Coaches Are all gyms like this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you know its time to change gyms? I've been coaching at the same gym for about 5 years now and have gone nowhere. (not for lack of trying) Its simply because I never "did team" and the fact its all about favoritism. If the head team coach decides they don't like you (depends on the day) you don't get any opportunity to move up, such as help with pre-team or team.(I was "allowed" to help with preteam before this coach came in) But however say we have new coaches, never coached but they decide (team coach) that they like them they put them on to coach team (but with absolutley no training/technique). But say someone who has asked and has the skills to help coach team and has worked hard for years to be where they're at would like to do so isn't given the opportunity. And as for the owner of the gym, they're a great person (but they also pay favoritism with certain people), I have asked them if its about my coaching abilities but simply have been told no, that its because I am a great coach and they don't want to lose me from rec because they know I'll always show up and are great with the kids. But they'll take another person they've said that to and put them as a team coach. (we both have the same skill set)(I also trained this person). My question is are all gyms like this? I mean I know they are to an extent but both gyms Ive worked at have been this way. I don't know what to do, part of me would like to find a gym a can grow my coaching in but I feel extremely loyal to the gym I work at. I know I sound slightly arrogant but It starts to hurt when you get shut down over and over again and everytime they say its because you're a great coach/worker, but honestly its starting not to feel that way.

That's a tough one but if you really want to coach team it seems like you may have to move on and find another gym. Are there opportunities available locally?

To some degree favouritism exists everywhere as it’s human nature. We all have certain personalities we are drawn too and others we are not.

We also all have unconscious bias, it’s human nature. We may unconsciously assume that one person is going to be better at something’s because of something like they way they look.

It’s a part of life and it won’t go away. What you can do to combat this is make yourself so good that they can’t ignore you.

Instead of saying to yourself “I’m a good coach, but they aren’t considering me”. Say to yourself “how can I make myself a better coach every day”. Do all you can to learn as much as you can study gymnastics skills, coaching methods, child psychology, competition routines etc.

Get qualified as a judge, that makes you a very valuable team coach as you know what judges will look for in competitions. If you do a significantly better job than the “Favorites” no one will be able to overlook you.

As long as you tell yourself that they are not taking you because you aren’t a favourite, even if it’s true, you can’t fix the problem. Because you can’t change other people’s attitudes.

But if you tell yourself you need to develop yourself as a coach to be chosen for this role you can work towards this because you can control this.

You don’t owe them loyalty, if you are sure they are overlooking you because you weren't a team gymnast yourself, work somewhere else. This is a job, people change jobs when it isn’t working anymore.

But be sure of your decision as most wont take you back if you coach elsewhere. But there is nothing wrong with working elsewhere.

have a meeting with the owner/HC to determine what is holding you back from coaching team and work toward that. If they are not receptive, then it's time to move on

One thing to keep in mind: every gym is always short staffed. If you have any gymnastics experience at all, you can walk into almost any gym asking for a job and they'll hire you on the spot.

If you're not happy where you're at, look for another gym.

To some degree favouritism exists everywhere as it’s human nature. We all have certain personalities we are drawn too and others we are not.

We also all have unconscious bias, it’s human nature. We may unconsciously assume that one person is going to be better at something’s because of something like they way they look.

It’s a part of life and it won’t go away. What you can do to combat this is make yourself so good that they can’t ignore you.

Instead of saying to yourself “I’m a good coach, but they aren’t considering me”. Say to yourself “how can I make myself a better coach every day”. Do all you can to learn as much as you can study gymnastics skills, coaching methods, child psychology, competition routines etc.

Get qualified as a judge, that makes you a very valuable team coach as you know what judges will look for in competitions. If you do a significantly better job than the “Favorites” no one will be able to overlook you.

As long as you tell yourself that they are not taking you because you aren’t a favourite, even if it’s true, you can’t fix the problem. Because you can’t change other people’s attitudes.

But if you tell yourself you need to develop yourself as a coach to be chosen for this role you can work towards this because you can control this.

You don’t owe them loyalty, if you are sure they are overlooking you because you weren't a team gymnast yourself, work somewhere else. This is a job, people change jobs when it isn’t working anymore.

But be sure of your decision as most wont take you back if you coach elsewhere. But there is nothing wrong with working elsewhere.
Thank you, Its not my skill level of coaching or how good of a job I do (they've admitted that) but the fact I never did team. I've taken several usag coaching courses in my own time and I'm currently taking the judging course from usag. They (HC) know that and laughed and said that I "can't" judge because I never did team. That hasn't stopped me from continuing to improve, I would leave but as a person I'm loyal to a fault and am slightly scared that if I did leave that other gyms are like this as well.

have a meeting with the owner/HC to determine what is holding you back from coaching team and work toward that. If they are not receptive, then it's time to move on
I have, their point is that I never did team. Not about my skill level of coaching or anything but that I never was on team. I'm honestly scared to move on since I don't know if other gyms are like this as well. I've worked at 2 gyms (in 2 different states) and they both have been like this.

Thank you, Its not my skill level of coaching or how good of a job I do (they've admitted that) but the fact I never did team. I've taken several usag coaching courses in my own time and I'm currently taking the judging course from usag. They (HC) know that and laughed and said that I "can't" judge because I never did team. That hasn't stopped me from continuing to improve, I would leave but as a person I'm loyal to a fault and am slightly scared that if I did leave that other gyms are like this as well.
Some gyms are godawful and some are great. Try another one and see which this one was. If your perception is correct, which is a major IF, it sounds like a pretty crappy place to work.

Also, Al Fong never did gymnastics prior to coaching. My daughter’s bar coach is a dude — he never competed on the high/low set up.

I think this is telling. They don't seem to care that you are willing/desperate to learn and progress. While I think it will be much harder for you without the gym background - it is not impossible and I can think of many coaches who were successful despite having no/very limited actual gymnastic experience.
Personally I'd rather work with the coach who has no back ground but is willing to learn. The coach with gymnastics experience who doesn't want to learn or do anything different from their own experience might be helpful to throw in and cover when you are desperate - but they are not useful long term.

They can’t stop you from getting qualified as a judge and judging competitions. You can do this an an independent.

I think this is telling. They don't seem to care that you are willing/desperate to learn and progress. While I think it will be much harder for you without the gym background - it is not impossible and I can think of many coaches who were successful despite having no/very limited actual gymnastic experience.
Personally I'd rather work with the coach who has no back ground but is willing to learn. The coach with gymnastics experience who doesn't want to learn or do anything different from their own experience might be helpful to throw in and cover when you are desperate - but they are not useful long term.
Many of the best coaches never did gymnastics. There are advantages to being a coach without a gymnastics background.

Coaches who did a lot of gym often learned to do skills very young, they don’t remember learning those skills.

When you learn them as an adult you learn them with a deeper understanding.

Sometimes a coach who has done a lot training in gymnastics themselves will feel they know it all or they know what they are doing. Those with less gymnastics experience may be more open to learning.

I have, their point is that I never did team. Not about my skill level of coaching or anything but that I never was on team. I'm honestly scared to move on since I don't know if other gyms are like this as well. I've worked at 2 gyms (in 2 different states) and they both have been like this.
I’ll be honest, to an extent I understand that. Having done gymnastics on team makes it easier to coach it. However, after a certain amount of experience and effort (you seem to have both in spades) it makes sense for you to coach team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back