NCAA Is College Gymnastics possible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello, I have a Current Level 7 Gymnast- she will turn 14 in May. She would be Level 8 except was working through some fears and blocks for a bit. Image is poised to be Level 8 for next season . given her age and being. Freshmen in high school next season, how realistic is it for her to be at the level needed compete D3 or D2 in college?

As long as she continues to progress steadily with her skills and can put together high SV L10 routines by 11th/12th grade, D3 is realistic. D2 as well if she is scoring high in a couple events.

Not gymnastics but one thing to keep in the back of your mind if gymnastics does not work out, many gymnasts go into diving and do very well. If you have a gymnast that really wants to compete in college and starts to lose her love of gymnastics as a teen, diving may also offer college opportunities. It's a small sport and it think it may be easier to get recruited in diving because there are less people competing for spots. My gymnast turned diver practices at the high school level at a club at a D1 school. The D1 school has 5 female divers. At least 2 of them transitioned from optional level gymnastics to diving in high school.

Not gymnastics but one thing to keep in the back of your mind if gymnastics does not work out, many gymnasts go into diving and do very well. If you have a gymnast that really wants to compete in college and starts to lose her love of gymnastics as a teen, diving may also offer college opportunities. It's a small sport and it think it may be easier to get recruited in diving because there are less people competing for spots. My gymnast turned diver practices at the high school level at a club at a D1 school. The D1 school has 5 female divers. At least 2 of them transitioned from optional level gymnastics to diving in high school.
pole vaulting is also really popular for former gymnasts

I was just at a D1 conference diving championship- a very competitive conference that sends many divers to NCAAs. I got bored during a break and did some work on mymeetscores. ~55% of the divers had been Level 7 or above gymnasts at some point. The majority were level 8s, with a few former level 9s and 10s. Based on Instagram accounts, very few were rec or competitive divers during their gymnastics careers and most picked up diving in 8th grade or later, with many starting their sophomore or junior years. The gap between the dive lists of the 2 olympians competing versus the rest of the field was pretty big, though. I will say that my daughter was a little disappointed at the atmosphere because it was quieter and less attended than even summer rec dive meets (nevermind college gymnastics!), but I think regular dual meets are rowdier because they include the entire swim & dive team.

I will say that my daughter was a little disappointed at the atmosphere because it was quieter and less attended than even summer rec dive meets (nevermind college gymnastics!), but I think regular dual meets are rowdier because they include the entire swim & dive team.
I know you are talking about college but as a former gym mom, I have to say that I do not miss those competitive swim meets. The length of the meets, the over-stimulation from the crowd noicse and echos, and the chlorine smell really used to get to me. I would take a gym meet any day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back