WAG Punch front or front tuck on floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am having trouble with landing a punch front or a front tuck on floor. I need for my gold pass but I always land on my butt. How can I get a more powerful punch or run or get more height or something? I have really good on tumble track and stick it most of the time but when I try to do it even on rod floor I sort of hit my feet on the ground then plop on to my bottom. I am a righty and I usually run left, right, left, punch or right, left, right, left, punch. Do I need to run harder or run more or punch harder or set higher or rotate faster idk! Any help would be appreciated!

Focus on pushing the floor down with the ball of your feet on takeoff, and focus on lifting the back of your head towards the ceiling; for any technical feedback beyond that, I'd have to see a video of what you're doing.

But on a punch front, poor technique can often be overcome by raw strength. So regardless of your technique, the following exercises will likely help:
-Calf raises
-Sprints (and running in general, but especially sprinting)
-Squats and/or squat jumps
-Hollow rockers & arch rockers (for general core strength)

I am emphatically not a fan of a short hurdle.

I do like a low hurdle, though. Long, low, and fast.
My hurdle is almost as high and short as the tuck itself. I compete a front pike because I have too much power for a front tuck without a connection. For vault I have a really long and low hurdle though. I also do for a front handspring step out. Just the way I've been taught I guess.

Btw i take the same steps as you so you dont technically need more steps. It gives me enough power, but you could mess around with it if you think it will help

The others have good tips above!

Years ago, we had a girl who struggled with the same. Playing around at an open gym session, we set up a springboard and some mats and had her do a few dive-rolls on to an 8-incher, then built up a stack. We followed with the same progression of front tucks off the springboard. You could see the immediate improvement in arm/chest angles at take-off. When we took away the springboard, she was able to do the punch front on to a 4-inch mat. Now we do that quite often. Safe and easy.

I am having trouble with landing a punch front or a front tuck on floor. I need for my gold pass but I always land on my butt. How can I get a more powerful punch or run or get more height or something? I have really good on tumble track and stick it most of the time but when I try to do it even on rod floor I sort of hit my feet on the ground then plop on to my bottom. I am a righty and I usually run left, right, left, punch or right, left, right, left, punch. Do I need to run harder or run more or punch harder or set higher or rotate faster idk! Any help would be appreciated!
What really helped me when I was getting my front tuck was having a good set. Try your best to keep your arms up when going for it because then that will be the way you go! UP!

Try leaning back when you punch, just like on vault when you lean back a little when you punch to go up and forward, same thing with a front tuck. When you punch try looking up a bit, this will help you lean back. You can also use your arms to help launch you by lifting them to be behind your ears when you punch, and quickly bringing your hands to grab your shins when you flip, this will rotate you faster and give you more time to land. Hope this helps!

Try pretend you're arms are being pulled up into the ceiling as you punch and throw forward and tuck as tight as you can immediately, don't even think of making it longer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back