Parents Help with Sylvia P Sizing, Please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our team is getting Sylvia P Leos this year for the first time. Our team ordered some sizers and they received them to size out our girls but they also sent the size measurements for parents to size at home. My daughter was concerned that the sizers were stretched out and not as accurate as how a new comp Leo would feel. The lady at the gym said that she felt that the size 8 leo fit her the best and my daughter did tell me that the size 10 was not tight around her chest area. When I measure her at home she fully fits into a Size 12 Sylvia P Leo with the measurements. Do I go with what the gym thinks with a sizer that may be stretched out, or do I go with the actual measurements with my tape measure and the measurements on the website????
For instance, her Torso is 55.5 inches and the Size 12 is 55.1. The Size 8 is 47.2 and I worry that would be really small/tight on her.
Her Hip measurement is 32 inches and the Size 12 is 31.5. The Size 8 is 26.8.
Her Waist measurement is 28 inches and the Size 12 is 26.8 and the size 8 is 23.6.
I emailed to say we would like a size 12 but the gym lady says she really needs a size 8. My daughter is 13 years old, so I know her body is going to continue to grow in areas and she wants to have a good fit!
Thank you all so much if you have read this far. Any help with the fit is totally appreciated! Also, they will be a 3/4 sleeve, I just confirmed.
Thanks!!!

I'd probably go with the 10 and split the difference. Our comp leos are Sylvia P and I went with what worked with the sizer and it's a little big for my daughter- I do think the sizers were a bit stretched out. This is our second year with them and DD is done growing so she's just kind of stuck with a leo that is a little roomy for another year. If we get Sylvia P's again I'll go down a size.

I would insist on a ten at least, possibly a size twelve. You don’t want to get the size 8 and hav3 it be way to tight.

They can be odd, we had a short stocky 16 year old who normally wears an AXS, order that size for her State Rep Leo, it was unwearable, way too big, with arms that were ridiculously long. She ended up wearing a lean 11 year club mate’s size 10 as they competed on different days and were in different levels.

Yes..SP Sizes are quite odd. DD wears AS in Plum, Destira, Spektrum, and GK but wears SP Size 12. If the team plans on keeping these leos for 2-3 years go with the size 12, but if they only plan to use them for this year go with the size 10. What size does she wear in other brands?

I did our sizing this year for Sylvia P and used both measurements and the actual sizers (but our comp leos haven't come yet). I found that the sizers tended to put them into a smaller size than what was measured (especially for the larger sizes). We did the sizers about month ago, I didn't feel they were overly stretched, but they do go through a number of teams. I have 15 year olds in the CH12 - I think it fits more like an adult XS. The Adult S was pretty big, more like and Adult M. Our 13 year olds range in CH10-12ish. I found the chest and torso were the most important measurements. And I'm crossing my fingers that all the sizing works out!!!

I would insist on a ten at least, possibly a size twelve. You don’t want to get the size 8 and hav3 it be way to tight.
I agree. I found a friend that had a Sylvia P Practice leo and she tried it on. The 10 and 12 fit. I felt that she had better coverage in the chest with the 12 so we went with a Size 12 short torso. The gym isn't happy with me, but I think they are going to have a lot of unhappy gymnasts with very tight leo's

Yes..SP Sizes are quite odd. DD wears AS in Plum, Destira, Spektrum, and GK but wears SP Size 12. If the team plans on keeping these leos for 2-3 years go with the size 12, but if they only plan to use them for this year go with the size 10. What size does she wear in other brands?
At nationals she bought Adult XS in her GK leotard. The gym ended up getting defensive and gave me until 5pm today. Thankfully, I found a friend that had a 8, 10, and 12 Sylvia P leo that she could try on. The 10 and 12 fit well so we decided on the 12 short torso. The gym had let me know they will be no help when it arrives baggy. I hope that the practice leo that she tried on will fit similar to the comp leo and we will be fine!

I did our sizing this year for Sylvia P and used both measurements and the actual sizers (but our comp leos haven't come yet). I found that the sizers tended to put them into a smaller size than what was measured (especially for the larger sizes). We did the sizers about month ago, I didn't feel they were overly stretched, but they do go through a number of teams. I have 15 year olds in the CH12 - I think it fits more like an adult XS. The Adult S was pretty big, more like and Adult M. Our 13 year olds range in CH10-12ish. I found the chest and torso were the most important measurements. And I'm crossing my fingers that all the sizing works out!!!
After reading this, I checked her chest area on the size 10 and 12 and we went with the 12. I didn't feel like she had great coverage in the chest area with a 10. We also went with the short torso which is slightly smaller that what she measures in the torso measurement. Thank you for all of your help!

Thank you all for your help!! I was able to order a leo to be shipped to me the next day but then I also found a sweet friend that had an 8, 10, and 12 for my daughter to try on. As long as the practice leotards fit similarly to the comp leo's we should be ok! We decided to go with a Size 12 Short torso. She tried on a regular 12 and it could be a tad shorter.

I'm showing a picture of the red long-sleeve comp leo from last season that is too small on my daughter with the Sylvia P Size 8 laying on top of it. The size 8 is what the gym swore would fit her for the next 1-2 years. They are also really upset with me that I didn't trust their expertise.... ugh. I just need a good-fitting leo cause I don't have time for all of this! haha!!

Attachments

• 311903905_1945707138957018_8808777860828729727_n.jpg
    311903905_1945707138957018_8808777860828729727_n.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 97

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back