Parents Meet Concessions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomStarQuest29

Proud Parent
SOS!!

How much food does your concessions stand go through in a meet?

If you have 40 athletes and an additional 150 or so people there, how much food would you prepare?

Concessions for other sports seem to be busier and sell more. So, what do you estimate for your concessions for a normal meet?

Nobody likes my idea of concessions... but it is a winner.

Just buy hot dogs and chips and soda / water. Sell it for the following...

Hot Dog / Chips / Soda Meal = $7
Hot Dog = $5
Chips = $2
Soda / Water = $2

Run to the gas station when you run out.

I wouldn't sell anything else.

If you sell baked good and other junk for a quarter... then they fill up on that and you make nothing. Sell something cheap that you can restock easily... and sell it for a lot. You have a captive audience... if they are hungry... they will eat. Make sure you have a good announcer to direct people to the food.

HOT DOGS... GET YOUR HOT DOGS... ONLY $5... ADD CHIPS AND A DRINK FOR ONLY $2 MORE!

Here's another one for you...

Make a ton (like 5 boxes) of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and keep in a crock pot. Have a way to make more. Sell it for $5 a bowl... $7 for the meal. Advertise that you got the good stuff... Kraft! It's the cheesiest.

This is really no joke. We make more money doing this kind of junk than crazy elaborate concession setups.

Where I used to live, any/every indoor youth sport sold frito pie. Crock pot of chili + Fritos in bags + shredded cheese from Costco= a bajillion dollars from concessions.

Not sure if this could be done everywhere. Where I live now, people are weird about buying homemade food.

We see a variety. Many places don’t want you eating in the gym. So nothing.

Other places, bagels donuts, muffins and rolls, juice for early sessions. Pizza, hot dogs, sandwhiches, chips, candy. soda, water.

They never have anything we would buy. I wish they sold protein bars, because that’s the only thing my kid would want on meet day. The other thing we would both eat would be those power packs, the ones with cheese or hummus some pretzels or crackers with some grapes, carrots or apple slices and dried fruit/nuts Or seeds. I’d like fruit/veggie. we typically BYO.

Where I used to live, any/every indoor youth sport sold frito pie. Crock pot of chili + Fritos in bags + shredded cheese from Costco= a bajillion dollars from concessions.

Not sure if this could be done everywhere. Where I live now, people are weird about buying homemade food.
Last meet we went to had such a thing. They called it a “walking taco”. As someone who cares about healthy eating, I’ve never seen a single thing for sale that I’d consume or allow my daughter to consume, which is a shame.

One big concept issue that gymnastics gets wrong with concessions…

You are feeding the audience… not the competitors. The competitors should all come fueled and ready to go.

I would agree with above… many meets just don’t do concessions… it just isn’t that necessary.

Love this option. I am generally a health food person, but they sell this at the high school state track meet in my state every year and I buy it every year. Yum!

Yes... "walking tacos" are a big one too... super easy.

Bottom line... don't try to figure out how much you need. Get stuff that you can make on the fly and they need to be very cheap.

We see a variety. Many places don’t want you eating in the gym. So nothing.

Other places, bagels donuts, muffins and rolls, juice for early sessions. Pizza, hot dogs, sandwhiches, chips, candy. soda, water.

They never have anything we would buy. I wish they sold protein bars, because that’s the only thing my kid would want on meet day. The other thing we would both eat would be those power packs, the ones with cheese or hummus some pretzels or crackers with some grapes, carrots or apple slices and dried fruit/nuts Or seeds. I’d like fruit/veggie. we typically BYO.

See this is my Issue. Quantity. I’m used to sports where a ton of people buy food but I have noticed that people don’t tend to eat concessions food at gymnastics meets and I don’t want to overplan.

Nobody likes my idea of concessions... but it is a winner.

Just buy hot dogs and chips and soda / water. Sell it for the following...

Hot Dog / Chips / Soda Meal = $7
Hot Dog = $5
Chips = $2
Soda / Water = $2

Run to the gas station when you run out.

I wouldn't sell anything else.

If you sell baked good and other junk for a quarter... then they fill up on that and you make nothing. Sell something cheap that you can restock easily... and sell it for a lot. You have a captive audience... if they are hungry... they will eat. Make sure you have a good announcer to direct people to the food.

HOT DOGS... GET YOUR HOT DOGS... ONLY $5... ADD CHIPS AND A DRINK FOR ONLY $2 MORE!

I would eat this.

Usually I'm focused on getting my daughter ready for the meet so we can get there 30 min before start time. At best we have a 30 min drive, but sometimes we may drive for several hours before we get there.

Then there is the meet itself, so parents (ME) get hungry. For some reason when I see concessions my mind goes to concessions at football games and I always crave a hotdog. No one ever has it. I see pizza being sold by the slice and M&M's for $2 but never hotdogs or even nachos. I want bleacher approved foods and not overpriced groceries.

Cup o noodles. Those go like CRAZY around here and they're cheap as heck to buy. Costco, smart and final, etc. Sell them for $3

Reactions: JBS
See this is my Issue. Quantity. I’m used to sports where a ton of people buy food but I have noticed that people don’t tend to eat concessions food at gymnastics meets and I don’t want to overplan.
If I were going to splurge on fast/junk food. I’d take a hotdog over pizza any day and twice con Sunday. I’m likely to pass a half a dozen pizza places on the way home. Eating pizza hanging around in a box for hours heck no

Cup o noodles. Those go like CRAZY around here and they're cheap as heck to buy. Costco, smart and final, etc. Sell them for $3

That’s the ticket… right idea! I’d go $5 though. It’s not chips or a soda… so $5!

I'm intrigued by this. I feel like our gym tries to do to much with concessions and usually has a lot leftover. I don't know if they'd be open to change for future meets (we host 2 per season), though...

If I were going to splurge on fast/junk food. I’d take a hotdog over pizza any day and twice con Sunday. I’m likely to pass a half a dozen pizza places on the way home. Eating pizza hanging around in a box for hours heck no
I agree. Pizza would just sit on a warmer anyway. Likely it's been there for hours and it's just gross when I see it at meets. Hotdogs can sit in a crockpot or just hot water and they will be fine and sometimes better if they have been sitting in the hot dog water all day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back