The week after states is my favorite week of the year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
So here's how the season always goes: we work on routines, with whatever time is left working either basics or next-level skills. But really, we don't spend a large amount of time focusing on the next-level skills; they're peripheral. So the boys spend the season improving their basics, getting restless with the fact that they're right on the verge of all this new stuff.

Then the season ends and we throw open the floodgates.

In the one week since states, my seven boys have picked up a total of 14 new skills.

Hey, Geoffrey --

I was interested to read your post here, since my boy (and I) are having our first post-season break, and we're both experiencing withdrawal. :D

I'm passing the time by organizing and editing all the video and snapshots I took all season, and my son has spent an incredible amount of time on the mushroom (in our living room). That crazy dude is already putting together spindles and even some praiseworthy flairs (a beginning, at least).

You leave me wanting to know more details about the new skills you refer to. What skills at what levels? Does "picked up" mean they already have the hang of it?

You sound like you truly enjoy what you're doing. I'm betting your a great coach. :)

- Harv

You leave me wanting to know more details about the new skills you refer to. What skills at what levels? Does "picked up" mean they already have the hang of it?

One level 5 got his false scissors on both sides and his feint dismount on pommel horse, and his stockli on mushroom (and pommel horse is generally his weakest event). My level 4 got his inlocate and his flyaway on rings. Another L5 got his stockli on mushroom, his dislocates on rings, and his double-back off rings (still spotted, but it's his first double-rotating skill done outside of a pit, so I still consider it to be a huge step forward). One L6 got his back tuck off p-bars, as well as his double-back off rings (again, spotted, but it's his first double-flipping skill outside of a pit). One L5 got his back loops on pommel horse and his stockli on mushroom.

You sound like you truly enjoy what you're doing. I'm betting your a great coach. :)
Thanks! And yes, I definitely love my job :D

Last edited:
Awesome. Our first week back was mixed. Monday I introduced 2 more boys to the team squad from work and the boys were so not into doing anything organized besides quite a bit of bickering on Monday and Wednesday.

Friday however was awesome. Those 2 bickering 10yo were both gone camping and at a sleepover. I had just the 2 new guys, 1 of our giggly "L3's" and the 3rd team boy who is lowest on the totem pole. In fact he had the last hour of workout to himself as the other boys only go 2 hours.

However, tomorrow they'll all be back.*sigh*. I wish we gave them a week or two away.

As well, we are back to refining basics and swing mechanics besides a focus on HS, strength and flexibility. We'll be doing 3 cycles of 8 weeks for the off-season in which I will probably adjust what we do after each cycle to see if they are getting results.

Geoffrey, you ever look into Future Stars?

As long as we have a couple of great boys coaches working this thread, maybe one of you could tell me what this stockli thing is. I can't find a good explanation on the internet. :eek:

- Harv

Awesome. Our first week back was mixed. Monday I introduced 2 more boys to the team squad from work and the boys were so not into doing anything organized besides quite a bit of bickering on Monday and Wednesday.

Friday however was awesome. Those 2 bickering 10yo were both gone camping and at a sleepover. I had just the 2 new guys, 1 of our giggly "L3's" and the 3rd team boy who is lowest on the totem pole. In fact he had the last hour of workout to himself as the other boys only go 2 hours.

However, tomorrow they'll all be back.*sigh*. I wish we gave them a week or two away.

As well, we are back to refining basics and swing mechanics besides a focus on HS, strength and flexibility. We'll be doing 3 cycles of 8 weeks for the off-season in which I will probably adjust what we do after each cycle to see if they are getting results.

Geoffrey, you ever look into Future Stars?

I haven't ever done the future stars program; I've never really felt the need. However, if I keep getting more guys as talented as the ones I've been lucky enough to get this year, I may look into it.

As long as we have a couple of great boys coaches working this thread, maybe one of you could tell me what this stockli thing is. I can't find a good explanation on the internet.

It's difficult to explain without demonstrating, but basically it's a circle with a half turn in the same direction as the circle; specifically, it's a half turn done with the hands behind the back. I'll see if I can find a video (or film one myself) when I get back home this weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks, Geoffrey!

Nice video. Good study in mushrooming, flaws or not. And now even I understand what a stockli is. :D

Talented kid. Nice uhh... gym, too. ;)

- Harv

Thanks, Geoffrey!

Nice video. Good study in mushrooming, flaws or not. And now even I understand what a stockli is. :D

Talented kid. Nice uhh... gym, too. ;)

- Harv

To clarify: the kid in the video isn't one of mine; he's just some kid who came up when I did a youtube search for level 6 mushroom.

In other news, the new skills keep on comming, especially for one of my level 5s (seems so incongruous to call him that since his skills go so far beyond where they were when I put him at level 5 at the beginning of the season); last night he did a tsuk onto a mat in a pit. This from a 10-year-old who's only been doing gymnastics for about 3 years.

I definitely agree that the week after states is a new beginning, unless some of the boys make it to regionals. So, two out of four Level 5's and our only Level 6 made it to regionals this weekend. But it has been fun already teaching the Level 4's new skills for the past couple of weeks.

Also, after regionals, we are going to bump up the Level 4's that competed this season to the older group, and bring in a whole new batch of kids to the younger group. Our team is growing!!

Shane, I just noticed that you're from FL, which means we probably ran into each other on friday at regionals.

Bumping this one back up rather than starting a new thread.

So the crazy-fast acquisition of a lot of new skills seemed to delay a bit more this year, occurring a couple months after states. But now it seems to be in full swing.

In the past week, one of my boys did a (spotted) double back on floor for the first time AND a (spotted) giant on p-bars for the first time. One got his scissor 1/2 on pommels (and, only a week or two ago, got his moy to support on p-bars). One got his scissor hop on pommels and his (spotted) double back off rings. One, earlier today, got his double back off rings without a spot (and let me tell you, it is BEAUTIFUL). One got his Sivado on pommels (though sadly, he's quitting -- he got his sivado in the last couple minutes of his last day at the gym).

I love the off-season.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back