WAG How to start as an adult?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone!

To start, I'm a 29 year old woman looking to join the sport after being a shut-in during the pandemic (I admit I went a bit stir crazy). I keep reading how I can still do this sport no problem, I am just stuck at the moment because it was very hard to find a gym that would take adult beginners, but now I am on a wait list while they hire new coaches.

I don't know who I can ask about this. How can I best prepare myself at home so I can have the best start?

Oh! I'm in fairly decent shape - about 135 pounds. Just not as good with strength or flexibility.

Any advice? I'm not looking to go to the olympics or anything! Just learn as much as I can!

Thanks!

Rachel

I’ve never done gymnastics but during the months of Covid gym closures I did gymnastics conditioning videos with my daughter at home so she didn’t lose everything. They were from “Chalk it Up Buttercup” and called something like coronavirus workout. I used to do a lot of sports before kids but after my 3rd V-up, about 30 seconds into my first workout with my daughter laughing at me, I already thought I was going to die. That’s when I realized that pound for pound gymnasts are some of the best athletes in the world. Conditioning to hold shapes is everything in this sport and about the only thing you can safely do at home without a coach. Good luck!

That is a shame. Pretty much all gymnastics clubs in Australia have adult classes catering for beginners.

Perhaps there is a club in your area that has a beginners class for teens. They may be open to allowing you to join that group. There is often very little physical difference between a teen and an adult.

Hey there!

Thanks for your response! I tried that route - but most gyms here in the USA max out at 18.

But it seems like there's more of a movement to get adults in the sport doing the apparatuses - it makes me happy because for a long time I was told I "missed the boat" and should stick to running and yoga as "age appropriate activities". Really don't like the age gating for women in sports if you want to do anything other than run on a treadmill

That is crazy! I never understood why gymnastics clubs in the US were so poor at catering for adults.

Having adult classes would be a great revenue stream for them and they can be held at times where it’s harder to fill the gym with kids like daytimes, later evenings etc.

Here there are adults training and competing on teams with kids. There is masters gymnastics, which is a competitive gymnastics program for adults.

And the fastest growing gymnastics program in the country is gymnastics for senior citizens.

I know not very useful for you but if there are gyms out there in the US reading this. Jump on this bandwagon, if so few gyms are offering adult classes then those gyms who decide to do it will corner their market.

Maybe they are scared to teach adults but in most cases they are MUCH easier to teach then kids. You have classes full of people who are the used abs want to be there and don’t have to deal with many issues like distractions, behaviour, puberty.

Our experience teaching lots of adults is that they learn gymnastics faster and easier than kids. They have adult strength, they listen better, they can understand instructions better.

They also are not growing so we don’t have to worry much about reteaching skills as they grow, it’s easier to maintain their strength.

Coaches may worry about fear but adults have way less fear issues than kids. Preteens and young teens are only just developing their ability to think in the abstract, which gives them Fear as they start to consider the possible things that could go wrong.

By adulthood they have much better control of that fear.

so you're saying there's hope for me? That's a big confidence booster!

I always thought I'd kill it on bars and floor just based on my body type

While you're waiting to start, you could consider finding a crossfit gym for working out. That would help with strength.
Have you checked any cheer gyms that might have a tumbling class that you could take?
Hope that the gym finds some coaches and that you can get started soon!

You're the first to recommend crossfit - but yes we have that here! That's actually a great idea I'll look into it.

This is great - everyone in this community so far has been so nice and encouraging, and I'm new here

While you are waiting... condition, run, do other sports, likely they'll be helpful. You can find a lot of gymnastics specific conditioning videos or lists on the internet. Sign up for aerobics, yoga, whatever catches your fancy. Being in shape isn't usually prerequisite for beginning gymnastics, but chances are it will you give a head start!

I'm in a Facebook group for adult gymnasts that may be able to help you its called Just like fine wine... Adult gymnastics group something that you might want to check out

I'm in a Facebook group for adult gymnasts that may be able to help you its called Just like fine wine... Adult gymnastics group something that you might want to check out
Yep just joined - you'll see a new member (Rachel) - that's me. Thanks!

I think you can actually register and compete in the Xcel program. Check it out!
What exactly is that? Like a special program for adults?

Dont know if I mentioned, but I live pretty much in the sticks - rural area. I hope to move further into the city within a year though

What exactly is that? Like a special program for adults?

Dont know if I mentioned, but I live pretty much in the sticks - rural area. I hope to move further into the city within a year though
Xcel isn't just for adults but they do have adult competitions. It's an alternative to the traditional JO levels (1-10 and elite). The levels are bronze (1-2), silver(3-4), gold (4-5), platinum(5-6), and diamond (7-8)

You get your own routine and the skills can be customized to your ability level. It's less rigorous than JO, and caters to a wide range of ages.

That seems like its more adaptable to fit all kinds of people - do most gyms have this program?
It depends on the gym. Some more "elite" gyms either won't have this or it's more of a secondary program, but at our gym it's a lot more of a relaxed environment and you do 3 to 4 to 5 to xcel to 8+.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back