Parents Feeling discouraged

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been in gymnastics since she was two but we went through quite a few gyms before we found the one we are at now which we’ve only been at for 4 months. I felt like people were just running her through classes and not really focusing on every single child and their abilities and trying to progress them so we moved to a smaller Gym and they are great at all of that. Unfortunately I had not realized that she is getting on the older side she just turned 8 but she’s barely going to be entering level three compulsory team this/next year, So she would be competing at best at ages eight and nine the gym told me that she’s on the older age for even being allowed onto a team that is focused on sending kids into college gymnastics teams. I didn’t know that they had to compete at every level and I never did the math or had anyone explain it to me and now I feel like I have ruined her chances by not being more vigilant she has so much skill and strength and just a short four months we’ve been at this new gym she’s developed so many more skills because they’re actually trying to progress the children. I am reading places that they can skip level seven if they are ready to is it hopeful that she would maybe be able to do college gymnastics if that’s what she chooses one day?

I had 2 kids (twins) that didn't start on team until 9 years old. Now they were very talented... but they made it to Level 10.

I had 2 kids (twins) that didn't start on team until 9 years old. Now they were very talented... but they made it to Level 10.
Thank you so much. Is it true that they have to compete at every single level and pass so each level takes at least one full year regardless of talent? I keep reading conflicting things so I’m so confused about the levels. So like even if they are at level 4 skill they still have to compete at level three before they’re able to compete at level 4?

Is it true that they have to compete at every single level and pass so each level takes at least one full year regardless of talent?

Levels 1 - 3 are not required. Level 4 & 5 have mobility scores. Level 6 is not required. Level 7 & up have mobility scores.

We have had very talented athletes do Level 4... 5... & 7 all in the same season. 4 in fall... 5 in December... then 7 in spring.

There is no requirement to run a level for a full year.

This will only happen if an athlete is extremely talented and they have an experienced upper level coaching staff working with them.

Levels 1 - 3 are not required. Level 4 & 5 have mobility scores. Level 6 is not required. Level 7 & up have mobility scores.

We have had very talented athletes do Level 4... 5... & 7 all in the same season. 4 in fall... 5 in December... then 7 in spring.

There is no requirement to run a level for a full year.

This will only happen if an athlete is extremely talented and they have an experienced upper level coaching staff working with them.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond this was very helpful and encouraging for us

Reactions: JBS
Depends on your gym but if your daughter is very talented and picks up skills quickly she should be able to skip. My youngest just skipped from 4 to 7, tested out of 5.

I have seen girls from our previous small gym test out of levels. Now I am not sure about the technicalities of it, but my basic understanding is that they did an intra squad "meet" at our gym that brought sanctioned judges in. They only had to do that "level" at that intra-squad, achieve a minimum score and then competed at the next level through the season.

It is for sure possible and you haven’t ruined her chances…

But on the flip side — any gymnast just starting level 3 — no matter what age is very unlikely to make it to college gymnastics — even more unlikely to earn a scholarship for gymnastics.

And while skipping levels (meaning testing out or competing 2 levels in one season) is possible and does happen — the reality is that it is much more common for gymnasts to repeat a level.

My DD is in her 5th year of competitive gymnastics. She competed level 3 with 11 girls (ages 6-9). No one has skipped a level, 2 have advanced a level per year (skipped 6 which isn’t required) and are now competing 8. 4 are still in gymnastics but have repeated at least one level(they are competing level 6 or 7 this year), 5 are no longer doing gymnastics.

Of the 2 in level 8 this year, one was one of the youngest in that starting group and one was one of the oldest. You just never know!

Here are the mobility rules…

There is more information in the above link... but here is one of the important lines...

The Development Program is divided into three major segments: developmental, compulsory, and optional. Athletes may not skip any level (exception…Level 6 may be skipped, see below). They must advance one level at a time by scoring the minimum mobility score at any USA Gymnastics sanctioned competition (Exception: Levels 1-3 do not have a mobility score).

Last edited:
It is for sure possible and you haven’t ruined her chances…

But on the flip side — any gymnast just starting level 3 — no matter what age is very unlikely to make it to college gymnastics — even more unlikely to earn a scholarship for gymnastics.

And while skipping levels (meaning testing out or competing 2 levels in one season) is possible and does happen — the reality is that it is much more common for gymnasts to repeat a level.

My DD is in her 5th year of competitive gymnastics. She competed level 3 with 11 girls (ages 6-9). No one has skipped a level, 2 have advanced a level per year (skipped 6 which isn’t required) and are now competing 8. 4 are still in gymnastics but have repeated at least one level(they are competing level 6 or 7 this year), 5 are no longer doing gymnastics.

Of the 2 in level 8 this year, one was one of the youngest in that starting group and one was one of the oldest. You just never know!
Thank you for your reply! What do you mean by any gymnast just starting level 3 at any age? She’s gone through level 1 and 2 but recreationally. Do you mean competitive track? Right now she’s on a preteam class, started after a break at age 7

Don’t listen to all the negativity my daughter started level 3 at 8 years old now she’s a 13 year old level 10. Anything is possible, just stay focused
I wasn’t trying to be negative, just realistic.

I said it is for sure possible and I do think people should dream big and try to achieve those dreams.

But I was also trying to be realistic. Odds wise your daughter is the exception rather than the rule. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen or you shouldn’t try.

Thank you for your reply! What do you mean by any gymnast just starting level 3 at any age? She’s gone through level 1 and 2 but recreationally. Do you mean competitive track? Right now she’s on a preteam class, started after a break at age 7
I’m just it is a very long road from pre team or 3 to college. Even if your daughter was 6 right now instead of 8 - her odds of college are small.

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try.

But it probably has more to do with her ability, commitment, coaching, ability to stay healthy, ability to over come fears, etc. rather than the age she is when she competes level 3 (or whatever level she is doing right now).

What do you mean by any gymnast just starting level 3 at any age?
What she means is that competing in college is a significant challenge for any gymnast at any age/level. There are so many things that have to line up and not just in the gymnastics sense. It is best for anyone to be as realistic as possible. Like any sport that our children participate in, the % that make it to higher levels is incredibly small.

What she means is that competing in college is a significant challenge for any gymnast at any age/level. There are so many things that have to line up and not just in the gymnastics sense. It is best for anyone to be as realistic as possible. Like any sport that our children participate in, the % that make it to higher levels is incredibly small.
Yeah, when my daughter first started on team, I went through States results for several years looking at how many kids compete in States at levels 3 and 4, vs how many were competing 9 and 10. It was eye-opening and helped me realize how tough it is to make it to upper level optionals, let alone college gymnastics.

I’m just it is a very long road from pre team or 3 to college. Even if your daughter was 6 right now instead of 8 - her odds of college are small.

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try.

But it probably has more to do with her ability, commitment, coaching, ability to stay healthy, ability to over come fears, etc. rather than the age she is when she competes level 3 (or whatever level she is doing right now).
Ooohhhh I understand, so in general, No matter what age you start competitive gymnastics the percentage of kids that make it to college gym is low?

I don't think that the responses were meant to be negative. Just realistic. My dd started at level 3 with 17 girls. Only 5 are still doing gymnastics and they are on their 8th year competing. That also seems like a high number that are still doing it after reading other posts over the years.

Starting on level 3 at 8/9 is not too late. My dd and two others started level 3 at 9 years old. One of the 2 will be a level 10 for 4 years and the other for 2 when they are high school seniors.

My dd was hoping that she could make it to college gymnastics but ended up switching to Xcel after injuries, major increase in gym hours, increase in school work, stress, etc.

I understand now, yeah I’m not so much worried about her making it to college level gymnastics as much as feeling like I didn’t allow her the possibility to if that’s what she really wanted I mean heck I don’t even know if she’s gonna want to go to college and I really don’t know if I want to risk seen her getting hurt so we’re definitely not pushing anything I just want her to have the ability to compete and go as far as she wants and then I’ll be my fault that I started hurting competitive gymnastics too late for anything

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back