Parents Always hurting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
Since we have had a lot of upper optional postings lately, here's another topic I've been wondering about. I've seen on lots of posts here and in other groups where people say once you reach level 9/10, there is always something hurting and to expect regular pain, etc. Has that been your experience? Is your child always hurting in some way or another? Do you do anything preventative or treatment wise to help with this (vitamins, massage, adjustments ,etc)? Or has it not been a problem so far?

My daughter looked at me like I was crazy when I asked her if she was often/always in pain after reading a comment about it. She hasn't experienced that, at least not yet, and we don't do anything special to avoid it honestly. So no massages, special diet, chiro visits, etc. The only PT she has had was for her ankle after acute injuries to it. She does have occasional pain from things like rips or bruises from falling on beam. But nothing that lasts and she never takes ibuprofen or does any other treatments for those type pains, except maybe applying a tea bag to a rip. I guess she's been lucky so far!

My daughter looked at me like I was crazy when I asked her if she was often/always in pain after reading a comment about it. She hasn't experienced that, at least not yet, and we don't do anything special to avoid it honestly. So no massages, special diet, chiro visits, etc. The only PT she has had was for her ankle after acute injuries to it. She does have occasional pain from things like rips or bruises from falling on beam. But nothing that lasts and she never takes ibuprofen or does any other treatments for those type pains, except maybe applying a tea bag to a rip. I guess she's been lucky so far!
What level is your daughter and how long has she been in gym. Perspective matters.

Mine is L8/9. She has had wrist issues since L6. And those wrists are wrapped in tape and tiger paws if she is doing gym. is she in constant pain? No. And she has more pain and issues then the non gym/athlete kids she goes to school with.

I see many kids at our meets wrapped and taped. I didn’t get it a L2/3 now I do.

She's 14 and level 10. She's been on team since she was 6. :)

I know she's been lucky, but just wondering how unusual it is to be an upper optional and not always in pain. I hope it's not that uncommon.
Thanks for clarifying. I think it’s somewhat uncommon and very happy for your kid. The sport is just hard on the body.

We’ve been through injuries and all but none of mine would say they are constantly in pain. For reference I have 3 gymnasts, 2 level 10’s and a level 7.
We’ve only done PT and therapies post injury, never on a constant basis.
DD16 was in pain last year for about 2 months after she fractured a wrist but totally fine now.
My oldest 2 have prescribed vitamins from our specialized sports nutritionist (I can’t even read their names).
We are definitely lucky but I also think our gym is brilliant at injury prevention and management.

Pain is relative and individual to everyone. Some people have a high tolerance. But my daughter has the occasional aches and soreness, but isn't in constant pain. We do have her going to a regular massage therapist (sports) that helps. Other than that, nothing else, good sleep.

Not necessarily. The age they hit optionajs plays a big role. Girls between the age of about 11-16 are going through a lot of physical and hormonal changes.

They are more prone to injury at this age, bones and muscles don’t all grow in the same way and evenly and the girls need to constantly adjust to those changes.

Mine has fairly consistent pain for her feet. She has incremental pain for Knees, parts of her back, and wrists. I would say shes very often hurting or at least sore. She goes to a Chiropractor which helps a ton. I wish she would do more proactive stretching and PT exercisesI think that would solve some of her issues.

Shes 12 training level 9.

Not constant pain, but there have been a number of injuries and growth related issues. Severs was common in younger gymnasts. The 8-10 group has had sprained ankles, bone bruising, muscle sprains, various wrist and back issues. Actually, I can only think of 1 girl who hasn't had an injury in that level and she is considerably younger than the others. I think the growth spurts and changes that happen with puberty have a lot to do with it. I don't think our gym really focuses on injury prevention. We've been so short staffed since the pandemic that I think that aspect fell off.

Point blank this should not be the case. If a child has pain it must be addressed and attended to. Chronic/Constant overuse pain is the case oftentimes though, because gymnasts are not taught to listen to our bodies, but to the coaches. Overuse injuries mean something is wrong with the training side that should be addressed, but oftentimes it is just swept under the rug.

An example would be I was having low back muscle strain pain that was not serious, and so my coach took a good look at how I was training, we experimented, and then determined I was doing to many reps of my series on beam. Problem fixed. My sister and a couple others on her team were having wrist pain so the whole gym started wrist strengthening conditioning to prevent that in other gymnast and help the ailing girls. In addition put them in tiger paws and watched reps. That was after a break until there was no pain in the daily. Problem solved.

I think you see my point. Pain is there for a reason, and it means something is wrong that must be fixed which is the gymnasts job to listen to their body and the coaches job to figure out the reasoning.

I am adamant about this as I have never been in constant pain and no one should have. The mentality of pain-is-okay-and-normal has gone on to long in gymnastics and needs to change. Education is key to that.

Not constant pain, but there have been a number of injuries and growth related issues. Severs was common in younger gymnasts. The 8-10 group has had sprained ankles, bone bruising, muscle sprains, various wrist and back issues. Actually, I can only think of 1 girl who hasn't had an injury in that level and she is considerably younger than the others. I think the growth spurts and changes that happen with puberty have a lot to do with it. I don't think our gym really focuses on injury prevention. We've been so short staffed since the pandemic that I think that aspect fell off.

I think injuries are definitely different. And I definitely understand the impacts of growing and puberty. I've just read in various places around the internet that everyone hurts at that level, and I don't think that is true. I thought I'd see what the consensus was here. I am sure a lot of it does have to do with how the gym handles conditioning and injury prevention, etc. I will say that when I asked my daughter about it she did say that there are a couple of girls at her gym that always seem to have something hurting (not injury related) and are known for having a bottle of ibuprofen they carry to the gym everyday. (hopefully they aren't using it everyday!)

Point blank this should not be the case. If a child has pain it must be addressed and attended to. Chronic/Constant overuse pain is the case oftentimes though, because gymnasts are not taught to listen to our bodies, but to the coaches. Overuse injuries mean something is wrong with the training side that should be addressed, but oftentimes it is just swept under the rug.

An example would be I was having low back muscle strain pain that was not serious, and so my coach took a good look at how I was training, we experimented, and then determined I was doing to many reps of my series on beam. Problem fixed. My sister and a couple others on her team were having wrist pain so the whole gym started wrist strengthening conditioning to prevent that in other gymnast and help the ailing girls. In addition put them in tiger paws and watched reps. That was after a break until there was no pain in the daily. Problem solved.

I think you see my point. Pain is there for a reason, and it means something is wrong that must be fixed which is the gymnasts job to listen to their body and the coaches job to figure out the reasoning.

I am adamant about this as I have never been in constant pain and no one should have. The mentality of pain-is-okay-and-normal has gone on to long in gymnastics and needs to change. Education is key to that.
Yes, I agree. That's why I was hoping that it isn't true that most gymnasts are always in pain/have something hurting. I was surprised to read it and to see that most people agreed when someone suggested it was true (in a different group). I don't think all chronic pain or soreness can be prevented, as I think some peoples bodies are just more prone to issues. But for sure a lot can be avoided or stopped with good coaching and other preventative measures.

I will say I went to a college meet (I think it was D1 but not a very competative program) and after the meet when they did awards every single girl and guy on the floor had ice bags taped to something...a foot, an ankle, a shoulder, their back, most of them had ice on multiple body parts. I think enduring a certain amount of pain is pretty common in any high level athletics.

Well, not like I broke my ankle then I tore a tendon now I broke my back, like serial injuries. But like, oh hey my rip hurts, I have a few bruises, but never anything major. Pain shouldn't stop them from enjoying life, and if it does, something's wrong, and it's not a bruise or rip.

Mine is sore a lot.. muscles soreness. There has been some pain from minor injuries as well. Not sure pain and muscle soreness is the same. If they are then mine is in pain 85% of the time..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back