Parents Non-parent (and coach) needing advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi parents! I've heard a lot about you!

I'm back coaching gymnastics after a 10 year break. Currently, I'm coaching recreational and XCEL gymnastics (ages 5-12). While I love kids, I have none of my own, and—quite frankly—I'm out of touch with current parenting norms. (Let's just say I've been hanging out with adults for too long.)

QUESTION: Who are age-appropriate role models for young (girl) gymnasts? I generally encourage my students to watch professional gymnasts on TV, as they can be a great source of inspiration. But college gymnastics seems like a grey zone. Floor routines, in particular, are highly sexualized. While I'm not against the choreography on principle, I'm wary of exposing my young students to this subculture. Am I pearl-clutching prude? What are your thoughts?

My wife and I promote college gymnastics heavily to our daughters and gymnasts. As far as role models... as a dad I don't really promote anyone as a role model... I don't really believe in role models.

If you want a role model in sport. Watch Rodger’s speach starting at about 6 minutes in. This was immediately after a grueling 5 set tennis match where both finalists had be been giving absolutely everything they had for hours. This speech is the single greatest example of sportsmanship I have ever seen.

Another role model for young women is Katie Ledecky. She’s considered the greatest female freestyle swimmer ever. In her best race, no one has beaten her in 11 years in national and international competition. Yet in her interviews, she is humble, gracious and enthusiastic.

I think the most important role models at any age are people you actually know and interact with in real life. This is especially so for children. Kids look up to the the adults in their lives and that very much includes teachers and coaches. Kids are sponges and how the adults around them behave is very much influencing them - for good or ill. This is why adults whose jobs involve interacting with kids have a huge responsibility. (As do parents, of course.) As a coach, you are much more influential than some stranger on a screen. I do not know if you are male or female, but in either case you can be a good role model for young girls in how you speak to them, how you treat others, how you respond to frustrations, dress and present yourself, etc. If you think it is important for kids to see less sexual floor routines, perhaps you could find some that you like online and email the links to the parents. As far as being a pearl clutching prude, as a parent I very much appreciate anyone being cautious in this area.

Another role model for young women is Katie Ledecky. She’s considered the greatest female freestyle swimmer ever. In her best race, no one has beaten her in 11 years in national and international competition. Yet in her interviews, she is humble, gracious and enthusiastic.
Agreed, she is now actually a volunteer coach at UF training college swimmers for peanuts.

TL;DR Beware of YouTube videos.

My DD could not be less interested in watching elite gymnasts or modeling her style against theirs. At first, I found this troubling. I thought she was supposed to.
Now I'm glad, because any time you watch gymnastics on YouTube, you'll eventually be served video after video of gruesome injuries.
So, if you're asking your gymnasts to watch videos, be aware that after a bit, this may be happening.

TL;DR Beware of YouTube videos.

My DD could not be less interested in watching elite gymnasts or modeling her style against theirs. At first, I found this troubling. I thought she was supposed to.
Now I'm glad, because any time you watch gymnastics on YouTube, you'll eventually be served video after video of gruesome injuries.
So, if you're asking your gymnasts to watch videos, be aware that after a bit, this may be happening.
This is a great point!

My daughter is the same. I enjoy watching NCAA meets and my daughter could take it or leave it. She’d rather be doing gymnastics than watching it. Just different personalities, I think.

I have had floor music requests for "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk," "Milkshake," "Talk Dirty to Me," "Anaconda,"
"Tequila," "Centerfold," "Rub It In," "Regulate," and "Barbie Girl." Of these 9, 4 of them were requested by the same (almost) 10 year old. We are with a YMCA team ... I jokingly ran the requests by HC, knowing she would veto them. She settled for "Jump in the Line."

All about Katie Ledecky! Also Jordan Chiles, and Ali Raisman may be considered "old" now but is an incredible role model, I think. I also totally agree with the poster saying the best role models are people in your kids' real life.

As for the sexualization of NCAA gymnastics, I think the routines are fun and athletic, and adults get to be sexy on their own terms. In our house, we talk about it as a style of expression, not right or wrong. That said, what really makes me sad is how my gymnast doesn't have college dreams almost exclusively because of the cut of the leos. Say what you will (and I know there's a lot to say), but I didn't teach her to look at them and be uncomfortable, picturing herself having to wear one. I don't blame her either.

That said, what really makes me sad is how my gymnast doesn't have college dreams almost exclusively because of the cut of the leos. Say what you will (and I know there's a lot to say), but I didn't teach her to look at them and be uncomfortable, picturing herself having to wear one. I don't blame her either.
Thats really sad and another huge reason why something else should be allowed...
However this season, a ncaa gymnast (forgot her name) wore black leggings under her leo because of religious reasons and they allowed her to compete!
I wish all gymnasts had the option of wearing shorts/leggings over their leo if they so wish

Thats really sad and another huge reason why something else should be allowed...
However this season, a ncaa gymnast (forgot her name) wore black leggings under her leo because of religious reasons and they allowed her to compete!
I wish all gymnasts had the option of wearing shorts/leggings over their leo if they so wish
im always reaally uncomfortable in just a leotard, but my gym has a VERY strict rule that we are absolutely not allowed to wear shorts or leggings in meets. sometimes we arent even allowed to wear them for practice. its ridiculous because even the usag rules allow it.

im always reaally uncomfortable in just a leotard, but my gym has a VERY strict rule that we are absolutely not allowed to wear shorts or leggings in meets. sometimes we arent even allowed to wear them for practice. its ridiculous because even the usag rules allow it.
Same! Leos are very uncomfy!!
Wait, usag rules allow shorts!?!?!
We aren't allowed to wear shorts in practice the week before the meet and in the meet..

Just coach. Be the role model. And any female can be a good role model, not just gymnasts. Really any person with a good work ethic and concerned about their education and helping others is a good role model.

At age 5-12 my kid was more into watching football and Eli Manning than gymnasts. Gymnasts weren’t on her radar until about 14 and UCLA. These days it’s back to the Giants and Gator gymnastics. And she also does gymnastics she doesn’t need to watch it.

These rules have been in place since the 2021-2022 season:
10. Present herself in the proper attire.
a. Allowable apparel for competition in both Women’s programs (Development (Dev) and Xcel):
1) Sleeveless leotards
2) Unitards with ankle length legs
3) Ankle length tights: may be worn under OR over the leotard (that match the leotard or are skin tone).
4) Gymnastics footwear • Tennis shoes (athletic sneakers) are NOT considered gymnastics footwear.
5) Shorts: must be solid black (small manufacturer’s branding allowed) with no embellishments. Shorts must be worn over a leotard and the length must be above the knee or shorter.

Found in Chapter 1:
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2021/2021_2022_w_rulespolicies.pdf
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2022/2022_2023_w_rulespolicies.pdf

Yes! She's awesome. But until she's not the only one, girls who want to wear shorts or leggings will carry the additional burden of making a statement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back