WAG Custom/Personalized Gymnastics Grips? (Intent Grips)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone ever heard of this brand of gymnastics grips?

intentgymnastics.com

The personalization seems pretty neat, but does anyone have experience with how they work? My daughter has had grips for a while now and I always wondered how all her teammates (who have a range of leotard sizes) basically wear the same size grips. Seems functional to have a custom fit gymnastics grip.

I have not but I would be interested to know if they are really making these to order or if they have stock sizes that they send according to the measurements sent. I do like the idea of the finger holes made to order. They always were too small for my dd's fingers - then again, she always wore grips that were too small for her hands.

In general, I don't think they are really needed. Hand growth is much smaller than body growth and most gymnasts will only change sizes once or twice during their career. Also, Most girls have no problem with general sizing. They have more trouble finding the right type of grip. They are significantly more expensive than other name brands with long positive history. If they are truly made to order, then they should have a measurement for hand width because that is the biggest complaint, especially for smaller gymnasts

I am not familiar with that company but my daughter gets her grips from a company/person that makes I believe semi-custom grips working from a tracing of the gymnast's hands. She goes through grips pretty frequently and now we often just re-order the same size, but she's happy with these grips (has been using them for years) and I find the process kind of interesting. Here's the website: https://tiansgrips.wixsite.com/official

I am not familiar with that company but my daughter gets her grips from a company/person that makes I believe semi-custom grips working from a tracing of the gymnast's hands. She goes through grips pretty frequently and now we often just re-order the same size, but she's happy with these grips (has been using them for years) and I find the process kind of interesting. Here's the website: https://tiansgrips.wixsite.com/official
are those grommet connections instead of stitching? Never seen something like this before.

I have not but I would be interested to know if they are really making these to order or if they have stock sizes that they send according to the measurements sent. I do like the idea of the finger holes made to order. They always were too small for my dd's fingers - then again, she always wore grips that were too small for her hands.

In general, I don't think they are really needed. Hand growth is much smaller than body growth and most gymnasts will only change sizes once or twice during their career. Also, Most girls have no problem with general sizing. They have more trouble finding the right type of grip. They are significantly more expensive than other name brands with long positive history. If they are truly made to order, then they should have a measurement for hand width because that is the biggest complaint, especially for smaller gymnasts
Just for curiosity, I sent them an email with your questions last night. This morning I got the following response.

1.) Our grips are absolutely made to order. It is only after hand data has been submitted, reviewed, and an invoice filled that we begin any fabrication. Each pair of grips is individually designed from scratch. Our grips are like snow flakes, no two pairs are the same!

2.) The width of the grip scales with the hand dimensions of the gymnast. Small athletes get narrow palm pieces, and larger/more advanced gymnasts get wider palms. That being said, if you wanted a specific width we can accommodate that as well! We have an open ended section in our order form where you can tell us what you would like in more detail.

Again, thank you for your interest and happy to answer any more questions that come up!

I coach mag and wag and I’m a bit neurotic about grips , our optionals get new grips every 6 months to prevent tearing and over stretching. I met the owner of intent at dp nationals and I got a few samples to test. We have been slowly transitioning all of our girls and boys teams to intent grips. The customization is amazing because as people not everyone has the same size and shape of hands , I’ve seen a huge different man in my smaller gymnasts with these grips ! The brand is awesome, great customer service and high quality ! We currently have about 20 kids using these grips and they all love them, they used to use riesport hyper protect prior !

They look like nice grips...

Width is not the primary issue I have as a coach. All of our gymnasts easily fit into either narrow style grips (US Glove Hot Shots)... or straight style (US Glove RKO).

The issue that I have is thickness of leather. I have received grips that are much too thick before. On tiny gymnasts... you can't have thick leather... just doesn't work.

Does Intent have an option for this like ReichelSport?

They look like nice grips...

Width is not the primary issue I have as a coach. All of our gymnasts easily fit into either narrow style grips (US Glove Hot Shots)... or straight style (US Glove RKO).

The issue that I have is thickness of leather. I have received grips that are much too thick before. On tiny gymnasts... you can't have thick leather... just doesn't work.

Does Intent have an option for this like ReichelSport?

Thickness of the leather was more similar to riechelsport , or regular riesport not the hyper protect !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back