WAG How Do You Know What Deductions Were Given?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter had her first competitive meet recently (Xcel Bronze). She did well (35.3) and I am proud if her, but was curious if there is any way to learn which deductions she had on each apparatus? She just got a number score for each.

Her coach should know and have them work on what they need to at practice. 35.3 is a great score for a first meet! While there are pages on facebook that offer scoring help, or you can study the code, or youtube questions, I'd also suggest not getting too wrapped up in scores at this level, and just letting her have fun.

They don't provide you with a list of deductions. A lot of coaches are good at pointing those out in practice and some gyms will have a judge come in and give unofficial scores and pointers during practice. We have a judge that also works at our gym and usually before states she goes out to practice and tells the kids their top 2-3 deductions on each event.

Well I looked over the info online so I'm at least educated about that now. I guess I assumed the actual deductions would be marked somewhere, like the meet scores website or something. It just seems weird that the kids don't get that info. But she is quite happy with her score so doesn't really matter that much.

Well I looked over the info online so I'm at least educated about that now. I guess I assumed the actual deductions would be marked somewhere, like the meet scores website or something. It just seems weird that the kids don't get that info. But she is quite happy with her score so doesn't really matter that much.
Some gyms might attend a critique meet where more feedback is given for each routine, but generally not. It would definitely be nice sometimes!

A judges cup meet will provide a critique sheet, but most meets will not. The cop that JBS linked provides all deductions but is also very much hard to understand.

The cop that JBS linked provides all deductions but is also very much hard to understand.

Yep... this is the main reason why teaching the kids the deductions is really hard... there are tons of rules... and many of them that don't make much sense.

For example... I got a 10.1 start at Level 10... but I'm still not up to the level... what?

Yep... this is the main reason why teaching the kids the deductions is really hard... there are tons of rules... and many of them that don't make much sense.

For example... I got a 10.1 start at Level 10... but I'm still not up to the level... what?
There no 10.1; it’s 10.0 plus .1 bonus. Must have .6 in bonus, all SRs, all As, Bs, C’s, and an E acro, or E release on bars.

I feel the same! My kiddo keeps scoring lower in Xcel Bronze Floor this year and I have zero feedback on what exactly is going on besides making guesses. She has qualified for state, which is next, but I would love to help her clean up her floor routine in the weeks leading up to it. Guess it is time to talk to her coach.

There no 10.1; it’s 10.0 plus .1 bonus. Must have .6 in bonus, all SRs, all As, Bs, C’s, and an E acro, or E release on bars.

So are you saying that a 10.1 start and a 10.0 + .1 in bonus are different? It's going to result in the same score.

Unless you get a perfect 10.0 I guess... then you don't get the 10.1... is that what you are trying to say?
Shouldn’t question her/him. They will just hit you on the side saying how their a judge and think they know more then you because they have 20+ years in the sport

All I'm saying is that no one walks around saying I finally got my "10.0 + .1 bonus". Even half the judges I talk to go... "Nice work... you got your 10.1 start".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back