Parents Engaging the core

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! My daughter has recently had her hours at gym massively increased which she is really enjoying! They do a lot of conditioning but there seems to be a connection issue, she is able to do most of the core exercises but then when she has to use her core in activities eg leg lifts, chin up and over etc she really struggles as it’s like she doesn’t know how to link her stomach strength with using the muscles. She defo has muscles that have developed- you can see them and she can hold plank for 3 minutes (she’s just 6) but it’s like she doesn’t know how to engage those muscles. Similar with chin up and over on the bar, she’s got the ability to do chin up and then if she has movement she can go over (eg if she can jump so has momentum) but from hanging she struggles to engage her core to use her strength to get over. I hope this makes sense! Any tips on how to help her with this awareness?

I’m a coach and a parent and I teach development groups this age. Not everyone gets the idea of making these connections and using their core as early as 6, it can take a while as it’s quite a sophisticated concept. We do a lot of arch and dish exercises, v sits and so on, which can help the youngsters feel the muscles more. When she is doing pull-ups the main way to engage the core is to ensure the legs are straight and together and toes pointed all the time. If she finds that hard it may be that she still needs to build up more strength to be able to pull up and over.

They do a lot of conditioning but there seems to be a connection issue

This is normal… it is very easy to engage the core when doing a crunch (sit up / moving the upper half of the body towards the lower half). It is not easy when doing anything else.

Here are the steps I use with every athlete… I never do it differently…
  1. Teach them how to engage their core / and what it feels like during a regular crunch. Make them touch / slap their own stomach so they can see if it is hard. If the core is not engaged… have them keep trying until they get it. By crossing the arms across the chest and slightly sitting up… the core will automatically engage… so not too hard. Getting them to understand is the harder part.
  2. Same steps at #1… except now standing. Cross the arms across chest… crunch down… have them feel their stomach and see if it is engaged.
  3. Now while standing or in handstand or hanging… this time no crunching the upper body… just engage.
One of the major keys is to tighten the core before the anything even happens. For example… on vault… tighten the core before the run while still at the back of the runway. On floor before the pass while in the corner.

A tight core will not only help the skills… but it will create a more powerful run as well.

Most 6 year olds don’t have the ability To fully transfer that muscles engagement from the conditioning work to the actual skills. That is very normal.

They need ti be constantly reminded and encouraged to do so at this age too because they forget. Even when they can do it, they forget to do it!

This is normal… it is very easy to engage the core when doing a crunch (sit up / moving the upper half of the body towards the lower half). It is not easy when doing anything else.

Here are the steps I use with every athlete… I never do it differently…
  1. Teach them how to engage their core / and what it feels like during a regular crunch. Make them touch / slap their own stomach so they can see if it is hard. If the core is not engaged… have them keep trying until they get it. By crossing the arms across the chest and slightly sitting up… the core will automatically engage… so not too hard. Getting them to understand is the harder part.
  2. Same steps at #1… except now standing. Cross the arms across chest… crunch down… have them feel their stomach and see if it is engaged.
  3. Now while standing or in handstand or hanging… this time no crunching the upper body… just engage.
One of the major keys is to tighten the core before the anything even happens. For example… on vault… tighten the core before the run while still at the back of the runway. On floor before the pass while in the corner.

A tight core will not only help the skills… but it will create a more powerful run as well.
In track we teach "stand tall on your toes and start your exercise from there" (like skipping, running, sprinting, dribbling, hurdling etc.). Engages the core and sets them up the right way.

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back