Coaches Handspring Vault Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi!

I am an Xcel Gold vault coach looking for help with our front handspring vaults. Our girls have nice heel drives, good form in handstand, and get some decent distance from the table, but tend to score poorly and we don't know what to do. My guess based on listening to the judges at the meet today, is that we got killed on our repulsion angle off the table.

Now, I don't know how to fix it! What are some good drills we can be doing? 9.5s on every event and then 8.5s on vault really hurt us as a team.

Thanks so much!

Are they getting length at the expense of height? I work with FIG based rules and lack of height is the biggest deduction through FIG codes. Sometimes what gymnasts do with their arms post flight can make the vault appear flatter than what it actually is to less experienced judges.

Are they getting length at the expense of height? I work with FIG based rules and lack of height is the biggest deduction through FIG codes. Sometimes what gymnasts do with their arms post flight can make the vault appear flatter than what it actually is to less experienced judges.
I could see that. That's a good point.

My guess based on listening to the judges at the meet today, is that we got killed on our repulsion angle off the table.

Have any videos for us to see?

Have any videos for us to see?
Unfortunately no. I could try to grab some next week. It was our first meet and we were just all surprised by the scores. Vault is not our strong event, but they had high eights to low 9s last year, so the high 7s to mid 8s were kind of a shock.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back