Parents Squat on help…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok I’m back. Y’all helped with her connection which looks AMAZING now with virtually no pause but she can’t get the squat on now.

It’s hit or miss. Not sure how to help. She says she isn’t getting her shoulders all the the way over. The difference I see is when she gets it she is more standing not sitting.

Any other tips/tricks out there to connect it all together?

The difference I see is when she gets it she is more standing not sitting.

It's just that... we eventually teach our upper level kids pike / stoop ons...
  1. Make sure she knows how to fall (hang on and flip over the bar)
  2. The focus (eyes) should be on the low bar / down first and then the high bar. Looking at the high bar right away many times causes the athlete to fall back or squat a ton.
  3. Work box squat ons

This is what I meant by box squat ons (at 32 seconds)... this video calls it pike drags ups...

We do it faster though... and all the way up to the top of the box.

We teach squat ons to end up like the ones in college... like this one...

Eyes down first...

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 9.56.12 PM.png

Then eyes to high bar on stand up...

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 9.57.29 PM.png

This is what I meant by box squat ons (at 32 seconds)... this video calls it pike drags ups...

We do it faster though... and all the way up to the top of the box.

Read my mind "what is a box squat on" thanks for the visual!!!

A lot of the time, the problem seems to be where the gymnast is looking. Most start out trying to look down at the bar or the floor, looking down pushes the hips and shoulders backwards.

Looking up at the high bar will help this.

A lot of the time, the problem seems to be where the gymnast is looking. Most start out trying to look down at the bar or the floor, looking down pushes the hips and shoulders backwards.

Looking up at the high bar will help this.
anything at home she can do to condition to help this skill become my successful ?

I would highly recommend that gymnasts learn how to do a sole circle when the skill is allowed for the level they are competing. The ability to do it has saved my dd at a few meets when she realized that she was leaning too far back in the squat on to stand up.

For xcel gold, If you complete the sole circle all the way around and then jump to high bar, yes. If you do not and fall off without going to high bar, no

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back