Parents An extra class or privates?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is asking for more time in the gym.
She currently does 4 hours 2x/week. She wants one more class.

She doesn’t want to focus on one skill that I would ask for privates, but multiple things on each event.

Have you always stuck to the class times or asked for an additional class or just asked for privates. If it just one skill I could see asking for privates (maybe closer towards end of summer) but she just wants an extra day in the gym.

I don’t want her to get burned out either.

While I don’t see the harm, I didn’t know if it was frowned upon either.
Experience? Thoughts?

Private’s are expensive. A gym coupe make a lot more money by having the coach work with multiple kids, so private lessons have to cost enough to be financially viable for the gym.

Pretty standard here is $100 per hour for private lessons.

Private’s are expensive. A gym coupe make a lot more money by having the coach work with multiple kids, so private lessons have to cost enough to be financially viable for the gym.

Pretty standard here is $100 per hour for private lessons.
That definitely was my other thoughts too. For what she wants it sounds like another class would (if allowed) would be the logical reason to to go financially and for her goals too.
I assume it would be up to the gyms discretion. ‍♀️

That definitely was my other thoughts too. For what she wants it sounds like another class would (if allowed) would be the logical reason to to go financially and for her goals too.
I assume it would be up to the gyms discretion. ‍♀️
How old is your daughter? What level is she training? Based on the hours I assume it is probably something like 3/4/Bronze/Silver.

If she is still pretty young and new to team gym (8 or younger) - I would recommend not doing a extra day. Keep her wanting more — those extra hours will come. I think keeping the hours low at a young age really helps with burn out. Find something else — dance, ballet, swimming, soccer, etc.

If she is a older 11+, she better understands the implications of adding that extra practice (time, more soreness, etc). Then you should probably ask her coaches what they recommend to get that extra time. Privates are really rare at my DDs gym, but there also aren’t really level appropriate “extra” classes that can be easily added. So I don’t know what they would recommend in your situation. Every gym is different, which is why I think it is best to just ask.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back