, so it all evens out.

And the lack of twisting ability has bothered me. He can do a double back tuck on floor with the support mat, but just can’t twist like everyone else. I’ve just learned to not worry about it. He can do stuff on pommel and pbars other boys can’t, so it all evens out.
My son is similar, but he can twist better than flip. But pommel is his strength and pbars a close 2nd.

My son has never been a twister. At L6 when twisting was first introduced, he could not do it. I thought it would probably make him unable to progress, but it’s only one event. His teammates are doing doubles , he can’t and that’s just him. He did a straddle press to handstand with pirouette on pbars and Russians on ph before anyone else on team and I completely disregarded because I was so concerned with a twist on floor, so it’s just a kid dependent. I think there are just as many parents freaking out because their sons can’t do a full twist on floor but don’t look to what their kid can do on other events, twists and giants seem to be considered make or break for boys compulsory but not necessarily translate to overall coordinate to 6 events successful performance, unlike girls where with 4 events, where 1 event can break tou

Thanks for the feedback! He and his coach put routines together he feels good about so L8 it is!
I was curious mostly because he was stressed about it because hes the only one in his group that doesn't have the twisting and he had no idea what he needed in the routines for different levels. Our gym had 3 of 4 men's coaches change this summer, including the head coach. And he got bumped to the highest practice group, partly for logistical reasons and partly because that's where the outgoing coaches think he belongs. So he was feeling a bit out of his depth. He seems to have a handle on it now and he still has a month and a half before the inhouse meet that starts the season.

Thanks for the feedback! He and his coach put routines together he feels good about so L8 it is!
I was curious mostly because he was stressed about it because hes the only one in his group that doesn't have the twisting and he had no idea what he needed in the routines for different levels. Our gym had 3 of 4 men's coaches change this summer, including the head coach. And he got bumped to the highest practice group, partly for logistical reasons and partly because that's where the outgoing coaches think he belongs. So he was feeling a bit out of his depth. He seems to have a handle on it now and he still has a month and a half before the inhouse meet that starts the season.

Sounds like he is stepping up to meet the challenge! Cannot wait to see what he does in L8!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back