Skills For Level 8 Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gimchick

wha r some skills needed on beam for level 8 /a b c/ how many what ....... and what r the deductions? any info helps...confused , this is for usag

I don't know like a b and c but I am a level 8 at a YMCA and I have everything I need to have..
so my beam routine is wolf tuck quarter,
bhs bhs,
full turn, switch leap, split leap split jump, front pike dismount

Thanks, blairbob, what are some examples of saltos and acro?

Offhand, the gym I'm currently at doesn't have any L8's as they all left or retired last summer. I can't really remember what the L8's at my old gym used to do and I haven't made an optional meet this spring ( I'm going next week and told my old girls I'd go watch State 7-9. ) as I still hang out at that gym and workout there.

If you download Gymquest and run the study aid, you can select L8 and beam and see what skills are listed. It would be better to read the L8 JO code if you have access to it.

Gymquest:
http://www.geocities.com/gymquest/

Saltos could be front or back flip or gainer to the side. Front Layout and twisting backs are worth a B instead of the ones before that are worth an A.

Acro: Back Walkover-Back handspring( w/ step out ). Front handspring should count as an element with flight.

As for deductions, gymquest show all those as will the JO code book.

Gimchick for level 8 you need a flight serious with two flight elements.... are point in a move when nothing is touching the beam...i.e.
backhandspring, backhandspring
roundoff backhandspring
fronthandspring front handspring
fronthandspring roundoff
backhandspring backtuck

That's actually the level 9 requirement. 8s only need two directly connected "moving" elements (i.e. no handstand), with one having flight. Two flight skills in direct connection is more common and you might get hit with not up to the level depending on the rest of the elements in the routine, but a series like back walkover-back handspring does fulfill the acro series requirement in level 8.

A lot of gyms around here aim for BHS BHS, but there are a lot of first years doing BWO BHS. Almost everyone repeats 8 and by second year they are usually more likely to do BHS BHS or BHS BT, or something with a salto like BWO BT. The standing back tuck has become another "gold standard" element of the competitive level 8 routine, along with C jumps (i.e. straddle) connected to a switch leap. Dismount is usually a front pike or layout, or a RO/CW to layout or tuck half twist (I don't see a majority doing full twisting dismounts in 8 yet, they're out there but most girls are just flipping layouts or tucks). The most common "competitive" level 8 routine is along the lines of BHS BHS, switch-straddle, standing back tuck, full turn, RO salto. But you can do a BWO BHS or a CW-RO.

8s need 4 As, 4 Bs.

Sorry, to amend my post, I meant to say that two flight elements in direct connection is getting more common, at least in my area. I still don't think there are more BHS BHSs than BWO BHS yet. Maybe half and half. But when I did L8, the BHS BHS was used at least a little less. At regionals a lot of girls have BHS BHS. From the youtube videos I have watched, in some areas that are known to be very competitive, the BHS BHS may well be more common.

BlairBob thanks for the gymquest download link! My DD is always reviewing her meet videos and looking to see where "the rest of my score went" lol! It's amazing how the "little things" (like bent knees and bent arms) really can add up and take a chunk out of a gymnast's overall score. This is a nice tool for parents to have for their education, as long as it ISN'T used to berate their kids' performance, or throw in the coaches' faces with "Why aren't you correcting these deductions?". Thanks again!

Just wanted to add you cant do fronthandsprings in level 8 because of the value. My daughter did frontwalkover roundoff. You have to be very good at it to get the connection value.She did a full twisting dismount.You just see alot of backwakover backhandsprings .

My gymmie is a L8 and her beam routine is as follows: bwo-bhs, dance/pose, full turn, switch leap/split jump, tuck 1/2 jump, some other dance stuff and then ro-back tuck for dismount. I think thats the whole routine---I have trouble watching it!!!!

At Level 8 a Handspring Forward on beam is allowed. It is a "B" Value Part. "C" Value Parts may be performed at Level 8 but will only be given credit as a "B" Value Part.
Personally, I'd like to see more Handsprings Forward and combinations using it on beam. How about a Handspring Forward, Dive Cartwheel? Or maybe a Tinsica, Handspring Forward? Maybe a Free Forward Roll mount, Handspring Forward? There are so many possibilities that fulfill the Flight requirement. The same old Back Walkover, Back Handspring or Back Handspring, Back Handspring combination has become far too common.

My dd's L8 routine is simple mount, BT, switch leap, jump series of split leap, beat jump. BHS-BHS, full turn, FHS, RO-BT with some dancy poses in there too. When she hits, it can score pretty high. Here is the video from her last meet and you can watch her beam routine:

YouTube - L8 Sectional March 09

I agree with some previous posters, we are in an area where many gyms do BHS-BHS and I do see quite a few BT, but I rarely see a FHS. Only dd from her team does one, but she does have one team mate that does a FWO.

From the meets that I have been to this season and what I have seen on beam (at meets and on you tube), I have only seen dd have BT, BHS-BHS and FHS on beam for level 8.

She is working FHS-BHS series maybe getting to the point of FHS-BT. I could also see her as a front aerial type of person. She can do side aerial, but not allowed at L8 - will use in 9 though.

At Level 8 a Handspring Forward on beam is allowed. It is a "B" Value Part. "C" Value Parts may be performed at Level 8 but will only be given credit as a "B" Value Part.
Personally, I'd like to see more Handsprings Forward and combinations using it on beam. How about a Handspring Forward, Dive Cartwheel? Or maybe a Tinsica, Handspring Forward? Maybe a Free Forward Roll mount, Handspring Forward? There are so many possibilities that fulfill the Flight requirement. The same old Back Walkover, Back Handspring or Back Handspring, Back Handspring combination has become far too common.

The acro series needs to start and end on the beam, so nothing using a mount will count.

FHS is usually an iffy connection, which is why most coaches prefer BWO BHS or BHS BHS in 8. Also, moving towards L10 progressions, a series with a C is needed. Back layout and back tuck both fulfill this, and more are capable of BHS BT or BHS back layout in my experience than a front layout on beam (though they do look nice). You need a front or side acro element not to get compositional though, and I actually see a lot of forward and side acro. Front tuck and aerial probably most common in 9 and 10. Many L7s and 8s are dismounting with CW and RO tuck/layout. The consistency needed in NCAA beam has made BHS back layout the gold standard and coaches in the JO system are working those progressions. The back connections are "scarier" but present a lot of opportunities for growth with harder skills or triple series (which USAG JO *and* NCAA should both encourage more - there's basically no real incentive now to do a triple series over throwing in another acro skill unconnected). Or connection to dismount.

There's a reason that back tumbling on beam is more common-- any wobble or foot readjustment in a connection will break the series. I would not recommend relying on a front connection, especially a FHS to BHS/BT, unless you absolutely can't do a BHS. Plus, it's much easier to get a less flexible kid to do a BHS BT or BHS LOSO than it is to teach them a front aerial that's connectable 100% of the time.

I understand. Gymnastics has basically adopted the K.I.S.S (acronym for keep it simple silly) Syndrome.

A Free Front Roll (not a mount), Handspring Forward would be a Flight series, correct?
I'd love to see a Level 9 or 10 do a Swing Backward to Handstand Forward Roll into a Kivisto (it's a very cool salto!), which is a B, C combination.
It would be neat to see a Level 8 do something different like a Swing Backward to Walkover Forward, Handspring Forward.
Gymnastics is a tough sport for tough athletes. How many times have we seen a gymnast competing in the World Championships or Olympics wobble or fall on a difficult element, or even a commonly used element? I've seen gymnasts at all levels and in Olympic competition wobble on a simple full turn. I personally, would like to see more originality in routines. I hope someday we do.

Oh please, a BHS LOSO is not "simple." it's more like "find a reliable series that doesn't give you unnecessary deductions."

The swing HS forward roll to Kivisto would not fulfill L9/10 beam requirements because the HS forward roll does not have flight. Also, again, the reason that not many gymnasts do forward series is because it's really, really hard to get the connection. My gym has a L7 who does a FHS, but she will absolutely not do FHS BHS in L8 because you can't rely on that series, period. I don't know anyone at my gym who hasn't played with FHS BHS or FHS BT, but none of us would get the connection with a competent judge, even the ones that stuck with it for a season and competed it.

A Free Front Roll (not a mount), Handspring Forward would be a Flight series, correct?

In 7 or 8, but what's the progression for 9 and 10? BWO BHS leads to BHS BHS and BHS salto. It's not about simplicity, it's about actually connecting acro elements. Many optionals are doing forward and side skills and connections, they just aren't relying on it for their acro series. In 7 and 8, most coaches are concerned with the "building blocks" and not competing every skill. Once they have solid handsprings and a tuck (plus a RO dismount), then you can work a lot more. If you're going to do front aerial into a back series, you need a solid back series first. It takes years to build up to a solid layout with good form.

Also, roll to handspring would be kind of awkward. I'd rather see the handspring first if anything.

GymDog, you mentioned CW-BT for dismounts in L7 & L8...is that still a "B" dismount, or does the skill leading up to the dismount need flight (like RO to BT)?

A cartwheel back tuck dismount is A+A. The element leading up to the dismount is not required to have flight, and your dismount doesn't need a direct connection (you could do a standing back tuck or a running front tuck, etc.).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back