Parents Shorts at practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not well-versed in the rules but our gym seems to think they have to be black or match the leo colour. Happy if you prove them wrong!
5DA09A19-91EC-49AD-8E8F-E09422D8F3F6.png

A private club can make their own rules re leotards, similarly you can switch gyms. Many gyms insist on buns for hair as well. My dd doesn’t care either way for practice but believes she looks better in a leo for meets and won’t consider shorts.

A private club can make their own rules re leotards, similarly you can switch gyms. Many gyms insist on buns for hair as well. My dd doesn’t care either way for practice but believes she looks better in a leo for meets and won’t consider shorts.
Yep

While I agree gyms are free to set their own dress code, I do not feel that they can over rule this policy in their gym; they certainly cannot in competition. If a gymnast chooses to wear black shorts in competition, she can. This rule was made so that more would feel comfortable in competition. IMO, it empowers the gymnast by saying, “Hey, it’s YOUR body, YOU choose how much is seen.” I really think the grievance council would side with the gymnast even if it was a private club’s dress code.

While I agree gyms are free to set their own dress code, I do not feel that they can over rule this policy in their gym; they certainly cannot in competition. If a gymnast chooses to wear black shorts in competition, she can. This rule was made so that more would feel comfortable in competition. IMO, it empowers the gymnast by saying, “Hey, it’s YOUR body, YOU choose how much is seen.” I really think the grievance council would side with the gymnast even if it was a private club’s dress code.
Based on that logic, my kid could just wear whatever Leo she wants to her meets. No need for a team Leo or warm up. Heck she could just tell the coach yeah I know you want the bun thing but I’m not feeling it so I’m out. That would not fly at our gym.

Ultimately the gym decides on the meet uniform. And no, a private club decides what the dress code is.

Being from another country I am not sure how it works for USAG. But each gym is a private business, as long as they are following laws, i suspect they can set their own dress code.

USAG itself can’t deny a child and he right to wear shorts, the competition can’t stop a child wearing shorts or deduct points for wearing shorts.

I believe the private clubs can dictate what their team wears, as long as it doesn’t break the rules (ie no thong leotards).

Gyms have different ethos; some are more particular about giving off a good impression at a meet so want all their athletes in matching leos. Others give preference to listening to their athletes so will allow shorts and leos athletes feel comfortable in! Simple as that, it's up the the gyms policies and staff.

You can look at the dress policy of any given private gym and ask yourself ‘what is the priority for this gym’. If they don’t even allow shorts during practice, then it isn’t the athletes. For some folk that’s OK, and for others it’s a deal breaker.

Shorts are allowed in competitions in my state now and this is new since last competition season. I have yet to hear what my daughter’s club plan to do during competitions but based on everything else they do, I suspect shorts will be optional. I’ve already seen them let a teenager compete when she didn’t want to take off her training shorts. She had good reasons, the club accepted them, and the judges just did whatever judges do when they see shorts in a community sporting competition. Probably nothing - it wasn’t like it was state trials or anything.

You can look at the dress policy of any given private gym and ask yourself ‘what is the priority for this gym’. If they don’t even allow shorts during practice, then it isn’t the athletes. For some folk that’s OK, and for others it’s a deal breaker.

Shorts are allowed in competitions in my state now and this is new since last competition season. I have yet to hear what my daughter’s club plan to do during competitions but based on everything else they do, I suspect shorts will be optional. I’ve already seen them let a teenager compete when she didn’t want to take off her training shorts. She had good reasons, the club accepted them, and the judges just did whatever judges do when they see shorts in a community sporting competition. Probably nothing - it wasn’t like it was state trials or anything.
This should be a nationwide thing, as USAG changed their rules in June of 2021.
I get that gyms are private businesses that can make their own rules, but when those rules aren’t aligned with the vision of the sport being ‘more inclusive’, it would not be a gym of MY choosing for MY kids because, as you stated image comes first and not gymnasts and personal choices with their bodies. It just rubs me the wrong way that they shorts is a ‘safety issue’…..ummm have you ever watched any of the elite girls and collegiate athletes at practice? Tank tops and shorts, Leo’s and shorts. They are doing high level skills, release moves, etc and seem to not have ‘safety issues’.
This can also be said about mobility to certain levels. USAG sets the bar for mobility scores. Most gyms require AA scores much higher than that, and some in my area require higher scores at more than one meet.

, it would not be a gym of MY choosing for MY kids because, as you stated image comes first and not gymnasts and personal choices with their bodies.
Entirely your choice.

My kid would prefer to wear shorts and has never had a practice without having shorts on. I‘m not sure it’s a hill she wants to die on for meets though. But I would certainly encourage her to go for it and find another gym if she was that passionate about it. As it stands now both her club gym and high school team it’s Leo’s, no shorts at meets. None of the HS teams in our area are competing with shorts. And I have not yet seen any club teams competing in shorts either. I’m not even sure the kids know (or care enough to ask). The little ones like leos. And the older ones have just dealt with them for so long. I think it’s going to take a while to change it.

Ours allows whatever they want for practise. Leggings, shorts, crop tops, leotards. As long as it's tight fitting it's not an issue.
Competition they have a long sleeve leotard, no shorts, but I guess that could change. The trampoline girls (and I think tumbling) wear the comp leo with black shorts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back