Coaches Flex Roll Carpet Bonded Foam separating after 8 years, rolled up MAYBE 15 times Normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have a acrobatic gym. we bought 7 rolls of Flex Roll Carpet Bonded Foam in 2014. it has been on spring floor most of its life, rolled up maybe 15 times..

These separations are happening in various spots on the floor. We are just wondering is 10 years the normal life of flex roll?

We are trying to decide if we should get solid foam this time for stick with flex roll.

Attachments

• 20221217_114944.jpg
    20221217_114944.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221217_115036.jpg
    20221217_115036.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221217_115055.jpg
    20221217_115055.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 29
We are trying to decide if we should get solid foam this time for stick with flex roll.

Flex roll is junk. I have seen it have a much shorter lifespan than 8 years.

Last edited:
To answer your question better. I would never buy flex roll unless I absolutely needed it for a specific reason... like I am rolling up the foam every night. If I did buy it and was rolling it every night... I wouldn't count on it lasting long.

I have seen people that love this stuff and every time I look at their foam is has those marks on the top and some have always torn through. Having cuts in your foam is very dangerous.

Is there a reason that you need the flex roll? If not... get regular solid foam.

Here is another interesting way to think about it. On a regular spring floor there are 6 cracks... 1 between each of the 7 rolls of foam.

If you cover it with flex... you have about 900 cracks on your floor.

Thank you for the reply

Only reason we would need it is once a year we moved the floor to a different gym for a competition

But this time I think we're going to avoid the flexi role and go with solid. And deal with the logistics of moving the solid floor when the time comes

But this time I think we're going to avoid the flexi role and go with solid. And deal with the logistics of moving the solid floor when the time comes

If you buy regular foam... it can just be rolled up and moved to the new location.

If you are rolling regular carpet bonded foam... make sure you ROLL IT WITH THE CARPET OUT. If you roll it with the carpet on the inside of the roll you will bend (crease) it and ruin it.

Roll it like the image below...
Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 8.54.35 PM.png

If you buy regular foam... it can just be rolled up and moved to the new location.

If you are rolling regular carpet bonded foam... make sure you ROLL IT WITH THE CARPET OUT. If you roll it with the carpet on the inside of the roll you will bend (crease) it and ruin it.

Roll it like the image below...
View attachment 8478
Looking at that picture, and having rolled the cut foam carpet a couple times, I don't see much benefit o dealing with the cuts. I guess, maybe the roll above may try to unroll itself more, or the cut stuff might roll ever so slightly tighter in the middle. Even so, I'm not seeing a huge difference and it's not like the cut stuff is a breeze to roll.

Looking at that picture, and having rolled the cut foam carpet a couple times, I don't see much benefit o dealing with the cuts. I guess, maybe the roll above may try to unroll itself more, or the cut stuff might roll ever so slightly tighter in the middle. Even so, I'm not seeing a huge difference and it's not like the cut stuff is a breeze to roll.

Exactly... it's really not a huge benefit in my opinion. All of the equipment rental companies in this area use regular foam (not flex / cut) on their floors.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back