Coaches Yurchenko entry question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! I have an Xcel diamond working on her yurchenko and she's having a hard time getting a powerful and consistent block in order to flip. She's about 4'11 and I have her on 130/135 with eight springs in her board. She's got a lot of power and tends to go up too high instead of stretching back and hitting the HS at the correct angle for a good block, what can I do to help her hit at the right angle? Flexibility/snapping drills for the reach from the RO landing to the HS? Thanks!

We'd have to see a video of the vault.

We'd have to see a video of the vault.
Unsure how to post a video on here, but I'm willing to learn! I can also say that the angle she's hitting the table at to block off is about 30 degrees shy of vertical, so she definitely needs to hit at a smaller angle.

First thing I'm seeing is that the knees are bending before she snaps through for the block. She might actually get a better block trying a pike rather than a tuck.

I'd probably also experiment with dropping the table down a notch, but I'm less confident that will help

I would work a lot of round off double backs / double pikes / double layouts into loose foam. Work needle kicking too. She needs to turn the round off over faster. I would vault her on 125 cm.

Do you have a full speed video with the run included?

Last edited:
Also… we teach all of our athletes that the root skill of a Yurchenko is a double layout… so we figure out a way to get double layout work in with all of them. Some do them into loose foam with a hand mat… spring board… and safety zone. Others do them in the spotting rig over the trampoline. Others do them on tramp or tumble track by themselves.

There is no way to upload videos… you have to upload it to something else and then past it here like you did.

First thing I'm seeing is that the knees are bending before she snaps through for the block. She might actually get a better block trying a pike rather than a tuck.

I'd probably also experiment with dropping the table down a notch, but I'm less confident that will help
funny, thats what we were actually planning on doing! we thought pike might be a better route. I'll definitely have her try that into the pit. thank you!

I would work a lot of round off double backs / double pikes / double layouts into loose foam. Work needle kicking too. She needs to turn the round off over faster. I would vault her on 125 cm.

Do you have a full speed video with the run included?
Awesome, I'll definitely have her work on her RO turn over and RO doubles then next time we're on vault, as well as the layouts that you mentioned. I can get a full speed video as well! Thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back