Parents Spots

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What level and event?

yes you still get deductions for the skill. And the spotting deduction. Personally I would either miss the skill out or not compete that piece. Getting a spot in a competition isn't a great idea IMHO. If the skill isn't ready to be competed don't do it.
Agree. I was trying to see if it would be a deduction or a lower start value. I wasn’t seeing too much info but didn’t do more than a general google quick search either.

I think it’s .5 for the spot and then up to the value of the skill, depending on how much they spot. If they just lightly touch vs doing the skill for the gymnast.

Are spots allowed for some levels and events than others?

Yes... for example... L8 vault is a 1.00 deduction for a spot. If you spot at L9/10 the vault is VOID.

There are high level clubs that spot on bars during competitions (their high level kids... like L9/10)... and many clubs safety spot high level skills on bars.

I would not recommend spotting low level floor... I would just pull the skill or scratch the event. Our Silvers all just do roundoff backward roll if they cannot do a roundoff back handspring. Much less stressful on everyone than getting a spot on a skill that you can't do at a meet.

Yes... for example... L8 vault is a 1.00 deduction for a spot. If you spot at L9/10 the vault is VOID.

There are high level clubs that spot on bars during competitions (their high level kids... like L9/10)... and many clubs safety spot high level skills on bars.

I would not recommend spotting low level floor... I would just pull the skill or scratch the event. Our Silvers all just do roundoff backward roll if they cannot do a roundoff back handspring. Much less stressful on everyone than getting a spot on a skill that you can't do at a meet.
I’m sure less deductions too because they all add up. There would be one for the spot then anything in the skill.
Are their different levels for spots like a light touch or completely assisting with the skill or just standing there in case? Hope that makes sense.

Are their different levels for spots like a light touch or completely assisting with the skill or just standing there in case? Hope that makes sense.

Not in a case like you are mentioning. It would be "spot" or "no spot".

It would be more for a bars scenario and it would be "spot" vs "inadvertent contact". If the coach goes to catch a release move and the gymnast ends up catching and the coach doesn't spot but touches them... that would be "inadvertent contact" for .5. If the coach is standing in the wrong spot and the gymnast kicks them... no deduction... but the routine would be messed up at that point anyways.

Anytime you go in for a spot... except L8 vault... you are basically looking at a possible loss of the skill and getting an additional deduction if there is one. I have been called for spotting on bars when I didn't even touch the athlete. Luckily they said they would look at a video.

Basically... there are many spotting regulations that are "per event"... not just overall.

Basically... there are many spotting regulations that are "per event"... not just overall.
I was browsing the code of points and didn’t see spot for floor. I see if for the other events though. But I could have overlooked it.
do all events have the deduction for a spot at this lower level?

And I think if a skill is spotted in optionals (including Xcel), it doesn’t get counted as a skill. So it could potentially be .5 for the spot, deductions for execution, and a lower start value if the skill isn’t counted depending if it’s a Special Requirement or needed as a letter value. It’s better to just not do it. There are several skills they could compete instead.

Reactions: JBS
Xcel can have a spot - though it is a .5 deduction. I went through the wringer and back on this with my coaches. I eventually got through the mental block and I now compete the skill without a spot. The skill doesn't count if the coach has to do the skill for the gymnast though. Better to not compete the skill if it's not ready to be performed without a spot.

I was browsing the code of points and didn’t see spot for floor. I see if for the other events though. But I could have overlooked it.
do all events have the deduction for a spot at this lower level?
Are you asking about a physical spot (coach touches the gymnast) or a stand in spot (comfort and safety)?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back