WAG Vacuums and chalk

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kolabola29

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I was wondering if some coaches, gym owners, etc. might be willing to weigh in on an important but mundane topic--vacuums! What vacuums do a good job with chalk without immediately having the filter clogged so the vacuum stops functioning after just vacuuming a floor or a runway. Dyson apparently (despite its high price tag!) is not great with chalk, so I'm looking for a better solution that is reliable. Thanks!

None... and Dyson's suck.

We use a shop vac with a drywall bag and a regular filter in the high chalk areas...

You can't get the junk bags... you have to get the good ones...

Make sure the bag is installed correctly... check he bag every so often to make sure it is filling correctly.

Throw away the bag and bang off the filter outside once the bag is 1/3 full... get a new bag.

As for vacuums for regular areas that are not high chalk...

Amazon product ASIN B008BPEVGU
It's lite... the bags are cheap (again 1/3 full)... the vacuum is also fairly inexpensive... they last quite a while. Do NOT use any regular vacuum in a high chalk area... once it starts making that high pitch scream... your motor is going bad... the chalk does that to them.

The shop vacs work much better for high chalk if you use it just like I stated.

Last edited:
Again... the shop vacs are the way to go... get the edges and high chalk areas with the shop vac and it will save your other vacuums. The shop vacs are only $79.

And 1/2 the gyms in our state use the Oreck now.

Here is another thread...

Please feel free to post your thoughts in either thread.

***Just a disclaimer... any regular vacuum (including the Oreck XL) will not work well in high chalk areas.

I find all the hair kills the vacuums faster than the chalk!

Yah... the hair should be cleaned off the vacuum every time before use. Make sure the vacuum is not plugged in.

The hair will stop the roller / beater / brush from spinning and then your belt will just burn off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back