Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Here it is…

Woodward Cancels Gymnastics Announcement

BF6B17C8-A226-477A-A1C9-D47212AD8857.jpeg
00DC72C2-99EF-4FAB-9DB0-B561192297C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I have heard that shutting down the gymnastics portion has been in the works for a while. Can't say whether the allegations didn't speed up the plan though

I think it was something that was bound to happened ever since Powdr purchased Woodward 10 years ago or so...

I also know in years that I was there... they always struggled to staff the gymnastics side of things.

And cheerleading too... here is the thread over at Fierce Board...

IGC is going to get a lot more business.
Was IGC not full all the time? Woodward always seemed fairly full when I used to go. Seems like there might be a lack of camps now.

Was IGC not full all the time? Woodward always seemed fairly full when I used to go. Seems like there might be a lack of camps now.
When I looked into sending my daughter last summer it was spotty full, but there was still a lot of availability even at the last minute (which was when I looked).

When I looked into sending my daughter last summer it was spotty full, but there was still a lot of availability even at the last minute (which was when I looked).
I think they were still dealing with the fallout from Covid. Parents still weary of sending their kids away for a week or 2.

Wonder why they would have invested so much in having Aly join them and supposedly revamping everything?
This was my thought too. You spent time and money to bring her in and revamp the program only to shut it down. It makes it seem like there is more to the story.

Wonder why they would have invested so much in having Aly join them and supposedly revamping everything?

They had staffing issues when I was there... but overall... it was a great camp when we went.

the housing is pretty bad and there isn't much close to do/go to on your day off. Not bad if you're only there a few weeks but hard to get staff to commit to all of the weeks.

Was it a less appealing option for coaches than Flipfest/ College camps?

I'm not really sure... my Wife and I were treated like royalty at Woodward Pennsylvania. They would put us up in the "Lodge" at the top of the hill. Jim took care of the lodge... he was great.

We traded coaching for our kids tuition... so we were very happy.

The one thing I would say is the pay was terrible if you were actually getting paid... our other staff was never happy with the pay.

The one thing I would say is the pay was terrible if you were actually getting paid... our other staff was never happy with the pay.
can't speak to the experienced club gym coaches but for the college age coaches, pay was not too bad considering you are getting housing and food. That was before the pandemic. Now given you can start out at a walmart for more than $15/hr, no they wouldn't be able to compete

pay was not too bad considering you are getting housing and food

Yep... that's what they tried to tell one of our staff that didn't even go to coach. This coach ended up coaching as they were "short staffed"... and they really needed "more coaches" for the week. Lots of fun... but this coach got $99 for the whole week. This was 2015 or 2016.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back