Off Topic Money

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 28600

Hey guys! I am an Xcel bronze gymnast and I LOVE gymnastics! I have great coaches and everything but I would like to reach my full potential. I only train two days a week, however I simply cannot afford to do any more classes. My parents aren’t really in a great financial situation rn so I pay for my own gym. All of it… I really want to go to the Kelowna Inv. coming up and I have saved up enough money even for gas! Anyway, i want to improve fast and I am training at home a lot but I can’t afford any more training hours. Any advice?

I’d say make the most of your training hours at home and at the gym. I also only have two practices a week so I work on bars/vault most there and focus on floor at home since the floor will always be there :D I don’t have a beam but I use a thin strip of cardboards for practice padded with craft foam, so that works like a good floor beam.
Honestly, if you‘re Xcel bronze I don’t think you’d need more than 2 practices for consistent development. Remember, conditioning is what gets you ahead in the long run.

May I ask how long each class is? And, if you’re fine with sharing that, how old you are? I don’t improve as fast as when I was 8. It takes a bit longer to get skills as a 13 YO than back then.

At home on non practice days I would try to get ahead with conditioning and flexibility, since you are doing the best you can at gym. Skills that would be beneficial for you get get:

-press handstand
-all splits down
-good handstand hold
-good static shapes: hollow hold, arch hold, plank, etc.

In addition, work some of the things that are generally forgotten. Shoulders, wrist, ankles, back muscles, hips, etc. This will help prevent injuries and strengthen everything as a whole.

Obviously, none of this is the most fun stuff, but it will immensely benefit your gymnastics career without setting bad habits.

A bonus for you that is fun stuff, good for rest days: Watch college gymnastics, make skill ladders, decide what skills you would want to compete at say, xcel diamond if you make it, journal your goals, make a vision board.

Did you ask the gym you train at if they have any work you could do in exchange for some additional training? Front desk attendant, clean up, help with a day care program, etc.

For at home training I wouldn't recommend doing skill work, just strength and flexibility.

Hey guys! I am an Xcel bronze gymnast and I LOVE gymnastics! I have great coaches and everything but I would like to reach my full potential. I only train two days a week, however I simply cannot afford to do any more classes. My parents aren’t really in a great financial situation rn so I pay for my own gym. All of it… I really want to go to the Kelowna Inv. coming up and I have saved up enough money even for gas! Anyway, i want to improve fast and I am training at home a lot but I can’t afford any more training hours. Any advice?
Are you old enough to be able to help out at the gym? Cleaning, coaching, whatever? If so, talk to your gym owner and see if you can work out an exchange

I’d say make the most of your training hours at home and at the gym. I also only have two practices a week so I work on bars/vault most there and focus on floor at home since the floor will always be there :D I don’t have a beam but I use a thin strip of cardboards for practice padded with craft foam, so that works like a good floor beam.
Honestly, if you‘re Xcel bronze I don’t think you’d need more than 2 practices for consistent development. Remember, conditioning is what gets you ahead in the long run.

May I ask how long each class is? And, if you’re fine with sharing that, how old you are? I don’t improve as fast as when I was 8. It takes a bit longer to get skills as a 13 YO than back then.
I’m 13 as well. Each class is 2 hours. What level are you competing at?

I’m thirteen and each practice is two hours. What level are you competing at?

Are you old enough to be able to help out at the gym? Cleaning, coaching, whatever? If so, talk to your gym owner and see if you can work out an exchange
I am definitely old enough but I don’t really think it would be an option at my gym. Thanks so much for ur suggestion tho

For young teens, I'd ask if you could help out with the baby classes in exchange for a tuition discount. It seems like gyms are always looking for someone to set up and clean up the baby obstacle courses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back