WAG i don’t know what to do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a 16 year old gymnast who would love to start competing, my only problem is that im best at floor and have rarely any competitive level skills at anything else. I'm not sure what to do or what to expect.

Just off the top of my head:

Would trampoline and tumbling (T&T) be something you might be interested in? Many gyms, even cheer gyms, have competitive T&T teams. Acro and tumbling ("acro" or A&T) is now a collegiate sport, and there may be some youth teams out there. It seems to be a great option for gymnasts who love floor!

It's completely normal to have a better event! Now if the other events are holding you back from competing I would talk to your coach to see if you can change your routine to something easier for you to learn (even if you don't have a 10.0 start) that way, you can at least get out and compete. Good luck!

Just off the top of my head:

Would trampoline and tumbling (T&T) be something you might be interested in? Many gyms, even cheer gyms, have competitive T&T teams. Acro and tumbling ("acro" or A&T) is now a collegiate sport, and there may be some youth teams out there. It seems to be a great option for gymnasts who love floor!
i have tried trampoline and floor but it’s not really my thing. I’ve been doing recreational gymnastics for years but I know im most skilled on floor then anything else

It's completely normal to have a better event! Now if the other events are holding you back from competing I would talk to your coach to see if you can change your routine to something easier for you to learn (even if you don't have a 10.0 start) that way, you can at least get out and compete. Good luck!
I’ve never competed before and i have done gymnastics in three years due to covid-19 but im always tumbling around in my backyard. It’s just very odd for me because i don’t know where i would be considering I'm best at floor

So I am a little confused. You like tumbling and the dance aspects of floor, but you've only done rec classes?

I've been doing gymnastics since I was 4 but I've only been doing rec. I now would like to start to compete but I have rarely any skills on bars, beam and vault
That is very common in rec gymnasts. My sister did half a year or so of rec, she had definitely zero vault skills, and just a pullover and backhipcircle on bars, but was doing ro double bhs on floor. She did a successful year of xcel bronze after her coach drilling her in form over the summer, jumped to level 4 was okay, had one okay meet of level 5 during Covid then meets were cancelled, and this year had a very successful level 7 season. In fact, vault and bars is her best event now.

For you I 100% recommend xcel if it is an option, because you may be able to compete harder skills on floor and easier skills on the others. If you have your heart set on DP I see a LOT of conditioning and definitely hard work in your future, but its possible.

That is very common in rec gymnasts. My sister did half a year or so of rec, she had definitely zero vault skills, and just a pullover and backhipcircle on bars, but was doing ro double bhs on floor. She did a successful year of xcel bronze after her coach drilling her in form over the summer, jumped to level 4 was okay, had one okay meet of level 5 during Covid then meets were cancelled, and this year had a very successful level 7 season. In fact, vault and bars is her best event now.

For you I 100% recommend xcel if it is an option, because you may be able to compete harder skills on floor and easier skills on the others. If you have your heart set on DP I see a LOT of conditioning and definitely hard work in your future, but its possible.
this was extremely helpful I really appreciate it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back