WAG Proper Mat to learn front tuck flip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been learning and conditioning for the front flip tuck. To test in real environment, what is a good type of mat to learn? Is it a cheese wedge mat? My gymnast coach wants me to learn on 1) regular panel mat, but I was hearing 2) a incline cheese wedge would be better to alleviate the fall. Any other ideas for mats?

I'm at the point where I am training for pure floor routine, without a tumble trak.

1650991978615.png

Btw, I believe the incline cheese wedge mat at our gym is little smaller, not as big as one above, so panel mat maybe more optimal. Or maybe, is there a safe way to stack the small cheese mat on a regular mat?

what is a good type of mat to learn?

There are many ways to learn a front tuck. There are drills that you can do on many mats.

We typically use 8"+ thick mats or our in-ground resi pits when first learning. We learn front tucks through the use of rolling drills and trampoline drills first though.

There are many ways to learn a front tuck. There are drills that you can do on many mats.

We typically use 8"+ thick mats or our in-ground resi pits when first learning. We learn front tucks through the use of rolling drills and trampoline drills first though.
yep, I am learning rolling drills also. I think my main issue is falling on 1% chance head/neck injury for beginners. If I used a Large Incline cheese mat at my last gymnastics place, the chances of that are rare. Does 8inch thick mats or resi pits prevent those head/neck falls?

Btw, can cheese incline mats, be stacked safely on other mats to make it higher? Ours is kind of smaller

2) also meaning is it safe to stack a cheese mat on a 8 inch thick mat? are they built for this?

1651000504069.png

1651000466867.png

It depends entirely on how you're learning it, how strong you are, where you're currently at in the progression, how tall you are, what facilities you have available, what sort of coaching you have available, etc, etc, etc.

There isn't really a "best mat;" it's very context-dependent.

Reactions: JBS
We use soft mats to learn, though we use a wedge to jump from a trampoline onto our backs on the wedge stacked on mats. Once you have the height, you really can just try onto a crash mat until you're ready.

At my gym, we stack them on top of 2 thick mats stacked on a box, so I would think that it would be safe for an 8 inch mat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back