Parents Unpopular Opinions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Elite is not the end all, be all.

More hours isn't always beneficial.

The Olympic age should be raised to 18.
Completely agree with you on raising the Olympic age to 18. The rush to get young girls to level 10 and then elite to me is insane not only from a physical standpoint but also for the potential emotional aspects. Most of the men's Olympic team are in college or even out of college. I don't see why the women's team could not be the same. I get that men's gymnastics is so much more strength based and it takes boys longer to get to that point, but I have not heard of as many abuses on the men's side. I am sure things occur and maybe we just don't know about issues on the men's side, but I would like to think that a 21 year old gymnast would not be as easily groomed or abused as a 12 year old.

Completely agree with you on raising the Olympic age to 18. The rush to get young girls to level 10 and then elite to me is insane not only from a physical standpoint but also for the potential emotional aspects. Most of the men's Olympic team are in college or even out of college. I don't see why the women's team could not be the same. I get that men's gymnastics is so much more strength based and it takes boys longer to get to that point, but I have not heard of as many abuses on the men's side. I am sure things occur and maybe we just don't know about issues on the men's side, but I would like to think that a 21 year old gymnast would not be as easily groomed or abused as a 12 year old.
I could see the twisted logic in trying to send 15 and 16 year old girls to the Olympics when everyone thought that you needed to look 10 to compete at a high level. Things are totally different now though. Simon Biles was short but her, Aly Raisman, and a lot of the recent big names were JACKED women. Not little girls. All of them could have competed well with an 18+ requirement.

Yeah.... I gotta admit the drama can be entertaining
You're a coach so I bet you have all the good stories too. I have so wanted to take our coaches out for a beverage and get the low down on some of the crazy drama we only see a little bit of in the waiting room. I know there have been some bizzaro tales of CGMs, some weird custody issues, a few arguments over car accidents in the parking lot and more.

Regarding the age matter I cannot recall the name of the Russian skater who tested positive for drugs during the games and all the drama which surrounded her - especially at such a young age (not to mention the pressure from “her team”). I really do enjoy the Olympics and the athletes should be allowed to compete fairly and have a great experience without the drama.

I do think certain Olympic sports should have a minimum age but I also think the programs need strict enforcement of sanctions for cheating, the age games some countries play by forging documents, dopping, and abuse.

If you're new to the site or haven't added to this one yet... be sure to leave your opinion!

Real Housewives Of Orange County Discussion GIF

My unpopular opinion: ketchup is gross. And also, competitive coaches should be required to have regular training in early childhood education. I think gyms and gymnasts (and coaches) would be much better off if coaches were thought of as teachers who teach gymnastics rather than coaches who happen to coach small children. Especially those who aren’t teachers and don’t have kids of their own, they could benefit SO MUCH from understanding how children’s brains function (especially as to fear, insecurity, and a desire to please adults) and how to motivate them in a healthy and positive way.

You want to come on here just to talk about me on a soap box and what did you just do to bring up stuff we was done talking about. Nice one though
It’s called “Unpopular Opinions,” and that’s what I posted. You’re the one beating a dead horse and scolding everyone.

Remember... this is a thread of opinions.

Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

It’s called “Unpopular Opinions,” and that’s what I posted. You’re the one beating a dead horse and scolding everyone.
I was really trying to let this go but the pettiness in me just has to respond. So sir you say I’m beating a dead horse. Yet you respond to something that has been over and done with for 3 weeks. So while you have the floor what else would you like to say to me? Don’t wait another 3 weeks go by, speak your peace

@Ty’s Dad @3rd_time_around Can you all just stop? I can name someone that was on the elite path and did their elite routines in JO / DP... I can also name someone that had alternate routines and they were very good at them... good enough to win meet after meet in the JO / DP world. Not sure what you are all arguing about.

@Ty’s Dad @3rd_time_around Can you all just stop? I can name someone that was on the elite path and did their elite routines in JO / DP... I can also name someone that had alternate routines and they were very good at them... good enough to win meet after meet in the JO / DP world. Not sure what you are all arguing about.
You tell me to stop when it’s been over for 3 weeks? Yeah ok

He sent that at 10am and you let it slide. But when I respond oh now it’s a problem

He sent that at 10am and you let it slide. But when I respond oh now it’s a problem

Sorry... I wasn't actually reading what either of you said... it was all a waste of my time.

Also... I believe I came after at post #129 and lightly said something...

Maybe you should try not to hammer on one of the people on the site that agrees with a lot of what you say??? I coached and still coach my daughter... 7th year level 10... TOPs A Team... Hopes (did it all wrong as a coach)... DIC camps to the Ranch over and over... transferred schools to the school that would work with us... doing twice a days and cranking 30 hours per week... flying all over the country to National Qualifiers (and then getting there and not even being able to compete due to severs).

Why?

She wanted too... and so did I! It has been the ultimate father / daughter journey.

Last edited:
Another unpopular opinion is that most of you are all wrong. Everyone has an opinion, and that's great and we are all entitled to one, yet I hate that in spite of this fact, so many have a holier than thou approach on their opinion. Meaning they can never concede that perhaps an alternate idea exists and perhaps its not bad, its just different. Whenever presented with an opinion that conflicts with theirs, the response is always judgemental, "Well, I would never because it is too much for children, etc, etc" Instead of just acknowledging "Oh that's a different thought than I had, I dont agree but thanks for sharing". @Ty’s Dad has been pretty consistent, yet many feel the need that they have to get the final word in to prove their opinion is better. The cycle goes on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back