WAG Can giants be the only circling skill for level 6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
DD competes HS to CHS to giants to layout for her bar routine - she said her back up routine is HS to giants to layout without the CHS if (insert random gymnastics words about pushaway angle) is off. Would that actually fulfill her requirements? I know they have to have a circling skill for group 3, 6, 7 but I don't know which group giants are in and I've tried googling what's in each group to no avail. I'm just curious because I've never seen anyone in 6 do... just giants at a meet.

UASG JO L6? giants aren't required. typical routines in our region are Kip, clear hip, pike on, kip CHS, flyaway. Or kip, pike on, kips, CHS, Clear hip to HS, flyaway. Some girls do do a giant, but it is not the norm.

USAG 6 - I know the giants aren’t required, they’re part of her routine. As back up routines if something doesn’t feel right, she either omits the giants or the clear hip handstand. Usually the clear hip to avoid falling in practice. She is -sure- she could compete just the giants and fulfill the circling requirement, but all I can find are “circling skills from group 3,6,7” - I don’t have the code of points info so I don’t know in which group giants are and what circling skills are actually in 3,6,7.

Clear hip, stalder and toe on are mentioning specifically in level 6 requirements noting they are the only C skills allowed in the bar routine (C when hitting handstand) but the rest of the info is vague

After compulsory levels which ends at L5. No specific skills are “required”

Giants are technically not required at any level. It will effect your score. As to what degree will depend on the level.

My daughter didn’t do a giant until L8.

Her average bar score in L6 was 8.8
In L7 it was 8.3

Does she have (or can she put) a clear hip or stalder on the low bar? That would fulfill the requirment. No, regular giants are not part of the 3,6,7 groups.

Does she have (or can she put) a clear hip or stalder on the low bar? That would fulfill the requirment. No, regular giants are not part of the 3,6,7 groups.
She competes a clear hip handstand on high bar, she has no issue hitting handstand on it - she’s competed giants out of the clear hip handstand at most of her meets. She’s under the impression that if she feels like she’s going to miss the clear hip handstand, she could just go into giants and it would count.

It’s her back up routine to avoid falling but since I can’t find what group giants fall into, she remains convinced I’m wrong about it not counting lol and it’s driving me crazy that I can’t seem to find what groups the skills are in through my friend google

She competes a clear hip handstand on high bar, she has no issue hitting handstand on it - she’s competed giants out of the clear hip handstand at most of her meets. She’s under the impression that if she feels like she’s going to miss the clear hip handstand, she could just go into giants and it would count.

It’s her back up routine to avoid falling but since I can’t find what group giants fall into, she remains convinced I’m wrong about it not counting lol and it’s driving me crazy that I can’t seem to find what groups the skills are in through my friend google
regular giants are group 4, I believe. Here is a reference that the giant is NOT in the group 3,6,7 . go to page 3 and look at bullet 4.

Her coaches should know this and be telling her this will not work if she wants a 10.0 SV. Given that a fall will cost just as much, if not more, it washes out in the score.

My point about putting it on the low bar would resolve this issue for her. She would already have it in her routine and it wouldn't matter if she drops it from her high bar sequence.

regular giants are group 4, I believe. Here is a reference that the giant is NOT in the group 3,6,7 . go to page 3 and look at bullet 4.

Her coaches should know this and be telling her this will not work if she wants a 10.0 SV. Given that a fall will cost just as much, if not more, it washes out in the score.

My point about putting it on the low bar would resolve this issue for her. She would already have it in her routine and it wouldn't matter if she drops it from her high bar sequence.
Thank you! I’m still miffed that I can’t just find what is in each group but at least this specifically says giants are not group 3,6,7. She would be horrified if I suggested taking clear hip back to low bar - not sure about coach but probably a miscommunication somewhere

My daughter did a clear hip above horizontal on low bar and then did one giant on high bar on level 6.
I think routine was kip cast handstand, freehip, pike on, high bar kip cast handstand, giant, flyaway. It was my understanding that the giant didn't count to fulfill the “requirement” but it was allowed. You need a toehand, freehip, or stalder.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back