Anon Puberty Growth Spurt

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is in the throes of a major puberty growth spurt- ugh! Anyone else's daughter going through this right now? I have been reading through some of the previous posts about growth spurts which have been nice to read, because I know we are not alone in this, but wow- it has been a brutal start to competition season.

Everyone's path is different, but unfortunately for my dd it was a 3-4 year growth "spurt" of doubling body weight, 8+ inches and a much differently shaped body. Add many growth plate injuries to this and she retired at 15 training level 9. She was very successful up until level 8, did have to repeat some levels due to injuries, but could not push through all of this to continue with level 9.
Not saying all of that to scare you, you just asked for others' experiences. Many girls can push through it and come out the other side just fine!

My daughter is almost 15 and she for the most part has been a slow and steady grower. This huge growth spurt has definitely caught off guard. We don't have any delusions of an olympic career and probably not going to compete in college. She just loves gymnastics and I want her to be able to enjoy it for as long as she can!

Not alone, seemed like she grew half an inch between practice and her last meet and all of a sudden the vault table was too close. Had to switch to a Tsuk just to not scratch on vault.

big growth spurts are tough, it causes many kids to end their gymnastics careers. Bars always took the biggest hit for my kid followed by beam. On the upside vault usually gains ground. It takes time for their brains to adjust to their new bodies. Tell her to hang In there it will get better

My daughter is in the throes of a major puberty growth spurt- ugh! Anyone else's daughter going through this right now? I have been reading through some of the previous posts about growth spurts which have been nice to read, because I know we are not alone in this, but wow- it has been a brutal start to competition season.
I do not have a daughter, as I am 13- but, I have grown 6 inches over the past year so I lost some skills I’m in the process on getting back. I also gained weight during my growth spurt, so gymnastics does feel a bit harder than it was when I was only five feet tall. However, an advantage to growing in general is you usually become stronger as well.

My daughter (15 tomorrow) is on the other side now, but it did get tough for sure. She was a pretty steady grower so no dramatic overnight growth, but she is much taller and curvier than she was pre puberty. She never really lost any skills, but floor has actually become harder for her and she did have some rough events at meets during that time. Somehow she has not really benefitted the way most have.. her vault and floor remain challenging despite her growth and her beam and bars remain her best events. Shrug. Everyone is different I guess. :)

Not alone, seemed like she grew half an inch between practice and her last meet and all of a sudden the vault table was too close. Had to switch to a Tsuk just to not scratch on vault.
Yes! We have switched vault around a few times over the last few months. It is definitely a positive of optionals... having options ;)

I do not have a daughter, as I am 13- but, I have grown 6 inches over the past year so I lost some skills I’m in the process on getting back. I also gained weight during my growth spurt, so gymnastics does feel a bit harder than it was when I was only five feet tall. However, an advantage to growing in general is you usually become stronger as well.
Thank you for your insight Trying_to_tumble. I have heard strength gains can be an advantage of going through puberty. That sounds like a good thing to focus on. Best wishes to you this season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back