Parents Time off from gym, update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

So dd has been 'team-less' for about a week now. I can tell she likes the less stressful schedule.

She did have to move her school schedule around, since while she was on a gym team, she qualified for 'off campus PE' and could come home one hour earlier. They had to put PE back in her schedule, so her classes got re-arranged a bit, which meant she got a different lunch period. She's only been at her new school a couple of weeks, and the one friend she really likes is now no longer in any of her classes, or her lunch! I feel so bad for her! But she knew going into this decision that this might happen, and still wanted to do it.

She went to the 'teen tumbling' class yesterday at the new gym in our town. It was weird for her to be w/ only three other girls, who were still just trying to learn BHS's! But the coach did a great job individualizing for her, and had her working on her 'full' by the end of class. She sort of got it, it was more like a 1/4, but it's a start!

Anyway, the owner came over to talk to us afterwards and said she was realy happy that dd was there. I should mention this owner is a former college gymnast! DD asked about open gym, so she could keep up her skills on bars beam & vault. They don't have an official 'open gym' time yet, so the owner offered for dd to just come in & work out when she (the owner) is there, at no charge! She even said "I can make a little workout plan for you, if you want." Isn't that nice? I just love this gal, and she really loves the sport, you can tell. She also wants to arrange for dd to meet the girl's team coordinator, who will be officially starting up the team in April.

DD is now saying "so, what will I do w/ my school schedule in April, if I join the team?", which tells me she is thinking about gettiing back into it....

DD is going in on Friday to work on bars beam & vault, so I will let you know how that goes.

I am loving the less stressful schedule we are having, I must admit! Anyway, time will tell how this all pans-out. In the mean-time, I think this 'break' has been very healthy for her. She is getting more time in her scoliosis brace, and it's giving her body a rest as well, which is good!

Thanks for letting me ramble...:eek:

Good luck to you & DD as you work through all of this! You have all been through so many changes lately...I think some time to catch your breath is a great idea. This new gym sounds like a really nice place! Good luck & keep us posted!

I think it's great to step back and look at where you are going. It sounds like she really has thought all this through. So grown up. Enjoy the less stress schedule, that sounds nice.

That sounds great, I am so glad that you have met a coach that just gets your DD, she'll have a blast and stay fit with that kind of enthusiasm around her.

Shame about the new school pal, but she must must be really good at making new friends these days!

Glad the brace wearing is going well, what is the outfit of choice when wearing it?

How are you doing, found anything interesting to get into?

Sounds like you found a great gym to go to. Tell dd that you'll worrry about April and team when/if it happens. If they are just starting to build a team program, it may take a little while before practice times and who is on what team are all sorted out and by then, school will be over.

Glad she's less stressed----I'm sure your stress level has dropped alot too!!

That sounds great, I am so glad that you have met a coach that just gets your DD, she'll have a blast and stay fit with that kind of enthusiasm around her.

Shame about the new school pal, but she must must be really good at making new friends these days!

Glad the brace wearing is going well, what is the outfit of choice when wearing it?

How are you doing, found anything interesting to get into?
Heh, heh! Good point, Bog. I do need to get a life! Haven't found any 'interests' yet. Been somewhat busy setting-up house. We have more bedrooms here than we did in FL, so I 've beeen making multiple trips to Bed Bath & Beyond & Target, etc., to get all the necessary stuff!

BUT, there IS a ladies nite going on in my neighborhood tomorrow night that I was invited to. So, I guess I gotta get out there and meet new people...I hate being the new person...nerve-wracking!

As for your other question, the 'outfit of choice' for dd w/ brace is currently PJ Bottoms & T-shirt. She hasn't really gone out of the house after school to meet friends yet! But she did finally meet a girl from our neighborhood on the bus home today, which is great! She was not taking the bus home before, as I picked her up early due to off-campus PE, so now we've finally had a 'perk' for her doing the 'normal kid' thing!

Thanks!

Sounds like you found a great gym to go to. Tell dd that you'll worrry about April and team when/if it happens. If they are just starting to build a team program, it may take a little while before practice times and who is on what team are all sorted out and by then, school will be over.

Glad she's less stressed----I'm sure your stress level has dropped alot too!!
Thanks glm! That is exactly what I told her. She'll just have to work 'team' stuff around her current school schedule, b/c I am NOT having her change it again! And, as you said, it's not that long until Summer after the girls team coordinator arrives, so they probably will still be 'building' the program (although, she is reportedly bringing a portion her former team w/ her).

And yes, I am enjoying the less-pressing schedule, Thank you!

Glad things are working out for the most part right now, except for lunch and her friend. I am sure she will make new friends real soon and she will still have time to hang out with her old friend. :)

Thanks for the update, I am glad that things seem to be working out for your dd. She sounds happy, which is really all we want for our kids, huh!

Keep us updated with how things are going...

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back