WAG Tips for a front tuck dismount?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any tips for a front tuck dismount on beam? I'll go for it but I can never land all the way on my feet, at best it's a low squat. My front tuck on floor is rarely landed but our coaches want us to do an end of beam dismount and I'll never go for a back tuck so this is my best option. Thanks!

1) this is general advice to be taken with a grain of salt because I cannot see your dismount so I can't diagnose the problem :)

20 90% of the time the root issue I see on this dismount is gymnasts directing their momentum down or out instead of up-. You can fix this by using your arms to set up, and you can set up by finding a slightly-above-eye-level fixed point on the wall in front of you, and look at it when you punch off the end of the beam.

Other issues can be lack of speed during the rotation (so take more steps into it and be more deliberate in your rotation), or a weak punch off the end of the beam that absorbs your power rather than adding too it (so don't bend your knees when you punch, stay stiff). Both of these are dynamic issues.

I would observe your dismount and see if either of these is the problem, or if it is a combination of these.

Make sure to give a strong jump at the beginning, even on the beam. Practice straight jumps and dive rolls to get comfortable with the set. Try to spot something on the wall as you set. Even if your front tuck on floor is a little low, if you do it just like that you should be able to do it off the beam. With some practice and repetition, you'll get it. Make sure to ask your coaches for corrections as well.

Is an aerial dismount, a front handspring dismount, a roundoff dismount, or a cartwheel or backwalkover to straight jump dismount in the cards for an "end of beam dismount"?

1) this is general advice to be taken with a grain of salt because I cannot see your dismount so I can't diagnose the problem :)

20 90% of the time the root issue I see on this dismount is gymnasts directing their momentum down or out instead of up-. You can fix this by using your arms to set up, and you can set up by finding a slightly-above-eye-level fixed point on the wall in front of you, and look at it when you punch off the end of the beam.

Other issues can be lack of speed during the rotation (so take more steps into it and be more deliberate in your rotation), or a weak punch off the end of the beam that absorbs your power rather than adding too it (so don't bend your knees when you punch, stay stiff). Both of these are dynamic issues.

I would observe your dismount and see if either of these is the problem, or if it is a combination of these.
Thanks so much! We did them again on Tuesday and I was consistently landing them and it felt like I was less afraid of it so I went more up. Based on what you're saying, I think it was probably that I wasn't going up enough.

Make sure to give a strong jump at the beginning, even on the beam. Practice straight jumps and dive rolls to get comfortable with the set. Try to spot something on the wall as you set. Even if your front tuck on floor is a little low, if you do it just like that you should be able to do it off the beam. With some practice and repetition, you'll get it. Make sure to ask your coaches for corrections as well.

Is an aerial dismount, a front handspring dismount, a roundoff dismount, or a cartwheel or backwalkover to straight jump dismount in the cards for an "end of beam dismount"?
At this point I feel like our coaches want us to either have back or front tuck dismounts, but maybe aerial dismounts at some point? I actually go for a front tuck and I don't go for either of the others so if I'm allowed to do that, I think that's what I'll do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back