Parents Does anyone else have this problem?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rufusgym889

Proud Parent
My dd uses her right leg for handstands and walkovers, but uses her left leg for cartwheels, roundoffs, and turns. Is this something that needs to be worked around for? Would it be a good idea for her to learn her right leg cartwheel instead, for example? She is not at a high level (around xcel gold), but would this affect her later when she starts connecting more skills and does twisting?

Yes, we have a few gymnasts with this problem. It is useful to try to work everything on the same dominant side. It can become an issue later on with things like beam series.

Yes, we have a few gymnasts with this problem. It is useful to try to work everything on the same dominant side. It can become an issue later on with things like beam series.
Same problem here! I thought once my daughter left compulsories it wouldn’t matter that she uses different legs for skills. She received several deductions on floor and beam from the extra steps to get on correct leg. It’s now proving to be a problem in her beam series as she uses a different leg for her BWO and BHS step out.

My daughter is ambidextrous with her legs. She’s now a multi year level ten and it does come in handy as she can do connections that most can’t with ease. She did have to choose a dominant leg for her skills whe she was younger (round offs etc) but can do over splits either way with jumps, switch leaps etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back