Parents Team Score calculations at meets not adding up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymDad00

Proud Parent
I've recently seen a different team win the team competition than what www.mymeetscores.com calculates as the winner using the traditional 3 top score format. There's also no explanation at meets on what criteria they use to calculate team scores. Do some meets take age groups into consideration? Some gyms have very young gymnasts for a level and/or gymnasts across all age categories. Some gyms have older gymnasts and no young age group gymnasts. Are they weighting the scores based on age for team scores? I've also heard some people say gyms ask coaches to pick there gymnasts scores they want counted before the meet?

My meet scores is not always accurate. It is pulling from whatever system the gym/meet is using, so it is definitely imperfect. Entire teams have been left off, certain age groups, or particularly sessions and levels. It can be a good tool, but it definitely has flaws.

Some do top 5 from time to time too.

I've recently seen a different team win the team competition than what www.mymeetscores.com calculates as the winner using the traditional 3 top score format. There's also no explanation at meets on what criteria they use to calculate team scores. Do some meets take age groups into consideration? Some gyms have very young gymnasts for a level and/or gymnasts across all age categories. Some gyms have older gymnasts and no young age group gymnasts. Are they weighting the scores based on age for team scores? I've also heard some people say gyms ask coaches to pick there gymnasts scores they want counted before the meet?
Mymeetscores.com will post all team scores, regardless, but the team has to actually enter the team competition by paying the fee (some meets don't charge this team fee) in order to be considered in the awards. Some gyms just don't bother with team awards.

At my daughter's former gym meet, the team score was calculated based on the coach's selection of gymnasts. Before each session, the gyms participating in the team event had to select their gymnasts whose scores would be used. So, if your selected gymnast had a bad day but a non-selected gymnast had a great one, the bad score would count. The selection was done minutes before the session began so there is no way that to capture that for mymeets or any other score gathering program.

MyMeetScores only does top 3 and does not differentiate between team sizes and IMO not a good resource for tracking team scores

When at competitions use MeetScoresNow to better track team scores. You will be able to see team scores based on top 3, 5, or 7 scores and based on Small, Medium, or Large teams

USAG marks teams in the following categories.

Small team: 3-5 gymnasts (top 3 scores)
Medium team: 6-10 gymnasts (top 5 scores)
Large team: 11+ gymnasts (top 7 scores)

If you are looking for completed meets, MeetScoresOnline usually will have the online and pdf version of the results with individual and team scores.

Are you talking men or women? Men's meet are the only one's that do a small or large ever by us. It is very much normal to have a 3 athlete team competing against a 22 athlete team by us.

We have never seen teams broken up into small and large here in 10 years of JO/DP competing. If you look at the info sheet for the meet it usually explains how team placements are determined (around here on Long Island, anyway).

MyMeetScores only does top 3 and does not differentiate between team sizes and IMO not a good resource for tracking team scores

When at competitions use MeetScoresNow to better track team scores. You will be able to see team scores based on top 3, 5, or 7 scores and based on Small, Medium, or Large teams

If you are looking for completed meets, MeetScoresOnline usually will have the online and pdf version of the results with individual and team scores.
I’ve had 3 gymnasts, been going to meets since 2005; judge dozens of meets a year, and I have never seen team scores calculated this way. It’s just top 3 scores on each event. And like I said, a team has to actually enter the team competition to be in the awards, and some just don’t do it. Mymeetscores doesn’t differentiate between those entered and those not entered in the team competition.

I’ve seen a 3-member team beat every team at comps. Brandy Johnsons last year had a level 6 team with just a few members that was beating the leos off every other team. My kids’ gym has had up to 27 team members on a level, and the team score is still top 3 scores on each event.

The state meets in Northern California calculate team scores by taking the top 3 event scores from the top 4 all-arounders from the team. As others have said, my meet scores takes the top 3 event scores from the entire team.

The state meets in Northern California calculate team scores by taking the top 3 event scores from the top 4 all-arounders from the team. As others have said, my meet scores takes the top 3 event scores from the entire team.
That’s unfortunate. What about the rest of the team who could contribute with a great score on an event they excel at, not just the top AAs?

Are you talking men or women? Men's meet are the only one's that do a small or large ever by us. It is very much normal to have a 3 athlete team competing against a 22 athlete team by us.
I’m In Texas. Women’s compulsory levels 1-5. We use the small, medium and large gym categories at all our USAG meets.

So just may be dependent on the state, since this is just how our meets run with TX USAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back