WAG Coaches taking over from other groups...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Em09

Gymnast
Okay, there's something I've begun to notice at my gym more recently. There is a very large level 4 group at my gym. The three coaches are young, about 18-22 years old. I understand that the gym is big and their group is big, but they have taken over! They decided to take all the floors on one side, routine floor and training floor. This left Team Gym, Acro Dance, Level 3 and L10/Elite to train on the sides of the floor. They kicked L3 and 10/Elite off the floors, we had to stretch on the sides, they took up all the bars and all the weights, and set up huge circuits when the poor Team Gym had to set up one exercise on the side at a time for their circuit. We had to hijack the back of the Tramp area. We can only thank the Head Tramp coach for letting us. Meanwhile, Level 4 kicked off EVERYONE. I get they're a big group, but maybe they could use ONE floor, with the kids training on the sides, so that the other groups can have the other floor and the sides. Team Gym can also use the rec floor, and the L10 and 3s can split the back floor (there are 16 kids in this particular L3, maybe 10-15 in this particular L10/Elite group? Any advice? Thoughts? Experience? Am I overreacting, or am I right in thinking that the space could be shared a bit better?

This is so,e thing the gym owners and managers need to sort out. Gyms don’t run well without a clear apparatus timetable as to who gets to use which apparatus at which times. This will have to be adjusted if groups end up quite large, but really there is not a lot you can do.

Our gym has a very regimented schedule for every piece of equipment in the gym. You really can't "take over" anyone elses space. Its either your floor time and you get floor A during that time or its not your floor time and you dont get to use it. That being said there is some give and take, like if beam kids need to warm up on the lines on the floor they are allowed to do that but it doesn't take over the floor area from the group that has assigned floor time. I think its something the owners need to work out because you are right just because you have a large group doesnt mean you can monopolize equipment.

Oh, we have a schedule, but these three coaches take over the space no matter what, and the owners don't seem to know.

Doesn't sound like a good use of gym space. Our gym has a very clear timetable of what groups are using what events and doing what when. You sound like you are one of the upper level gymnasts, correct me if I'm wrong. Could you talk to your coach/the owners about what is going on?

Gyms should have a defined rotation system for who is using which equipment at any given time. It is common though fur gyms to have groups stretch and conditions on the side, so other groups can use the floors

What did your coach say? I’d be surprised if they were okay with it. It’s not common for a lower level to kick the higher levels off events at any of the gyms I’ve been at.

Doesn't sound like a good use of gym space. Our gym has a very clear timetable of what groups are using what events and doing what when. You sound like you are one of the upper level gymnasts, correct me if I'm wrong. Could you talk to your coach/the owners about what is going on?
No, it is not! Yes, I am an upper level gymnast, one of the L10/Elites. The coaches are aware, and frustrated. I will encourage them to tell the owners, for sure.
What did your coach say? I’d be surprised if they were okay with it. It’s not common for a lower level to kick the higher levels off events at any of the gyms I’ve been at.
My coach was quite mad! They were not okay with it. Her exact words were, 'Seriously? You're kicking us off again? All we want to do is warm up, do a few routines maybe!' Nope. Apparently not.

Reactions: sce
No, it is not! Yes, I am an upper level gymnast, one of the L10/Elites. The coaches are aware, and frustrated. I will encourage them to tell the owners, for sure.

My coach was quite mad! They were not okay with it. Her exact words were, 'Seriously? You're kicking us off again? All we want to do is warm up, do a few routines maybe!' Nope. Apparently not.
Why didn’t your coach just say No?

Honestly... not sure, possibly that the other coach was very assertive and would not budge her group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back