NCAA 2023 College Season Starts Friday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
Crazy how quick it seems to come up, much like all of our DD's seasons!

Chalk says its going to be between Florida and Oklahoma for the title. I am hoping that the Gators can pull it together and nail it at the right time to finally vanquish Oklahoma. But idk what KJ does, but she always seems to have her squad laser-focused and executing like steel in the finals. I am hoping for a classic final 4 battle.

Other things of interest for me:
  • Suni farewell tour, will Auburn continue to rise with better gymnastics or was last year just the confluence of post-Olympic excitement and great home crowds giving some scoring/performance bumps? Their 2 big meets are away this year (Alabama and Florida) and while Suni will always draw the crowd, the environments will be quite different.
  • LSU rebound, it was a disaster last year between injuries and performances. Hayleigh Bryant seems to be forgotten as a result, but hopeful she will quickly remind everyone how amazing she is. Seat could get hot for Jay if another sub-par year.
  • Bama alumni bounce, with Ashley Johnston coming home and a deceptively stacked roster, does Bama do something that Dana, while making steady progress, never was able to quite do? I really think they are a potential surprise pick.
  • The Great Georgia experiment, can you literally turn a whole roster over in one year and get great results? While Kupets did a great job with her recruiting class, I don't think Georgia has any returning gymnasts of significance from last season. Does she get the magic combination and keep her from having to use her job-saving voodoo doll again?
  • Califorinia UCLA good vibes, with a new staff and new outlook, does UCLA finally start executing to their potential? The good news is there has not been a pre-season turmoil drop to set the tone like last year and most social media posts seem business as usual, lets go viral. Does Janelle keep the good vibes going with a little more focus to lead to results?
What other storylines are people excited for?

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing how Fisk does. If they can build a successful program, I think we will see more colleges making the attempt.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing how Fisk does. If they can build a successful program, I think we will see more colleges making the attempt.
I agree with that, although I think Clemson is going to be more the test case than Fisk which as an HBC is pretty niche in their audience.

I agree with that, although I think Clemson is going to be more the test case than Fisk which as an HBC is pretty niche in their audience.
I don't understand why Fisk would have a niche audience. Shouldn't we support all gymnastics regardless?

Chalk says its going to be between Florida and Oklahoma for the title. I am hoping that the Gators can pull it together and nail it at the right time to finally vanquish Oklahoma. But idk what KJ does, but she always seems to have her squad laser-focused and executing like steel in the finals. I am hoping for a classic final 4 battle.

• Suni farewell tour, will Auburn continue to rise with better gymnastics or was last year just the confluence of post-Olympic excitement and great home crowds giving some scoring/performance bumps? Their 2 big meets are away this year (Alabama and Florida) and while Suni will always draw the crowd, the environments will be quite different.
  • LSU rebound, it was a disaster last year between injuries and performances. Hayleigh Bryant seems to be forgotten as a result, but hopeful she will quickly remind everyone how amazing she is. Seat could get hot for Jay if another sub-par year.
  • Bama alumni bounce, with Ashley Johnston coming home and a deceptively stacked roster, does Bama do something that Dana, while making steady progress, never was able to quite do? I really think they are a potential surprise pick.
  • The Great Georgia experiment, can you literally turn a whole roster over in one year and get great results? While Kupets did a great job with her recruiting class, I don't think Georgia has any returning gymnasts of significance from last season. Does she get the magic combination and keep her from having to use her job-saving voodoo doll again?
  • Califorinia UCLA good vibes, with a new staff and new outlook, does UCLA finally start executing to their potential? The good news is there has not been a pre-season turmoil drop to set the tone like last year and most social media posts seem business as usual, lets go viral. Does Janelle keep the good vibes going with a little more focus to lead to results?
Auburn has a LOT of talent on the team and as my daughter says "they might come to watch Suni, they stay to watch Auburn gymnastics"!

Auburn has a LOT of talent on the team and as my daughter says "they might come to watch Suni, they stay to watch Auburn gymnastics"!
Oh no doubt the enthusiasm for Auburn gymnastics is high and Suni has only been a gateway to introducing the broader community to gymnastics. Great stuff from them last year. I only mean from the results standpoint. The actual competitions, going to Florida and Alabama are a lot different than having those meets at home.
I don't understand why Fisk would have a niche audience. Shouldn't we support all gymnastics regardless?
I am speaking from the broader non-gymnastics community. By starting a new program, by default its a success in the eyes of the gymnastic community. But in order for it to be a success, in the sense of stimulating other universities to start programs, its going to have to generate a lot of interest and revenue. Fisk as an HBC has a much smaller alumni base and reach than a university like Clemson. That's what I mean as niche.

This has got to be Kupet's last year at Georgia. I've been a Georgia fan so long and it's been disheartening to see this team wither.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back