Parents L10 gymnast (The Reality Of College Gymnastics)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At every level it’s always something. If you’re going up against a 5th year senior and your the same age, it’s the same playing field.

At every level it’s always something. If you’re going up against a 5th year senior and your the same age, it’s the same playing field.
I disagree. There is a huge difference between a 1st year L10 and a 3rd,4th,5th+ year. That has nothing to do with age.

Are they in the same session? Then it’s even
Do you really think that, on average, 4+ year L10s don't have an advantage over 1st year L10s? Competing in the same session has nothing to do with it. I am not saying that they should be grouped by years in level (though i did believe that at one time) but to not even acknowlege there is a difference...

Do you really think that, on average, 4+ year L10s don't have an advantage over 1st year L10s? Competing in the same session has nothing to do with it. I am not saying that they should be grouped by years in level (though i did believe that at one time) but to not even acknowlege there is a difference...
I believe everyone has the same 24hour days, I also believe the phrase it is what it is, so you can’t complain about anything. If that first year level 10 is in a senior session it’s her fault not the 4th year. No once you get to level 10 it shouldn’t be anymore excuses

Are they in the same session? Then it’s even
I think maybe from where you sit that is the case, you have a very talented daughter in a competitive region. Now from the standpoint of a parent with a first year average level 10 I agree with Gymgal. Let’s take out the top tier kids and for the rest in my opinion there is a huge difference from a first year level 10 to a multiple year level 10. Having arrived at level 10 I better understand d the need to get there young and do multiple years. Can some arrive and be instantly competitive, yes, but I don’t think that is the norm.

It will never be “even” cause there are too many variables - ability, region, training hours , availiblitly of gyms with high level coaching and so on. Age is the only way to group I suppose. But to say because they are the same age it is even well I dont agree.

Not making excuses seriously not sure why you feel so concrete about it. I guarantee it my kid had gym options where there was access to high level coaching she would be a different gymnast But we are in a small region with very few options. It is what it is and I make no excuses and am not complaining.

So I personally am glad that we aren't at a gym where all the focus is on elite and the "average" level 10 girls end up feeling like they aren't good enough. That would be really hard.
I can understand how someone can think this, but, and this may just be due to the atmosphere at my gym or something, the elites are inspiring. The Level 10s are inspired by them, and train with them a few days a week. We want to be like them, and like having them around to see what work ethic we have to put in to get where we want to be. Dominic Clarke, trampoline gymnast, went to the Olympics last year, and inspires everyone in the gym. Breanna Scott works so hard, and inspires us. Emma Nedov was beam world champion, and loves the sport, and is so smily, that she inspires everyone in the gym. The Acro elites are so fun, and helpful. They are so encouraging too. I think it also depends on the mentality the gymnast takes up. You can feel like your not good enough when all the focus is on the elites, or you take inspiration from them, their prescence, and everything they do.

We didn't really have a choice as there are no elite training gyms in our area, but I wonder about that too. My daughter is at a college focused gym and I feel like they do a pretty good job of supporting all the level 10s although some are clearly higher performing than others (my daughter is not in the higher performing group btw. At least not yet. :)). But just making it to level 10 means you are talented! Knowing my daughter, I'm not sure she would have even made it to level 10 if her coaches weren't invested in her and supportive of her. So I personally am glad that we aren't at a gym where all the focus is on elite and the "average" level 10 girls end up feeling like they aren't good enough. That would be really hard.
We are lucky our gym is college-focused though there are a few elites/kids training elite.
I’m reading this thread closely because we are almost up to the recruiting stage with a 2024 kid…

I believe everyone has the same 24hour days, I also believe the phrase it is what it is, so you can’t complain about anything. If that first year level 10 is in a senior session it’s her fault not the 4th year. No once you get to level 10 it shouldn’t be anymore excuses
No. Way. Everyone does not have the same 24 hour days, the same type of training available, etc. We have zero gyms in our state with Tops, hopes, elite programs and very, very few level 10s. These kids are not less talented. We just don’t have the same resources.

I think maybe from where you sit that is the case, you have a very talented daughter in a competitive region. Now from the standpoint of a parent with a first year average level 10 I agree with Gymgal. Let’s take out the top tier kids and for the rest in my opinion there is a huge difference from a first year level 10 to a multiple year level 10. Having arrived at level 10 I better understand d the need to get there young and do multiple years. Can some arrive and be instantly competitive, yes, but I don’t think that is the norm.

It will never be “even” cause there are too many variables - ability, region, training hours , availiblitly of gyms with high level coaching and so on. Age is the only way to group I suppose. But to say because they are the same age it is even well I dont agree.

Not making excuses seriously not sure why you feel so concrete about it. I guarantee it my kid had gym options where there was access to high level coaching she would be a different gymnast But we are in a small region with very few options. It is what it is and I make no excuses and am not complaining.
100% agree. Someone from NorCal with a talented daughter and many program options can’t understand other parts of the country where this simply is not an option.

100% agree. Someone from NorCal with a talented daughter and many program options can’t understand other parts of the country where this simply is not an option.
If this was a job a job interview and someone with more experience and a degree came at the interview at the same time as you, would you complain about the resources that person had or would work try harder to get the job? I know a WHOLE LOT of girls that live in small states that kill it in JO

I’m really not trying to be Debbie downer. We got that letter too after freshman year and daughter took about 8-9 AP classes. Like I said, plenty of academic scholarship offers, but the out of state costs are still sooo high. There are just so many excellent students now. Everything has gotten very competitive. But all of that combined WITH the gymnastics really might get her a spot on an ivy league team from what it sounds like.
You are so right. Its has gotten very competitive.
I’m really not trying to be Debbie downer. We got that letter too after freshman year and daughter took about 8-9 AP classes. Like I said, plenty of academic scholarship offers, but the out of state costs are still sooo high. There are just so many excellent students now. Everything has gotten very competitive. But all of that combined WITH the gymnastics really might get her a spot on an ivy league team from what it sounds like.
You are so right!!!. It has really gotten so competitive.
That's so interesting, that you have recieved the same letter. My DD didn't apply or contact them. She had written an essay and her teacher submitted it.
Just thinking about all the money we have spent on gymnastic for over 14 years , her college would have been paid for or at least close to it!

If this was a job a job interview and someone with more experience and a degree came at the interview at the same time as you, would you complain about the resources that person had or would work try harder to get the job? I know a WHOLE LOT of girls that live in small states that kill it in JO
you definitely do not know any girls “killing it” from this state. I said there are zero elites of any kind over here and very, very few level 10s. I won’t even give our stats from nationals. And you are missing the point. The girls here DO work hard. We don’t have the coaches or the gyms. you don‘t seem to understand.

You are so right. Its has gotten very competitive.

You are so right!!!. It has really gotten so competitive.
That's so interesting, that you have recieved the same letter. My DD didn't apply or contact them. She had written an essay and her teacher submitted it.
Just thinking about all the money we have spent on gymnastic for over 14 years , her college would have been paid for or at least close to it!
I think she got that letter due to some of the science coursework she took and possibly science fair. It sounded like a really cool program. And yes! With what we have spent on gymnastics, we could pay a college tuition. :DThat’s why I can’t justify moving heaven and earth to make gymnastics happen. Some families are willing to do that, but for a variety of reasons, it’s not the right choice for us.

I would agree with this statement.

If a former Elite is competing Level 10... they are basically no longer an Elite. Those are the athletes that you want to contend with if you want to go to a high end D1 school.
Who are the former elites attending full time high school, taking AP classes and getting 32s on the ACT? I have not seen many of those at all. I’ve looked at rosters, and it really appears that a good percentage of former elites who drop down to 10 continue to homeschool. I’m not trying to be argumentative, but that is what I see.

I understand that those are the gymnasts who will get the competitive college spots. It’s just a totally different lifestyle choice than a full time brick and mortar high school student trying to do level 10. And the different lifestyle choice really starts long before high school. I don’t know if families understand this going into the sport.

Who are the former elites attending full time high school, taking AP classes and getting 32s on the ACT?

Not former elites… gymnasts… just gymnasts. Many gymnasts achieve what was said before.

I can certainly see both sides of the argument, and think there are two separate issues here.

1) People choosing a less intense path. This is their choice and you have to own your choices. Nothing unfair here. In the end, you have a finite amount of time to do things and whether you choose to spend your life on gymnastics or whether you choose to go to school and have friends outside the gym, or homeschool and still train lower hours but also play an instrument well, or whatever... it is a choice you made thinking this was going to be for the best. Regretting past choices is rarely productive.

2) People wanting a better/more intense training environment and not having access to it. I certainly understand the frustration of those from states without tremendously well-equipped gyms and high-level coaches but, unfortunately, life is not fair. Most elites from other countries don't have anywhere near the training facilities/quality of coaches that even most US level 10s have access to, never mind the US elites, but I don't see people complaining that is unfair that the US competes at the same world championships as those countries. It would be great if differences in access to opportunities could be evened out (not only in gymnastics, but in education, healthcare - everything in life really) but this is unfortunately extremely hard to realise. Communism was an attempt and we all know how that turned out... (I think this is what Ty's dad meant by believing in "it is what it is".) This should not minimise people's frustrations, I have been on the "losing side" through no fault of my own, simply lack of opportunities, and I know very well how painful it can be (and how hard it is to come to terms with the outcomes, and how impossible at the time to "gracefully accept" that it is what it is), especially if people who seem to "have it all" also appear take their opportunities for granted. (Then again, I don't really know, but vague memories of old posts of Ty's dad seem to suggest he has not always had the easiest path, so maybe he has come to his stance through acceptance that you sometimes get lucky and sometimes you don't rather than never having had an uphill battle - I think judging where people come from when they say things online is close to impossible.)

Anyway, my two cents.

And yes, I agree that the fifth year super seniors did not help, although most people were thrilled to see them do a fifth year. I really do not think elite dropbacks should be competing against first year or "regular" level 10s. Same with girls training hopes who compete against "regular" level 8s and 9s. It is not a level playing field. Other sports have different leagues.

I’ve wondered if USAG could add a post-elite level which uses the level 10 code. Any athlete who qualifies elite but later “drops back” to DP would compete this level.

I'm sorry, some of these posts are too "Everyone gets a trophy". Segregating L10s into 1st years and previous elites does nothing for anyone except allow everyone to get a medal (and I mean that figuratively). What is separating them going to accomplish? They still will have to go up against the same quality athletes, and still have to try and get themselves noticed, assuming a college scholarship is the goal. I agree there is a difference between a first year L10 and and one that has several years. But you still are competing in the DP program and maybe I am wrong, but I understood one of the differences between the DP and Excel was the competitive structure of DP versus Excel. Theoretically, the DP program is supposed to be part of the filtering process of getting athletes to the pinnacle of representing their country.

I'm sorry, some of these posts are too "Everyone gets a trophy". Segregating L10s into 1st years and previous elites does nothing for anyone except allow everyone to get a medal (and I mean that figuratively). What is separating them going to accomplish? They still will have to go up against the same quality athletes, and still have to try and get themselves noticed, assuming a college scholarship is the goal. I agree there is a difference between a first year L10 and and one that has several years. But you still are competing in the DP program and maybe I am wrong, but I understood one of the differences between the DP and Excel was the competitive structure of DP versus Excel. Theoretically, the DP program is supposed to be part of the filtering process of getting athletes to the pinnacle of representing their country.
I don’t like the ”everyone gets a trophy” notion, but the way this is set up is all kind of a hodge podge mess to me. Xcel is not being used for that purpose anymore, so quite a few gyms are now training high hours with the intent to eventually stream to the DP program. So there are now homeschooling xcel gymnasts competing against kids doing xcel recreationally.

Why couldn’t this be like other sports with different leagues? I understand why you might disagree coming from different experiences with many gym options. I think it’s silly for my kid to compete at regionals on level 8 as a full time student training 15 hours a week with no pits (I really could go on and on) against a homeschooling HOPES athlete doing nothing but gymnastics all day. The difference in conditioning and technique is striking. my daughter did really well and actually did get some medals, but the girl who won had a 39 competing pretty advanced level 8 skills. My child did pretty standard level 8 (no double back bar dismount for example), earned very close to a 38, but she isn’t even working some of these skills yet. Not because she isn’t capable of doing those skills but due to circumstances and training limitations.

The other countries having less is certainly true but most of those countries still have more then we’ve got in this state. When you’re talking about the Olympics, that’s different. We aren’t doing the Olympics. The Olympics was the goal when the Eastern bloc countries pulled kids from families to train full-time like a job. We are doing youth sports with possible college aspirations, but to achieve that goal, it has gotten so crazy that kids have to devote their entire childhood to a sport and go elite to achieve that kind of like a full time job.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back