WAG How many hrs for different levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone I am new here :) I have been reading over all your awesome threads and have noticed a big difference in hours as to what some of your girls do vs what our gym seems to do. I am in Canada my daughter is 9years old in level 3 doing 16 hrs a week. She will be doing at least level 4 in the fall with 16 hrs again. I know 12 year old girls at our gym doing level 8-10 doing 25-30hrs a week. This seems like alot to me and I was wondering if this is common with Canadian and American gymnastics? Please let me know your kids age, level, hours a week and what country your from. Trying to learn all about this world and realiatic expectations :) Thanx so much!

I am aware that my gym is an outlier because of our very low hours, but here you go:
Levels 2 - 8 and Xcel Gold - Platinum (ages 6 - 18) 6 hours a week. It was 7.5 hours a week before the pandemic ... and we didn't have a Level 2 team back then either.

My daughter is 14, level 10, and she trains 22 1/2 hours a week. She went from 6 to 9 to 12 to 15 to 16 to 20 to 22 1/2 over about 8 years on team.

I think that will be her max and she actually would like to go back to 20 honestly. Her gym considers themselves a college prep type gym. No elite at all, but they have a large level 10 team and many/most go on to compete in college.

I'm in the US. My daughter is Xcel Silver, age 11, 9 hours/week. Next level up is Xcel Gold, who trains 12 hours/week. Our Level 10s max out at 19 hours.

In our gym JO practices the following hours:

Level 3 - 9 hours
Level 4 - 12 hours
Level 5 - 14 hours
Levels 6/7 - 16 hours
Levels 8/9/10 - 20 hours

We also have Xcel, but I’m not familiar with their practice schedule. I think it ranges from 6-12 hours depending on level.

My daughter is also 9 yo and in level 3 in Ontario (Toronto). It is her first year in comp. She does 12-15 hrs/ week (3 hrs are “optional”). She likely will be moving to level 4 next yr, and it will probably be 16 hrs (possibly 3 more hours are “optional”).

My daughter is 14, level 10, and she trains 22 1/2 hours a week. She went from 6 to 9 to 12 to 15 to 16 to 20 to 22 1/2 over about 8 years on team.

I think that will be her max and she actually would like to go back to 20 honestly. Her gym considers themselves a college prep type gym. No elite at all, but they have a large level 10 team and many/most go on to compete in college.
I like the sounds of that so much more! I feel it is so much for young kids and teens to be above 20 hrs. Especially when they are expected to leave school early for gym. Are you in the USA?

My daughter is also 9 yo and in level 3 in Ontario (Toronto). It is her first year in comp. She does 12-15 hrs/ week (3 hrs are “optional”). She likely will be moving to level 4 next yr, and it will probably be 16 hrs (possibly 3 more hours are “optional”).
Similar to us but we werent offered a option. 16hrs seems to be the mandatory. Thanx for the feedback!

We are also in Canada, my daughter trained 16 hours when she was level 4, now trains 20 as a level 10. Hours vary at our gym as they are somewhat flexible with athletes depending on their availability and their goals.

I like the sounds of that so much more! I feel it is so much for young kids and teens to be above 20 hrs. Especially when they are expected to leave school early for gym. Are you in the USA?
Oh sorry, yes we’re in the US. North Carolina to be specific.

I will say that in general (I know there are exception) I think you’ll find that people on this website are not the ones that are doing the super high hours. But they definitely exist in the US. If you spend anytime on the popular facebook groups for the sport, you'll find them. I personally think 20 is plenty and, I guess fortunately for me, my daughter isn't interested in upping her hours. :)

We're in the US, DD is 9. Last season she competed L3 at her old gym, and trained 9 hours. She switched gyms post season, and is training 10.5 hours with the L3's, training for L4. Come summer, she'll be in the L4 group, training 14 hours, and will tentatively stay at 14 for the school year. Our optionals currently train 20 hours, but will be going down to 16 come summer. I believe HC said due to overuse injuries.

I don’t remember compulsory hours by us but optionals 6 do 14hrs 7-8 do 16ish and 9-10 do 20. Training elite/hopes group do 24. Our gym is a top level 10 gym and most girls are successful in getting a college scholarship.

I’m in the US but we have Canadian cousins involved in gymnastics. Their gyms in Ontario run longer and more frequent workouts than my daughter’s gym and other gyms I know in the US. Her cousins have consistently done at least 1 more day per week and 2-6 more hours per week than the average hours near us, and this goes all the way back to when they were doing the equivalent of pre-pre-team. The hours may reflect cultural differences and expectations. There are a lot of immigrant parents at their gym, including my relatives, and they perceive the higher hours as a sign of a good gym. They definitely do more high-rep stuff, more conditioning, and less strength work than my daughter’s gym.

That is a lot, but it really depends on how you spend the training time.
Our gym is:
5 hrs-L2
7.5 hrs- L3
8 hrs-L4
11 hrs-L5
13 hrs-L6/7
15 hrs- L8-10
In the summer it is 2+is hours more.

Level 3 - 9 hours
Level 4 - 12 hours
That seems like a pretty "normal" schedule to me. Level 3 is three days/week for three hours and Level 4 is three days/week for four hours.

I'm not sure why OP listed ages. I've yet to see a gym that offers differing hours with a level by age. My daughter's gym has a 6 year old doing 9 hours in L3 along with the 7, 8, 9, and 10 year olds.

Level 3 - 9 hours
Level 4 - 12 hours
Level 5 - 14 hours
Levels 6/7 - 16 hours
Levels 8/9/10 - 20 hours

We also have Xcel, but I’m not familiar with their practice schedule. I think it ranges from 6-12 hours depending on level.

That seems like a pretty "normal" schedule to me. Level 3 is three days/week for three hours and Level 4 is three days/week for four hours.

I'm not sure why OP listed ages. I've yet to see a gym that offers differing hours with a level by age. My daughter's gym has a 6 year old doing 9 hours in L3 along with the 7, 8, 9, and 10 year olds.
Discussing ages I was curious from a mom stand point. Our gym is the same and train hours by level not by age. I think our gym is on the higher end of hours per level. Following JO aswell level 3-6 is 16hrs, 4 times a week 4 hrs each through summer and school. Level 6 on the aspire route so lvl 6-8 are 25 hrs 5 days 5 hrs. Level 8-10 train 27-30 hrs. It just seems like alot to me considering some kids reach those levels before high school. I will say we have many girls who have gotten full ride NCAA scholarships and made national teams. We are just ending our firat season of competitive gymnastics and wanted to see what training looks like for other families.

Discussing ages I was curious from a mom stand point. Our gym is the same and train hours by level not by age. I think our gym is on the higher end of hours per level. Following JO aswell level 3-6 is 16hrs, 4 times a week 4 hrs each through summer and school. Level 6 on the aspire route so lvl 6-8 are 25 hrs 5 days 5 hrs. Level 8-10 train 27-30 hrs. It just seems like alot to me considering some kids reach those levels before high school. I will say we have many girls who have gotten full ride NCAA scholarships and made national teams. We are just ending our firat season of competitive gymnastics and wanted to see what training looks like for other families.
I'd agree that 16 hours for a level 3 is very much on the high end. I'm surprised the hours are flat from 3 to 6 though.

As my username would suggest, we’re in New Zealand. My daughter is 8 and has at the start of this year joined a WAG STEP 4 team (which is the NZ equivalent to USAG L4), and she trains 12h/week across three days.

While we’re still pretty new to the competitive gymnastics, from talking to other parents at the gym the hours for STEPS (regardless of age) seem to be STEP 3&4 12h, STEP 5&6 16h, STEP 7&8 20h. I’m not too sure on the hours of the higher levels?

For comparison, when my daughter did L3&4 Squad gymnastics (our equivalent to Excel) over the last two years, they trained L2 4h, L3 5h, L4 7.5h, L5&6 9.5h (Squad in NZ only goes upto L6).

L1: 3 hrs
L2: 4 1/2
L3: 5 1/2 hours
L4: 9 hours
L5: 10 hours
L6: 12
L7: 15
L8/9/10: 18; or, for the homeschool kids, or graduates, 20-30 hours
Elites: (We are so proud of Dominic Clarke, Emma Nedov, Breanna Scott, and all of our elite superstars) 25-35

This from a successful Aussie Gym in Rooty Hill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back