Anon Should my coach say these things to me?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, I would like some opinions because I want to know if I'm just being sensitive or not. So to give an example of the things he says to me, I will use today's practice as the example: I am on vault, trying a new vault for the very first time(tsuk full). This is obviously a tricky vault. I kind of failed at it pretty miserably, which is what I expected I mean it was my first time right? So he says the following things, "How do you expect to be a high-level gymnast when you can't do things the way I ask you to do them?" "So and so twisted their vault the first time they tried!" "Any other coach would say no to you. Any other coach would refuse to coach you because you just can't learn." Alright, so this made me very upset because I felt like he saw no talent or potential in me. I started tearing up a little because I was honestly hurt. He also has threatened to stop coaching me numerous times. Input is appreciated.

These are hard "what-ifs" to decipher. Context is important. Was he screaming these things at you? Was it during the course of a busy gym practice with lots of gymnasts taking turns and he is talking as you walk back down runway? Did he pull you aside in a quiet space and say these things? Does he tend to be sarcastic? All I am saying is my daughter has had similar comments made to her, her coach thought she was being motivational if a bit sarcastic, but daughter received it much like you. Regardless of the actual context, the most important thing is that you have a positive relationship with your coach. Otherwise its just another unhealthy, non-productive relationship in your life. Its ok to push back on comments like these if the way you receive them make you feel as you say. A good coach will respond and listen to that feedback. Not every gymnast is the same and not every gymnast is motivated in the same manner.

I think that if you have to ask if someone should be talking to you in some way, that you already know that they shouldn't. That's clearly not "positive coaching."

Yeah that's not positive of your coach to say at all. No coach should compare their gymnasts, nor say they're "uncoachable". Had a coach who would say things like "you're just not getting it at all, can you even understand what I'm saying?" "just quit this sport if you're going to do that"

It didn't help at all and under no circumstance should a coach make anyone feel like that.

Hi everyone, I would like some opinions because I want to know if I'm just being sensitive or not. So to give an example of the things he says to me, I will use today's practice as the example: I am on vault, trying a new vault for the very first time(tsuk full). This is obviously a tricky vault. I kind of failed at it pretty miserably, which is what I expected I mean it was my first time right? So he says the following things, "How do you expect to be a high-level gymnast when you can't do things the way I ask you to do them?" "So and so twisted their vault the first time they tried!" "Any other coach would say no to you. Any other coach would refuse to coach you because you just can't learn." Alright, so this made me very upset because I felt like he saw no talent or potential in me. I started tearing up a little because I was honestly hurt. He also has threatened to stop coaching me numerous times. Input is appreciated.
No, a good coach should not be talking like that to you. Ever. Signed a coach and teacher.

Listen to your gut! You know this isn’t okay! I’m not sure how best you should deal with this at your gym. If switching coaches/gyms is an option, I’d do it. Otherwise, a sit-down with the coach, his boss, and your parents is in order. So sorry you have to deal with this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News