I'm Walking! Advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So as a lot of you know, i broke my foot doing a layout stepout on beam a little over 3 weeks ago. Today i got to start walking on it, and it feels pretty good. I didn't have to have surgery or anything despite finishing my beam routine on it (oops!) Anyways, i'm wondering what your guys' opinions are on basics and doing bars. I know you're not doctors, and i promise i won't sue any of you or anything stupid like that, but i'm just wondering what you think about doing some bars stuff and doing basics, like cartwheels, frontwalkovers, and other stuff. Also, my m om is thinkning about having me walk on the eliptical machine?
I'm still in a cast :/ and supposedly i have 4 more weeks to go.

sorry about your foot ):
umm...i would do bars if your foot feels like you are up to it.
if their is a possibility that you will fall and could hurt your foot, i wouldn't do it.
I also don't think you should do dismounts on bars...kinda obvious though..lol:)
as to the beam basics...i would check with your coach and ask if she thinks your foot can handle that (when u get your cast off of course)
hope that hellps :)

Hi There,
I am a Mom of a kid who hurt her ankle last year. In a cast for 8 weeks. I am not sure what level you are but my kid worked on cast hand stands the entire 8 weeks in cast. In hindsight, it was the best thing that could have happened. While the other girls were learning giants, she could only do cast hs over and over. As it turns out, even though she was behind on learning the giant, by having to do the CHS's, she ended up being able to work on her form and her giants, according to her coaches are really beautiful and are excellent form. I contribute that to the hurt foot and all the work on the CHS. Coach said that will pay off in droves in level 9 when form is so important. So don't look at your injury as a set back, work on skills that will improve your other skills when you are healthy again. Just my two cents. Please talk to your coaches and Dr.s before you do anything. They are the experts.

Are you in a walking cast or has a doctor given you the go ahead to start walking with no brace?

I broke my foot when I was 13 or so. I started walking in the cast the next day.

When I got the cast off, I did not do anything barefoot for at least a week and I would suggest you do the same thing. Wear a pair of tennis shoes that provide support and do not take them off.

Don't do anything that puts support solely on that foot.

I started slow with some handsprings on tumble track, no salto landings. Back handspring and front bounders with tennis shoes, probably okay if it doesn't hurt AND you have been told by a doctor it is okay to have the cast/brace off.

Some bars should be okay, over the pit or somewhere you can drop to your back, again support for the foot, avoid landings on it. Strap bar would be good.

Take it slow. It's worth it in the end, right now things are relatively "weak" and prone to re-injury. There's no point in risking reinjury now because you'll just have a longer recovery.

i am waling in a cast to answer your question. Doc says i have 4 more weeks of being in a cast, but i'm hoping it will come off early.
I'm wondering, will doing stuff in a cast throw me out of balance? Should i wear a shoe or weight on the other foot to balance it out?
i'm also wondering if it would be ok to do giants. I've done them for 6 years, and they are definately consistent and stuff, but do you think the extra weight of the cast will throw them off?

I would wear a light ankle weight on the good ankle. One girl from our gym did this when she had a cast on her ankle. And just imagine how much easier it will be without the extra weight once you get the cast off!:rolleyes: Good luck.

i am waling in a cast to answer your question. Doc says i have 4 more weeks of being in a cast, but i'm hoping it will come off early.
I'm wondering, will doing stuff in a cast throw me out of balance? Should i wear a shoe or weight on the other foot to balance it out?
i'm also wondering if it would be ok to do giants. I've done them for 6 years, and they are definately consistent and stuff, but do you think the extra weight of the cast will throw them off?

I put a weight on my other ankle. I did do giants and free hips on strap and in the pit. On the pit bar it was too heavy for me to really giant, I more did like a baby giant to clear support and worked cast HSs. I don't think it really threw me off, but I'm not sure. Tap swings might be a better bet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back