Coaches Another coach coaching your child

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Radbay

Coach
Proud Parent
My older child has started gymnastics and I'm having a difficult time watching their coach not teach them correctly. I'm also having a hard time trying not to teach them at home. I'm trying hard to stay hands-off but it is becoming increasingly difficult. Has anyone gone through this and how did you handle it?

My older child has started gymnastics and I'm having a difficult time watching their coach not teach them correctly. I'm also having a hard time trying not to teach them at home. I'm trying hard to stay hands-off but it is becoming increasingly difficult. Has anyone gone through this and how did you handle it?
Sort of. When my youngest first started and was on the preteam, she had some pretty unknowledgeable coaches. I didn't really intervene because as soon as she got to team I would be coaching her. I then coached her on all 4 events through L7 but only coached her on 2 events after that. I intervened in the other two events, but it wasn't really a matter of her being taught something wrong. It would be when she wasn't getting enough help on something. It was frustrating to me to have to do that and to know it was my own boss who was being lazy, but it kind of worked. Even though my daughter never said a word (was scared to), he figured out she was getting outside help and took it out on her, which really sucked! He would make snide remarks like "I'm sure your mom will have better answers." It was really uncalled for. All that I did was to ask her to get videos of the skills she was having trouble with. Since he wasn't helping her, I would go over the corrections she needed to make on the videos at home. She would make them (without ever once saying, "my mom said") and improve and he would get mad. She started feeling so uncomfortable that she asked to change gyms. We switched to another gym and I never had to intervene again, so ultimately that was way better than the first two situations. I will say that the problem with the latter situation was that my boss had an ego problem. He needed to believe that his employees could learn from him, but not the other way around. He was very intimidated anytime one of his team members learned from anyone else but him.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back