Parents confused myself.. (US Elite Athlete Geography)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cowfish36888

Proud Parent
Hi I am new and tried to learn more about compeition. I tried to research about America Hopes or Classis or Cups compeition and noticed most most athltes from West or South West... I do not see any one from East?? How did they choice athltes?? I am confused myself... if anyone know about gymnastics rules? Thanks...

You'd have to link the competitions so we can see what you are referencing... there are athletes from plenty of other places.

Different regions are... different. My daughter competed at a Region 1 meet and it was very different than a Region 6 meet. The teams were huge in comparison.

American, US Classic, winter cup are for elites and pre elites
And the gyms that produce a lot of those types of gymnasts tend to be in the SE (if you include Texas) and Western parts of the USA, for some reason that I don't fully understand.

The gymnast has to qualify to compete in those meets. Yes the majority it’s in Texas, but the girls are from all over

And the gyms that produce a lot of those types of gymnasts tend to be in the SE (if you include Texas) and Western parts of the USA, for some reason that I don't fully understand.
All gymnast have to get a compulsory and optional score to compete. You can be from any gym in the US, just have your coach sign up to see if your daughter can get the scores to move on. Once they qualify on both (compulsory and optional) they will be considered Hopes, Jr Elite or Sr. Elite.

All gymnast have to get a compulsory and optional score to compete. You can be from any gym in the US, just have your coach sign up to see if your daughter can get the scores to move on. Once they qualify on both (compulsory and optional) they will be considered Hopes, Jr Elite or Sr. Elite.
You seem quite knowledgeable about this. Do you know the difference between HOPES, Jr Pre-Elite, and Jr Elite here:

It looks to me like maybe you need to do the same things (qualify in compulsory and optional) but the required scores are different. Is that correct?

I understand all of your post because I asked my DD gymnastics coach about it. By my understanding, the gymnastics center did not have their althes enter "the Champion of state compeition". That is why I tried to figure out which gymnastics I should put my DD into right place.

I know that level 9/10 received the champion on their each age group, then enter West or East gymnastics compeition? They can enter America Hope or Classis or Cup compietion by invite. But my preious experience, I tried to research TOPS program and it was sad that my states did not support TOPS programs also my DD gymnastics did not support. That is why, I feel that different states option is different also as like West sports most support than East sport?? because usa gymnastics required gymnastics coash offer their athles and not allow some athes want to try theirself to enroll?? That is my thought..

I understand all of your post because I asked my DD gymnastics coach about it. By my understanding, the gymnastics center did not have their althes enter "the Champion of state compeition". That is why I tried to figure out which gymnastics I should put my DD into right place.

I know that level 9/10 received the champion on their each age group, then enter West or East gymnastics compeition? They can enter America Hope or Classis or Cup compietion by invite. But my preious experience, I tried to research TOPS program and it was sad that my states did not support TOPS programs also my DD gymnastics did not support. That is why, I feel that different states option is different also as like West sports most support than East sport?? because usa gymnastics required gymnastics coash offer their athles and not allow some athes want to try theirself to enroll?? That is my thought..
I'm having a hard time following your posts, but if the gist is "some states/areas/gyms provide more support for extremely high level athletes" then you're absolutely correct. Depending on where you live you might not have access to a single gym that's ever produced a level 10, whereas people in some parts of Texas can drive to three gyms with current Olympic hopefuls currently training there.

Westerns and Easterns (just level 9) and Nationals (which is level 10) has nothing to do with the Classics and winter cups. One is JO now called DP and the other is Elite. Also you don’t need to be tops first before you can try and qualify for Hopes, Jr Elite, and Sr Elite

I will say this having lived in both California and Wisconsin for extended periods of time (many years each).

What is though of as "normal" in one place... may not be thought of the same way somewhere else. There are HUGE regional differences.

Westerns and Easterns (just level 9) and Nationals (which is level 10) has nothing to do with the Classics and winter cups. One is JO now called DP and the other is Elite. Also you don’t need to be tops first before you can try and qualify for Hopes, Jr Elite, and Sr Elite
what is the qualify for Hopes, Jr Elite and Sr Elite? Thanks

As he said, the way to qualify for Hopes, Jr Elite and Sr are the same. You have to hit thresholds for a compulsory routine (every gymnast has to do the same routine) and an optional routine. The scores go up as you get older. There is a slight overlap in age range for Hopes and Jr Elite but not for Jr Elite and Sr. Elite. So for example one can be 12 and compete hopes or Jr elite depending upon what qualifying score they got. Is there a more specific question you are looking to be answered?

Hopes (10–11)
compulsory 32 optional 42.5 (I think)
Hopes (12-13)
Compulsory 32 optional 46.5

Jr elite (12-15)
Compulsory 33.5 optional 48.5

ST. Elite (16-60)
Compulsory 35 Optional 52 (I think)

These scores get you to classics. The same optional score for Hopes the girls will advance to Hopes championship

Elites have US classics and American Classics to get a optional score of 52 to make it to championships

Sr elite needs a 53 or 54

Hopes (10–11)
Hopes (12-13)

Jr elite (12-15)

ST. Elite (16-60)

These scores get you to classics. The same optional score for Hopes the girls will advance to Hopes championship

Elites have US classics and American Classics to get a optional score of 52 to make it to championships

Youre a good man lol

Level 9 gymnasts qualify from Regionals to either the East or West Level 9 Championships, depending on where they live and compete.

Level 10 gymnasts qualify to Nationals by scoring the top 7 in their age group at their regional competition. All level 10s compete at the same national championship.

US Championships are completely different. No one is just invited, the gymnasts have to earn their spot by qualifying at Elite qualifiers, which they enter and are all over the United States. They train specifically to qualify Elite, Jr Elite, or HOPES. They must hit the qualifying score to be considered elite. Once they have both the compulsory score and the optional score, they are able to compete at the national level and in national championships.

Many elites do not do TOPS before qualifying. Your gymnast needs to compete in her level competitions until she is ready for elite competition, at which time she can enter the meets and qualify. But there is a specific routine that she must learn to qualify for the compulsory part which is the first step. She must have a coach willing to train her just for that and who understands the elite program.

You seem to be interested in getting your DD into the “right” gymnastics program. There are different paths of gymnastics in the USA.

And different gyms focus on those paths differently. What a gym focuses on doesn’t make them good or bad, but it could make them the right or wrong fit for a certain gymnast.

The elite track is difficult and many gyms don’t offer it. That doesn’t make them a bad gym.

But If elite is what you are looking for - you can review what gyms girls at those meets come from. Yes, a lot come from Texas and the west.. but a lot come from other places.
Looking at recent results of elite events there are girls from a lot of other regions too:
Twin City Twisters (Minnesota)
Midwest (Minnesota)
GAGE (Missouri)
Prestige (Pennsylvania)
Parkettes (Pennsylvania)
Brandy Johnson’s (Florida)
Buckeye (Ohio)
Gym x-treme (Ohio)
First State (Delaware)
Hills (Maryland)
And I’m sure I’m missing others.

Then if you look at the TOPs list that just came out… there are a lot of gyms from all over the place (Kentucky, Nebraska, Iowa, Hawaii, Michigan, New Jersey, New York— just to name a few)

If you really think you want your DD to try the elite route — maybe look though these lists and see if you can find a gym near you.

Hopes (10–11)
Hopes (12-13)

Jr elite (12-15)

ST. Elite (16-60)

New scores came out recently: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Committee Minutes/IEC/iec_091622.pdf

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back