Parents Almost 11 year old being asked to repeat Level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Unfortunately after several times talking to them they have said they are being “cautious with move ups this year” and she is “slightly technically behind”. I explained how we understood she struggled at the start of last season and therefore wasn’t able to work as much on the technical/perfection of the routines, but that’s because she was struggling with focus and what I supppse was also a mental block or something with the vault. She has progressed tons in the last five months and went from not having barely any level three skills this time last year, to having most of not all of the level four skills. So that would give her the next five or six months to really work on technique and perfecting it all, whereas last year that wasn’t the case. I cannot get a straight answer for why the won’t allow her to train with her current level for summer other than they don’t want to let her train with them then hold her back at the end of the summer. She already knows all the level 3 routines so I feel like she will spend the summer on the sidelines while they teach all the new level girls the routines. They told her they would continue working on her level four skills, but how?
Your gym learns routines before summer is over? That is NOT a setup that I’d want for my daughter. Learning them just in time for the first meet already makes them boring by states. I can’t image learning them earlier than that.

Based on your reply, I think I would be checking out other gyms because they are not even giving her the chance to get the skills for 4 by having her train with the new 3s. If they can't give you a straight, honest and actual answer as to why it would benefit her to stay a 3, I would leave. If it really is because she is nervous or afraid, wouldn't they tell you that is the reason?
It seems like the majority of gyms have the girls train with the group that they competed with and then switch when they made the move up decisions at the end of the summer. Just seems odd that they wouldn't do that.
Good luck! Hope it all works out for her.

Based on your reply, I think I would be checking out other gyms because they are not even giving her the chance to get the skills for 4 by having her train with the new 3s. If they can't give you a straight, honest and actual answer as to why it would benefit her to stay a 3, I would leave. If it really is because she is nervous or afraid, wouldn't they tell you that is the reason?
It seems like the majority of gyms have the girls train with the group that they competed with and then switch when they made the move up decisions at the end of the summer. Just seems odd that they wouldn't do that.
Good luck! Hope it all works out for her.
Thanks, since this is the only gym we have ever been at and I don’t have prior experience with competitive gymnastics, I don’t have a feel for the norm.

Your gym learns routines before summer is over? That is NOT a setup that I’d want for my daughter. Learning them just in time for the first meet already makes them boring by states. I can’t image learning them earlier than that.
I don't think it is a boring setup if done correctly.
Some routines, like L4 especially, take a while. In August or so they will start to learn some parts some days, and then by October they can usually put together a full routine, and they get better and better in time for meets in December. Some kids have never learned a floor routine before or just take a long time to get choreography in their brain. It doesn't mean we do routines every day in summer, it is just part of the things they are working on. Still lots of up training and cross tumbling and fun.

As for the OP, as others have said, we split the girls into "training groups" for the summer. You may be in the L3 training group but still move up to Level 4 in the fall. Is that what's going on?

Very leary that the gym has made a decision before the time most up training happens. The summer. Our gym makes no comment on level decisions until at least the middle of August, which is typically when early fall meets are starting to be scheduled and require payment. That is also when they start putting routines together and then a mock meet in September to prep for first official meet in October.

I would be planning on moving on. Now is a good time.

I don't think it is a boring setup if done correctly.
Some routines, like L4 especially, take a while. In August or so they will start to learn some parts some days, and then by October they can usually put together a full routine, and they get better and better in time for meets in December. Some kids have never learned a floor routine before or just take a long time to get choreography in their brain. It doesn't mean we do routines every day in summer, it is just part of the things they are working on. Still lots of up training and cross tumbling and fun.

As for the OP, as others have said, we split the girls into "training groups" for the summer. You may be in the L3 training group but still move up to Level 4 in the fall. Is that what's going on?
They told us there would be a slim possibility she could end up moving up to level 4 in the fall, but they didn’t seem very optimistic or say anything to him that may happen. The training group she is in with the other girl who is being repeated consists of all level 2 team who will be level 3 next season. Other than her and this other girl, the rest of her current level 3 team is training level 4 all summer. But the major catch is they want a contract signed now (and part of the season fees) even though it states “final placement will be determined at end of summer”. However from other moms I have talked to, 98.8% of the time if they are held back for summer they won’t move up.

I think you have enough information to make a decision. It’s up to you and your child at this point. The gym has been pretty clear with the exception of coming out and saying that it’s not going to happen. You’ve been told by a bunch of us that this is unusual.

Stay there and repeat.
Stay there and move up.
Look around for something better but don’t move.
Look around for something better and move.

As long as you handle it correctly, e.g. keeping it private, there’s zero downside to checking out other gyms and even having your daughter evaluated for placement on their team. If every gym says “compete 3 next season” then you know where you stand. If not, you need to figure out if moving for promotion is worth it — it was for my family and I’m still very comfortable with the choice.

If your daughter wants to move and there is a viable alternative willing to place her at L4, then you should seek that out. Just know that you will likely burn bridges and so you need to be sure of your decision before you start the process and also have solid confirmation that they will place her in L4. Otherwise you have done it for nothing.

If you have been happy with the gym and your dd is happy with her coaches I would be apt to stay. Seems that they feel she needs more foundational work and perhaps more confidence before moving up.

At my gym if you competed level 3 you would either be placed with the level 4 group (new level 4’s) or in the 3/4 group at the beginning of the summer. 3/4’s are those that might or might not move up to 4. Those kids would include girls who might need to repeat and also those new to team that might skip 3 and go straight to 4. The 3/4’s do train a lot with the (brand new) level 3’s but are also working on level 4 skills. Final decisions are made at the end of summer. Clear as mud? If it were me I would want to look for a gym that was a good fit but also would place her on level 4. IMO it would be better to repeat 4 later if necessary. If no gym will place her in 4, then there’s your answer that she needs to do 3 again. It’s hard to say definitively without seeing your daughter and knowing which skills are missing, though.

I think that you should just trust the coaches. they have their reasons. It will absolutely NOT prevent her from reaching higher levels. I came from preteam into Level 3 aged 11, turning 12 that year. And I also repeated Level 3. And then I worked my butt off and entered L10/International program aged 16. And I'm still here, successful as ever. The coaches know what they're doing. Don't worry. You mentioned her beam confidence could be better, and that your gym was safe. The coaches know best.

Is xcel an option at your gym? That can be a great alternative for girls (especially older for their level) who need more time on skills or confidence without being stuck competiting the same compulsory routines. They're is also more individualization when it comes to skills.

I think that you should just trust the coaches. they have their reasons. It will absolutely NOT prevent her from reaching higher levels. I came from preteam into Level 3 aged 11, turning 12 that year. And I also repeated Level 3. And then I worked my butt off and entered L10/International program aged 16. And I'm still here, successful as ever. The coaches know what they're doing. Don't worry. You mentioned her beam confidence could be better, and that your gym was safe. The coaches know best.
No, it’s a smaller gym. They don’t have an xcel program.

I feel like the coaches have a reason(s) and they've tried telling you politely, but if you keep pushing you might not like what you hear. She still has a team spot, she still loves gymnastics...I would take it unless you are 100% willing to leave the gym.

I don't know anything about your daugther and her skills, but we have one teammate who should not have been moved up and was (tallest/oldest on the former team and her parents really begged, are paying for privates, etc but she was not one of the strongest on the former team). Our gym is letting her practice with the next level for the summer and she's out of her league. I can't imagine that it's good for her self-esteem. Maybe that's the strategy - to make it clear she needs to repeat -- but I wouldn't want that for my kid. Listen to your coaches.

I would ask the coaches what the longer term plan is for her. It seems like they know what they are doing so perhaps the long term plan makes a lot of sense. Repeat 3 to get a good base, have a solid year at 4, skip 5 and go 7? She may end up in the same place in 3 years with a stronger base than if she pushed to 4. This sport is a marathon so I would focus on that rather than the next mile. It also gives your daughter a chance to communicate her goals and make sure they align with the plan.

Lots of good advice but only you and your daughter can really know what is best for her. We don't truly know your situation, gym, coaches etc. What is a good fit for one isn't necessarily good for another.
If your daughter has her heart set on moving up a level and isn't worried about winning medals and being on the podium then it won't hurt to check out another gym (quietly)
Otherwise if your gym is long term successful and has happy healthy gymnasts then stay put.
The only sticking point for me would be the very early signing of a long contract. We don't have that in the UK though so I find it very strange anyway.
Good luck to your daughter whichever level she trains in next.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back