WAG $500+ competition leo!?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3gymnastmom

Proud Parent
My daughter is entering into her 2nd competitive year, Xcel Silver. Fortunately for her first year we were able to get her competition leo and warmups 2nd hand. This year our gym is doing new competition leos, GK brand and we’ve been told that the $250 deposit should “hopefully cover half the cost”. $500+ for a leotard worn 6-7 times!? Is that normal? I suspect the gym uses leos, warmups and many other “required” apparel as a revenue generator. For example this summer we were required to purchase 2 summer training leos, GK of course, no price was given, just “send in your size and we’ll charge your card when they come in“. I pushed back and didn’t send in my daughter’s size when my two emails asking for the total cost were ignored.

We are in an area where there are several other gyms with Xcel programs and I’ve considered looking into another gym, but not sure if it’ll be the same story. This gym is closest to our home and my other two kids are on the boys team, so bringing her to another gym would be inconvenient and would probably make her sad b/c she’s made friends at this gym. What has been your experience with competition leo costs? And does your gym require other purchases like t-shirts, summer leos, etc? And is using required apparel as a revenue generator typical?…is that ethical? Besides a lesser time commitment, isn’t Xcel supposed to be more reasonably priced compared to JO?

Thanks for weighing in. My daughter really likes gymnastics, but I’m starting to feel taken advantage of.

The leotards for my daughters xcel team varied from $220-$275. The upper level JO optionals have a leotard that is approximately $450. The lower level compulsory levels have leotards comparable to the xcel leotard costs with the exception of level 2. I don’t see much of a price difference in competition apparel between xcel and JO at her gym with the exception of optionals and level 2. Xcel and JO both have the same warmups.

My daughter doesn’t have to purchase training leotards or t-shirts. The gym is up front with all costs prior to the start of the season. Like you, I would not agree to a training leotard where the gym wouldn’t share the cost with me ahead of time.

The leotards for my daughters xcel team varied from $220-$275. The upper level JO optionals have a leotard that is approximately $450. The lower level compulsory levels have leotards comparable to the xcel leotard costs with the exception of level 2. I don’t see much of a price difference in competition apparel between xcel and JO at her gym with the exception of optionals and level 2. Xcel and JO both have the same warmups.

My daughter doesn’t have to purchase training leotards or t-shirts. The gym is up front with all costs prior to the start of the season. Like you, I would not agree to a training leotard where the gym wouldn’t share the cost with me ahead of time.
Thank you for sharing! At our gym both JO and Xcel have the same comp leo, regardless of level. I’m curious to see what other members share.

Our team's xcel leo was $325 last year. Optionals was $450. Our gym is upfront about costs. $500 seems over the top.
Thank you for sharing. Interesting that there’s a difference in leos for optionals (Dad1234 posted the same). At our gym, all levels have the same leo. And for the boys, compulsories and optionals all have the same 3 piece uniform.

That is quite over the top. $500 for one leotard?

Plus, only wearing it 6 or 7 times. Gymnastics clubs around just have 1 competition leotard. And perhaps change it every 10 years, so you only need to purchase a new one if you outgrow it or wear it out, and it can be passed on or sold second hand.

Our club has the same one year in, year out. Not sure what a brand new leo costs, I suspect around $200 or so. There is a lively trade in 2nd hand ones though and the only reason new ones are bought is if you are late joining the team and they have run out of second hand ones. For warm-up they have a jacket (same story, everyone has second hand) plus black leggings and socks from whichever shop you like. I think I spend a grand total of $75

We paid about $400 for DD's GK leo, warm ups, and backpack when she started competing 3 years ago. The gym is getting new leos this year and we don't know the cost yet, but they keep leos 2-3 years. Costs are shared up front and can made in installments. The gym requires one workout leo (w/gym name on it) to be worn at one practice per week. Parents regularly trade sizes for those, though.

I understand leos can be expensive but $500 is a lot. I'd also be suspicious of the requirements for other apparel, especially if it's charged without sharing the cost up front!

Our gym charges a yearly assessment fee that covers ompetition leo, warm ups, meet fees, coach fees (for meets), etc. It's nice because we know exactly what we'll pay between that and monthly tuition. The only "extras" are travel costs to meets and sometimes clinics that are not required.

That is quite over the top. $500 for one leotard?

Plus, only wearing it 6 or 7 times. Gymnastics clubs around just have 1 competition leotard. And perhaps change it every 10 years, so you only need to purchase a new one if you outgrow it or wear it out, and it can be passed on or sold second hand.
Thank you for your reply. So many other parents don’t question this at all and just continue to pay whatever fees the gym says are required.

Our gym charges a yearly assessment fee that covers ompetition leo, warm ups, meet fees, coach fees (for meets), etc. It's nice because we know exactly what we'll pay between that and monthly tuition. The only "extras" are travel costs to meets and sometimes clinics that are not required.
Gosh that sounds so reasonable and logical. Thank you for your reply.

My DDs optional team leo at the gym she was at the longest and known for their custom leos , often designed first for their elites were $400+. The optionals had these leos for 2 years and I have to say, these were my favorite and very rarely did a gymnast give these up for resale, too gorgeous. Compulsory and xcel had different and less expensive leos. Around $250. This did not include warmups, optional warmups were also about $400, again custom. Our girls were the best dressed in the gym and I liked that, sounds snotty, but if I’m paying into the 100s I want the cutest leo.

She was at other gyms and the leos were about $250-300 but definitely a lot less sparkle. I missed the fancier leo. Every gum my dd was at had different leos for compulsory, excel and optionals.

$500 for an excel silver leo seems crazy. That being said, would you feel the same way if that cost was rolled into your tuition and the gym made money that way? It could be that you would end up paying the same total amount in the end, anyway. With two other kids on the boys team, it may not even make financial sense in the end to switch gyms, in addition to the headache of it all. Some gyms make parents do a lot of meet volunteering and donating of items to sell at concessions. What I’m saying is, if your kids are happy and healthy, you may find this flaw is something you can live with. I do think you should at least be told all costs up front, though.

It is unlikely that the gym is making any/much money from the required leos and apparel. $500 is excessive for a lower level team even is it does include the warmups. However, if the lower and upper levels all use the same leos (which is not advisable due to the cost for the lower level families) then the cost is understandable as the upper levels tend to have more intricate designs and bling. How is your xcel used? do they transition from xcel to JO optionals or are they separate tracks? If separate tracks, then yes I would a irritated as it should be less expensive/less intense.

My DDs optional team leo at the gym she was at the longest and known for their custom leos , often designed first for their elites were $400+. The optionals had these leos for 2 years and I have to say, these were my favorite and very rarely did a gymnast give these up for resale, too gorgeous. Compulsory and xcel had different and less expensive leos. Around $250. This did not include warmups, optional warmups were also about $400, again custom. Our girls were the best dressed in the gym and I liked that, sounds snotty, but if I’m paying into the 100s I want the cutest leo.

She was at other gyms and the leos were about $250-300 but definitely a lot less sparkle. I missed the fancier leo. Every gum my dd was at had different leos for compulsory, excel and optionals.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can understand fancier, more expensive leos for optionals…at that point you know you are committed to the sport. With my daughter just entering her 2nd year, who knows how long she’ll want to do this.

$500 for an excel silver leo seems crazy. That being said, would you feel the same way if that cost was rolled into your tuition and the gym made money that way? It could be that you would end up paying the same total amount in the end, anyway. With two other kids on the boys team, it may not even make financial sense in the end to switch gyms, in addition to the headache of it all. Some gyms make parents do a lot of meet volunteering and donating of items to sell at concessions. What I’m saying is, if your kids are happy and healthy, you may find this flaw is something you can live with. I do think you should at least be told all costs up front, though.
Yup, it might make more sense to suck it up and just go with it. 90% of my experience is in MAG and it’s run so differently from girls. All of these perspectives are really helpful. Thank you for sharing yours.

Yup, it might make more sense to suck it up and just go with it. 90% of my experience is in MAG and it’s run so differently from girls. All of these perspectives are really helpful. Thank you for sharing yours.

This is very true. MAG and WAG are sooo different. I hope you get some clarity!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back