Parents 5 Things Every Gym Parent Should Know?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you!

Do you think an area that is not viewable to guests would help others to open up more?
Definitely! Personally I have been pretty anonymous on here, wouldn't disclose my daughters' names, gym etc bc i know thousands of random ppl see itand i want to protect their privacy and safety! If we had an area not viewable to guests i would be more personal.

I do find it too difficult to post videos though and that was one area that drove me to the facebook groups to be honest.

Basically on ChalkBucket you just upload the video to anything else and post the link here... the site will automatically show it for most things.

We don't have the resources to host our own videos. Hosting your own videos increases server bandwidth (cost goes way way up)... and it is a legal nightmare. This is why we just let the sites that have the resources host the videos.

I agree with @DTAG . I've been a member here for a long time and I much prefer this format to the facebook groups (which I also belong to, but rarely post on). I prefer the relative anonymity it provides and I used to feel more connected to many of the posters here. Unfortunately, most of the regular posters I was familiar with seem to have left and most times I try to post now I don't receive many responses. I also did really like the private areas that the board used to have (the region specific ones and the upper level ones). In fact, now that my daughter is a level 10, I really wish that private group still existed. I do post on the facebook groups, but it's not the same.

Thank you for posting all this.

We've had a few people mention college gymnastics in this conversation... so please check out this one as well...

I'm working on a way to attract new members to the site. One of the biggest ways to find new members is to convert our current "guest" traffic (which we get tons of). I'd like to have a free series of emails go out to anyone that signs up that answers some basic questions about gymnastics. The title of the email series will be something like...

5 Things Every Gym Parent Should Know

The only problem is that I don't have the 5 things. Help me brainstorm some ideas here... what are 5 things that every gym parent should know?
Part 2 of this Podcast featuring a gymnastics parent says it all!!! And Part 1 talks about the institutional responsibilities (and failings) of gymnastic federations.

I'm working on a way to attract new members to the site. One of the biggest ways to find new members is to convert our current "guest" traffic (which we get tons of). I'd like to have a free series of emails go out to anyone that signs up that answers some basic questions about gymnastics. The title of the email series will be something like...

5 Things Every Gym Parent Should Know

The only problem is that I don't have the 5 things. Help me brainstorm some ideas here... what are 5 things that every gym parent should know?
Each child is different and unique in their own way. The goal of a good gymnast coach is to teach each child on their level, within the confounds of the team atmosphere.
Just because you’re child isn’t doing the same exact skills as another athlete doesn’t mean their not as good or valued. As a coach, we encourage teammates building up each other, and helping each other out. Just like we should do in our community. Don’t compare your child to other children, compare them to themselves. You want to see them improving and growing in technical skills and as a person.

I would probably qualify as a loooong time viewer but I generally never post. I’ve received some help when I needed advice running the volunteer side of a meet our gym hosts but some things are iffy. For example Lots and Lots and Lots of parents want info on the gyms in our area and I’m Always uncomfortable giving advice because what gym fits girl / boy A may be a Terrible fit for child B.

Advice would be:
big name/ small name/ elite gymnasts/ Xcel etc team doesn’t matter as much as does you kid feel safe, happy to go to gym, and do the kids in team look happy. What are team rules? Can you watch? What are their competition policies (Miss a day don’t compete kind of thing)

I live in TX in an area with many JO/elite gyms. And everyone gym hops. Girls hoo, Coaches gym hop. It is not uncommon every few years to see a huge number of kids move to a different gym to follow a coach only to have that coach move after a few years. Heck we’ve even had several upper level coaches/owners die in recent years. (Not just the famous KT). So Don’t pin all your hopes on a gym name or a gym coach. That changes. Pin it on the culture and people in the gym that usually persists.

it’s OK if you outgrow your gym or your needs change. But be cautious if your reason for moving is more “I want my kid to score X” opposed to “my kid isn't meshing with coach anymore and needs different support” the first may or may not happen with moving (after level 7 it can be hard because your kid will have to relearn skills because every coach has different methods and what they want) the second should be one you can talk to with your kid’s coach and have an honest discussion about.

Never tolerate abusive coaching or neglectful treatment because “well my kid is scoring well…” or “look at how many kids got to X” whatever X may be. Speak up, speak out. And for heaven’s sake report the bastards who are abusive. Even if nothing happens to that coach Now, you create a paper trail.

There are not over a million kids in gymnastics in the US. (Men, women, artistic, rhythmic, Acro, T&T, aerobic) With very few college scholarships and small number of national team spots …. Most kids aren’t going to do gym in college or the Olympics. So enjoy the ride. So many great gymnasts quit because parental pressure or expectations. It’s your kids’ journey not yours.

Finally if your goal is a scholarship to college because you can’t afford it otherwise…you would have been better served saving money for all those years. It easily pays for a good private college by the time it’s all said and done. Gym is a sunk cost. Do it because you love the sport but it is stupid expensive and some nebulous future money can’t be the reason to do it.

For younger girls: I’ve seen multiple
Kids lose scholarships over stupid things they post online. If you Think the recruiting coaches aren’t technically savvy enough to find that dance you did with explicit lyrics or you smashing property or drinking….you are wrong. The only two things that can get your scholarship revoked after you have signed: academic failure, violating terms of your contract (usually a morality clause).

I also have not posted a lot to this forum for a while. Part of it is that my daughter is now 18 and basically on her own in terms of gymnastics. She also has a very specific situation this past year between covid and her injuries. I think this is still a small world in terms of being a public forum and I am not as comfortable sharing her experiences. She is very private and I don't want to publicly talk about her experiences.

I also think that now that she takes herself to and from gymnastics on her own I am not involved hardly at all so I am keeping a low profile as that is how she wants it.

As far as the forum goes I am always amazed at how many posters need advice on changing gyms and bad coaching. I feel like it is going to take USGA decades of training and programs to change the culture of gymnastics coaching at the club level. I think new parents need to understand that there are a lot of bad coaches out there. In retrospect I probably would not have started my daughter at our gym when she very first started gymnastics knowing what I know now. However, I will say the wait has been worth it because we now have the best coach ever and I feel very lucky to be able to say that.

Is there anything this forum can do to help USGA with changing the culture of gymnastics? I have posted before I would like to think that the United States in all its glory can coach gymnasts to gold medal contenders without mental or physical abuse, yet it seems the last 20 years have been just that. This forum has so many documented issues that maybe if USGA is also reading they can create some better classes?? I know my daughter has to take a class called "Tough Coaching or Emotional Abuse" in order to keep her membership as a coach and older athlete. I guess this is a start, but an online class is not going to change a lifelong abuser as they can always justify their behavior.

I know posters have complained about the slowness of action from Safe Sport when an allegation has been filed, maybe a topic on step by step instructions on how to file a complaint and then expectations once you do. Perhaps this is an area that should be private?

Not sure if this helps you that much with this forum. I am always amazed at how many people post about bad gyms/coaches. It makes me a little sad that this sport has so many issues since it is such an amazing sport and my daughter loves it.

How about attracting more coaches to post as well?

I'm here as a parent, but I'm also a coach and I really like hearing how other coaches do things and their tips and tricks. I've learned a lot. If I'm doing an internet search for some obscure code clarification question, or trying to find examples of skills, series, etc. google will usually point me in the chalkbucket direction, and there a some great coaching threads but they are usually older so some of the code stuff is out of date.

As a parent, I think seeing a coaches insight is really valuable! I love when they chime in on threads.

Things appeal to everyone are the real gold mine... for example...

The Truth About College Scholarships

I was basically thinking about a couple that are beginner... one or two that are transitional (compulsory to optional)... and a couple for everyone.
For a gold mine for all, you could do a parent/athlete or coach/athlete interview style series.

You could talk about your current journey to college and scholarships, and have a section about M’s current feelings and goals. As a parent, I look for info from other parents “in the thick of it”, and kids want to hear what other kids are doing and going through!

Other topics could be: “What we learned our first year competing”, “Our first week of team practice”, “The leap from compulsory to optional” “How we get through mental blocks” “How we recovered from X injury” “5 things your child wants you to know about gymnastics” etc.

Wow, almost 100 times as many guests as members logged in. It would be helpful if you could get any info on who those cohorts are, that might help you choose topics they would care about to read. Or convince them to sign up which might not be the exact same list.
Maybe you can make signups via FB/Google. I notice some websites allow that for quick sign up, although I never do that to stay away from the dark side. But let’s not go there.

My guess is the visitors have younger gymnasts, which if so you want your topics to speak to them and convince them to signup.

Maybe…..
- “New gym parent; navigating the early years”. (or….NGP what lies ahead, NGP what are you getting into, etc)
- “New gym parent; what’s the difference in rec, excel, jo (DP now??), and elite “

For newer or more experienced parents:
- “Should I change gyms? Don’t feel confused, almost everyone at least thinks about this”
- “Chalkbucket theads to know about.”
-“ It looks like we are in this for the long haul. What should I know?”
- “What’s this gonna cost anyway? Money, time, sweat and tears.”

Lots of diamond ideas upthread too.

Label the series the Fantastic Five and put them behind a signup wall.

Is there anything this forum can do to help USGA with changing the culture of gymnastics?

I think just providing a forum where people can talk is helping.

Here are some questions I have searched this forum for:
  • What should progress look like if my gymnast wants to make XXXX level? or Is my child on track for XXXX?
  • What do you do when your child gets stuck on a skill for the first time?
  • What can I do to help my gymnast with a skill?
  • Is my child injured? or should we see a doctor?
  • My child just lost a skill now what?

No... definitely not... 100% of gyms in our state are up... filled to capacity... many with waiting lists in the hundreds.
Are you in a state that’s open or a state under all kinds of governmental mandates. Because we are a mandate state and membership is down

How many ways can the "old-timers" say to the "new-timers", just calm down? How about a thread that answers those types of questions? What we can do is offer advice/explanations/succor to those who may not want to (or cannot) talk with their coaches. A third party safety valve.

Chalk bucket was very helpful when we first joined the world of competitive gymnastics. Gymnastics is unique in that it’s not a common sport that your average person has a basic working knowledge of. It’s very complex.

I don’t want it to turn into another “score my kid’s routine site” like the majority of Facebook groups have become. But I think what would be helpful is a general overview of how scoring works and the major deductions that are common in routines. I wasn’t obsessed with my kids scoring or trying to help her improve her score, I just wanted to understand what I was watching. I can generally ballpark her score now after many years of watching, but in the beginning, it was frustrating not knowing how the scoring worked.

I also like the general anonymity that CB provides. Sometimes I have questions that maybe I don’t want her coaches or other parents on the team knowing about and this site provides it unlike Facebook. Retaliation is a real thing in the gym world.

To get longer lasting members, I would target the new parents. The main topics that they are interested in are in how to get their gymnasts to progress and what judges are looking for. I would suggest these hooks:
-Registered members get free access to level requirements (this is also useful for optional levels, which has more fluid requirements)
-What are judges really looking for? New parents especially wonder why their gymnasts got the score they did.
-What's the difference between Xcel and "the numbered levels?"

It's been awhile since I registered myself, perhaps look into the registration process itself. Make it as easy as possible and reassuring that they won't get inundated with junk emails.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back