Parents First level 9 meet concerns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DonPerl

Proud Parent
Hi, my 12 year old dd will be competing her first level 9 meet in a few weeks. She has strong skills, and is very much of a perfectionist. She works every night after practice for example on perfecting her leaps, points, split jumps at home so that she doesn't receive any deduction on those. This trait helped her alot in level 8, and she did very well as a result. However, now in level 9 she isnt competing a very competitive routine on bars or floor ie. toe hecht but no release yet and floor she has her 1.5 full but is not yet connecting to front tuck. Her beam is beautiful, and she has all her skills well polished and her vault is a tsuk pike. She is worried that her nice form and attention to detail wont help her as much in level 9, since she doesnt have all bonuses and release. I am wondering if she could still score well and how much her clean lines and detail will help her scores in level 9.

Clean lines and details will ALWAYS help her score more than if she was getting deductions for being sloppy. But, our experience was that first year level 9 was eye opening with some lower scores than she had ever seen. The flip side of that was that it was really fun to watch the progress throughout the season and the large jumps in score as she some of the more difficult requirements became competition ready!

I watched a level 9 first meet of the season and it was a -train wreck-. If your daughter is competing all 4 events, she’s ahead of a large chunk of girls, I think close to half scratched at least one event, multiple scratched two. Scores in the 6s and 7s aplenty, from all the gyms competing. Less deductions for the things she can control until she gets her connections is always going to benefit her :)

But yeah, maybe mentally prepare her for some low scores and remind her it’s the start of the season and level 9 is a whole different world to level 8

I think level 9 is where they need to learn patience and the "long-game" of it. Especially since she is young, I am sure she has been barrelling through the levels up to this point. But 9 and then 10 is really where not only do the skill requirements get more serious, but the scoring does as well. Scores can get really low.

Wow! Thanks for the insight. This is really helpful to know as she doesn't have a great idea about what to expect. She and her coach were considering having her scratch bars, but she has really nice form and looks great on bars, with the skills that she has so they decided to have her go for it, and work towards her releases for upcoming meets. Happy to learn this so we don't go in with high expectations ☺️

Wow! Thanks for the insight. This is really helpful to know as she doesn't have a great idea about what to expect. She and her coach were considering having her scratch bars, but she has really nice form and looks great on bars, with the skills that she has so they decided to have her go for it, and work towards her releases for upcoming meets. Happy to learn this so we don't go in with high expectations ☺️
I cant urge you enough, enjoy the ride. Since she is going to be at this 9-10 level for the next 5-6 years here is where the "its a marathon not a sprint" adage comes in. Good luck! Our first meet is next week, so excited for the season.

The biggest difference in scoring starting at L9 is the deductions that come from missed connections and bonuses. It gets worse in L10. A well designed 10.0 SV routine can go into the low 8s due to a poorly timed fall that has connections/bonus attached to it. It's a real eye opener.

That aside, I haven't seen a L9 meet in several years but I seem to remember that a toe hect on bars is fine for that level. You should only need one transition/release skill. My d had only a bail and she had a 10.0 SV.

I would suggest some goal setting around the skills she intends to compete. Then after the comp she can assess her performance based on her current potential/standard and assess if she met/exceeded her current standard. Then she can focus less on the numbers that may not align with what she is used to seeing and often don't tell the true story of a gymnasts progress.

I would suggest some goal setting around the skills she intends to compete. Then after the comp she can assess her performance based on her current potential/standard and assess if she met/exceeded her current standard. Then she can focus less on the numbers that may not align with what she is used to seeing and often don't tell the true story of a gymnasts progress.
That is really green advice! Certainly will make for building confidence as opposed to potentially breaking it.

I cant urge you enough, enjoy the ride. Since she is going to be at this 9-10 level for the next 5-6 years here is where the "its a marathon not a sprint" adage comes in. Good luck! Our first meet is next week, so excited for the season.
Good luck at your first meet.

Honestly, I think it sounds like she is going to do great! I think having clean, solid skills is definitely a plus. My daughter was a level 9 last season and our experience was a little different than some of the others have mentioned. It could just be the meets we went to, but I didn't see too many of the really low scoring or missing events that others mentioned. For the most part, our girls scored quite well. I mean my daughter got some low scores on floor at the beginning of the season, but she earned them! She fell on beam at most meets and still scored in the mid 8s. Her one low scoring bar routine was a disaster with multiple falls (once she went over on her blind, the rest of the routine was just a mess), but the rest she scored around 9.2-9.5 on. She even earned as high as 9.55 on floor and floor is generally her weakest event and she didn't have any super competitive skills (no double back and she took her front full out after the first meet) And many of our girls only did piked vaults and still scored in the low to mid 9s. So I think your daughter could do great with all of her skills and attention to detail. Have fun and enjoy the season!

Honestly, I think it sounds like she is going to do great! I think having clean, solid skills is definitely a plus. My daughter was a level 9 last season and our experience was a little different than some of the others have mentioned. It could just be the meets we went to, but I didn't see too many of the really low scoring or missing events that others mentioned. For the most part, our girls scored quite well. I mean my daughter got some low scores on floor at the beginning of the season, but she earned them! She fell on beam at most meets and still scored in the mid 8s. Her one low scoring bar routine was a disaster with multiple falls (once she went over on her blind, the rest of the routine was just a mess), but the rest she scored around 9.2-9.5 on. She even earned as high as 9.55 on floor and floor is generally her weakest event and she didn't have any super competitive skills (no double back and she took her front full out after the first meet) And many of our girls only did piked vaults and still scored in the low to mid 9s. So I think your daughter could do great with all of her skills and attention to detail. Have fun and enjoy the season!
I think it depends on the gymnast, and the gym! I have 2 level 10 DDs and totally different experiences with each! My older one did pretty well in level 9. She is also one who pays a lot of attention to detail, a big perfectionist! She has brilliant form and had 10.0 start values on all events i think (maybe not floor I can't remember). She scored well in level 9 from her first meet! Of course some meets were better than others but she earned her low scores. My younger daughter didnt have an amazing experience with level 9. She did 2 years level 7 and then skipped 8 so had a huge jump. She had 2 disastrous meets, many falls and tears and then one better meet just before covid shutdown. So depends on the gymnast. Sounds like yours will do great! Good luck to her

I think it depends on the gymnast, and the gym! I have 2 level 10 DDs and totally different experiences with each! My older one did pretty well in level 9. She is also one who pays a lot of attention to detail, a big perfectionist! She has brilliant form and had 10.0 start values on all events i think (maybe not floor I can't remember). She scored well in level 9 from her first meet! Of course some meets were better than others but she earned her low scores. My younger daughter didnt have an amazing experience with level 9. She did 2 years level 7 and then skipped 8 so had a huge jump. She had 2 disastrous meets, many falls and tears and then one better meet just before covid shutdown. So depends on the gymnast. Sounds like yours will do great! Good luck to her
I definitely agree that it all depends. I don't want to make it seem like my daughter did great either. It was definitely not an amazing season for her. I guess I was just saying that it really does depend, because our experience was not being at meets with low scores or gymnasts scratching, etc. And most of our girls scored and placed very similarly to how they did in previous levels. And, I remember asking questions here before her season about what made a competitive routine and got lots of "Oh you need double backs to be competitive" or "you won't do well if you don't have a yurchenko layout", etc and that wasn't really our experience either. It's possible that our experience was unusual though being as it was last year with covid and all. Who knows, maybe a lot of the girls we were competing against were repeating 9 and that's why we didn't see too much of the falling and scary skills?

Most of our girls did have 10.0 start values on every event except vault though. I'm not sure if the OP's daughter does or not, but still I think that clean skills and attention to detail will payoff even in level 9, even if you don't have all the bonuses. Now if you are starting off at a 9.0 start value or something, then it will be hard to be competitive I imagine. Regardless, OP enjoy and have fun!

And @rlm's mom , good luck to your daughters this season too! I can't imagine having 2 level 10s. My daughter has her first meet next weekend and it looks like she *may* be competing 1 event if she is lucky and has a good practice week. lol. Level 10 has proven quite hard for her so far.

I definitely agree that it all depends. I don't want to make it seem like my daughter did great either. It was definitely not an amazing season for her. I guess I was just saying that it really does depend, because our experience was not being at meets with low scores or gymnasts scratching, etc. And most of our girls scored and placed very similarly to how they did in previous levels. And, I remember asking questions here before her season about what made a competitive routine and got lots of "Oh you need double backs to be competitive" or "you won't do well if you don't have a yurchenko layout", etc and that wasn't really our experience either. It's possible that our experience was unusual though being as it was last year with covid and all. Who knows, maybe a lot of the girls we were competing against were repeating 9 and that's why we didn't see too much of the falling and scary skills?

Most of our girls did have 10.0 start values on every event except vault though. I'm not sure if the OP's daughter does or not, but still I think that clean skills and attention to detail will payoff even in level 9, even if you don't have all the bonuses. Now if you are starting off at a 9.0 start value or something, then it will be hard to be competitive I imagine. Regardless, OP enjoy and have fun!

And @rlm's mom , good luck to your daughters this season too! I can't imagine having 2 level 10s. My daughter has her first meet next weekend and it looks like she *may* be competing 1 event if she is lucky and has a good practice week. lol. Level 10 has proven quite hard for her so far.
Good luck to your DD. For us it's one level 9 (12), one level 7 (9) and one level 3, (6) all. competiting their first seasonal meet in 3 weeks, such an emotional roller coaster.

Its level 10, 10 and 7!!. My level 7 is competing later today so will see how that goes. My other 2 are competing next weekend. So we're travelling 2 weeks in a row. All the other meets we're going to all the optionals in our gym go together so that should be easier (besides state etc.). You can't imagine the craziness of getting 3 kids ready for a meet, doing 3 hairs, making sure 3 gym bags are packed etc. @DonPerl will understand it!!

Its level 10, 10 and 7!!. My level 7 is competing later today so will see how that goes. My other 2 are competing next weekend. So we're travelling 2 weeks in a row. All the other meets we're going to all the optionals in our gym go together so that should be easier (besides state etc.). You can't imagine the craziness of getting 3 kids ready for a meet, doing 3 hairs, making sure 3 gym bags are packed etc. @DonPerl will understand it!!
I completely understand, its indeed craziness

I think level 9 is where they need to learn patience and the "long-game" of it. Especially since she is young, I am sure she has been barrelling through the levels up to this point. But 9 and then 10 is really where not only do the skill requirements get more serious, but the scoring does as well. Scores can get really low.
YES. This times a thousand. All of the little hotshots in our area who scored very high on 7 and 8 are in shock over level 9 scores. This is when the metaphor about gymnastics being a marathon and not a sprint really comes into play. It takes a mathematician to figure out the scoring on level 9. I would agree clean form always helps, but it is completely normal for scores to be all over the place on level 9. And I see kids scratch events all the time too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back