Coaches Bar Settings Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 25978

Hi friends,

I am trying to figure out the bar settings for the new season. The directions confuse me admittedly and the bar set I have to work with is old. For my XCel gold and silver athletes, can I put the bars however I want? I’d love some semi-detailed instructions, if possible. I appreciate the guidance. I am most confused about the spread of the bars.

Basically yes... any setting. If you want to post a picture of your settings (bars from the side) we could give some better advice.

Here are the rules from the equipment specs from the following link...

UNEVEN BARS – APPLICABLE TO BOTH DEVELOPMENT AND XCEL PROGRAMS

A. Based on the best interest of the gymnast’s safety, it is permissible to adjust the High Bar and/or Low Bar to a height which exceeds (or is lower than) the FIG specifications. Regardless of the measurement, the rails MUST be adjusted only to a position that locks-in with a dual locking mechanism that meets the manufacturer’s recommended safety parameters.

B. The distance (spread) between the Bars may be set to the preference of the athlete, provided that after such adjustment, the Bars remain within the allowances identified by the manufacturer of the apparatus.

C. For equipment that has a slider mechanism on both Bars, it is strongly recommended that the low bar slider remain in the highest position, and that adjustments are made only with the high bar slider. This will expedite changing of bar sets during competition.

Thank you! I was confused because I’d see that but then I’d see people talking about required distance and such. So as long as my athletes are comfortable and the heights are ratio’s correctly (like the settings on the high and low bar match), we’re okay?

Basically yes... any setting. If you want to post a picture of your settings (bars from the side) we could give some better advice.

Here are the rules from the equipment specs from the following link...

Thank you! I was confused because I’d see that but then I’d see people talking about required distance and such. So as long as my athletes are comfortable and the heights are ratio’s correctly (like the settings on the high and low bar match), we’re okay?
9643F7EF-97A9-4F9E-B16D-BD0F701AECB5.jpeg

So, I’m not saying this is the setting I’m using at all (it’s way too close for my comfort and I was just playing with it here) but it’s a pic of the bar. I’d like it shorter in height and further apart, if possible.

And they can have a springboard to do a pullover if necessary as long as it doesn’t sit on the 8 inch mat right?

Thanks again!

Reactions: JBS
I’d like it shorter in height and further apart, if possible.

Sure... that set of bars could be further and lower and still be a perfectly legal setting.

And they can have a springboard to do a pullover if necessary as long as it doesn’t sit on the 8 inch mat right?

I'm honestly not sure about this... you may be able to use a foam mount board or panel mat on top of the 8". Does anyone else know about this?

Yes, as a gymnast, my coach has always said that the mat can't go on the 8 incher. Not sure if it's a rule or a gym preference though. At meets I've always seen the 8 incher pushed back for landing rather than used for mounting. IMO, it makes the routine look sloppy if you have a huge mat stack to get on the bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back